Houzz Logo Print
buckleup2000

What is it that people LOVE about this Chicago home?

Luke Buckle
8 years ago

This home has been saved to more than 390,000 ideabooks., making it one of Houzz's most popular photos in the 7 years it has been around.

As trends come and go, some architecture is so well structured and aesthetically pleasing that certain styles never seem to date, the popularity of their design lingers well beyond the fleeting passion of the latest material, style or trick.

Custom Architecture · More Info

Why do you think the popularity of this home is so enduring?

The steep gables
The weatherboards
The contrasting colours
Other (tell us in the comments!)

Comments (33)

• jmm1837
    8 years ago

The colour, the crisp white trim, and the nice contrast between the angular gables, rectangular windows and trim, and the curves in the portico, window, door and roof line.

• Related Discussions

What do people think of this new hip hop artwork?

Q

Comments (1)
    Keep trying, you'll get there.
    ...See More

What do you love about HOUZZ?

Q

Comments (31)
    hate to tell you he would not care about that either. i know, i know. exe was always "watching the duckies" but this one is really a bit of a prude. eh, i love him maybe more for it, always faithful no matter how much i spy. lol
    ...See More

CORK. I love it but why aren't more people buying it?

Q

Comments (5)
    What at a fantastic find Rebecca. I also have a cork floor, and have found it faultless....even though it will be replaced. I'm not sure why it is so overlooked, as I'm doing the same despite knowing its benefits firsthand?? it needs to be featured across design, maybe it's just not marketed, designers are doing themselves a dis-service, but perhaps it needs a marketing shake up. I vote yes for cork. ML DESIGN
    ...See More

People in glass houses...energy efficiency anyone?

Q

Comments (13)
    In the UK for example they use a lot of roof windows but these are usually double or triple glazed, super insulated walls and roof's, etc. Mainly due to lacking good natural light they need these large glazed area's. They're thermal efficiency standards are a bit higher than ours as well. In Sydney we have cool winter's but certainly nothing like the UK. We have almost the opposite issue of heat. Therefore roof windows are not really a great idea. I'd almost say heating a house in winter is the least of your worries, for a couple months anyway. Cooling it for summer however... Double glazing is still not on everyones list of improving their homes. Sparkles and glitter is but not many care about the efficiency of their home.... If you add large windows or doors specific double glazing as a minimum. Use thermally broken aluminium frames or timber. PVC is slowly becoming popular. If you can insulate walls, floors and ceilings, replace existing windows and doors with double glazed this will go a long way to improving the home. An air-conditioned home or one that uses just ceiling fans can be very efficient once insulated.
    ...See More
  • Aussie Shepherd
    8 years ago

The softening of sharp angles with curves & decorative windows plus contrasting paints.

• Vy
    8 years ago

when I first looked at it I thought what the? as I kept on looking I thought it worked beautifully..

the details that went into the home..the contrasts in colours..shapes..a good marriage ..

• User
    8 years ago

We all like to look at it as long as we don't have to paint all that trim!

• jmm1837
    8 years ago

Well, Tribble, that's the difference between life in the glossy mags and life in the real world ;)

• dorosar
    8 years ago

all the details....makes most of our more modern homes look a bit boring :)

• User
    8 years ago

I had a cottage with a lot of trims. Lots of brush painting. Mind you I was a lot younger then. I think as girls we are programmed to like the dolls house look.

• LouieT
    8 years ago

Girls maybe but grown women maybe not...each to their own ;)

• Helen 72
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

The colours, the gables, just the overall style & setting. Pity we don't have more American style homes in Australia.

• bobhenderson
    8 years ago

Personally, I think it is a bit over the top but I admire the craftsmanship. The brain likes complexity and exploration. It is also interesting because it is like a great big piece of furniture rather than a residence solely.

• alary
    8 years ago
    it is pretty. The colours of the house are peaceful and crisp. The way the tree frames the house helps to soften the house, the garden is very pretty and also softens the picture. It has a way of making you feel welcome and wanting to walk up those front stairs and pause on the porch before going to investigate inside.
  • bjwoody
    8 years ago

I think it is the beautiful detailing and finishing touches. Perfect gable finish etc. It looks perfectly complete.

• Maryanne
    8 years ago
    I love the Windows.
  • PRO
    DDB Design Development & Building
    8 years ago

This house has a story. Although the paint scheme is very contemporary and the trim detail is meticulous It subconsciously emanates the perfect home , happy family, wonderful childhood and happy holiday family gatherings like Thanks Giving represented in so many American movies. From the lush garden to the welcoming lights on in every room. It is a well loved home full of pride and joy. It is a safe haven.

• Bunyip
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

It's lovely, it looks inviting and warm. My favourite thing about it is the verandah, hands down. It's perfect.

• vivien4
    8 years ago

Just stunning. Beautiful trims, lovely colour contrasts. Picturebook perfect

Luke Buckle thanked vivien4
  • ctwalker1967
    8 years ago

everything... the house is gorgeous and the gardens too.

Luke Buckle thanked ctwalker1967
  • Kerrie Langloy7
    8 years ago

It just looks like a happy house, safe, comfortable where life is peaceful & happy. Probably because it's an old traditional style from when life was simpler.

• Barbara Dunstan
    8 years ago

The house is just perfect in every way, the paintwork, lovely colours, the sparkling clean windows, a neat as a pin garden and the welcoming glow of the lights, both inside and out!!

Luke Buckle thanked Barbara Dunstan
  • jmm1837
    8 years ago

Aside from the look of the place, I think its popularity might have to do with a whole lot of people having grown up in places where houses like this were the kinds of houses we dreamed about. I know, in my (Canadian) childhood, there were a lot of older (say 1890s) houses in older areas of my city that looked like this. We lived in bog standard 50s and 60s "ticky tacky boxes" so something like this was a dream.

• mwenn
    8 years ago
    It's the way it sits so beautifully in its setting, trees, garden, so immaculate, it's the whole package. Not too big or too small, its easy to picture yourself living there. I love these American styled homes with basements and attics and room for a garden! It's unfortunate most Australian homes take up the whole block these days no storage other than the garage and barely room for a tree.
  • kskarrasch
    8 years ago

It's because it embodies what we see in the old story books - a romantic imagination of a 5yo that stays with us throughout our lives. I agree with the comment above that in Australia we don't have the character style base in our architectural style - like the Americans do, going more for practicality than aesthetics.

• User
    8 years ago

It depends what suburbs /towns you go to. Places away from the rail lines have often kept their charm, away from the march of progress.

• Em Bee
    8 years ago
    Did anyone notice the use of copper on the bay window and gutters? It is beautiful, for sure! But, if you are over 60 you tend to think of all the STAIRS to climb. Definitely need domestic help to vacuum them, Lol.
    Luke Buckle thanked Em Bee
  • jmm1837
    8 years ago

@Em Bee - well as to stairs, why do so many new developments consist entirely of two-storey "box houses?'' Where I live, there's an aging demographic but most of the new homes being constructed, at least the ones close into town on brownfield sites, are two floors, so no better than the house in the story, and much less attractive. Won't someone please think of the oldies? Hrmmph.

• Em Bee
    8 years ago
    @JMM1837... It IS an ageing society but the most affordable homes for the young people are the two story ones as it is cheaper to built up, than out. The municipalities get more $$ per unit per acre with these type of subdivisions and with Ontario anyway, farmland cannot be encroached on in a number of areas, so they have to cram houses one on top of another. We want to be able to stay as long as we can in our home, so the one we are building right now is a 1600 sq. ft. bungalow, with the back sloped enough to have the basement have big windows for the Man Cave, plus a washroom and another bedroom. We had the doorways all made 32 inches wide to accommodate a walker if need be. We have two bedrooms and two bathrooms upstairs...it is open plan. We heard recently there is a strong demand for this type of home. We are glad we planned our house this way so we can live here til we need assisted living, God forbid. Oh well....
  • jmm1837
    8 years ago

@EmBee - oh, I was just having a grumble. I do understand the issue with limited land availability and pressures on housing stocks - and of course housing affordability (I once lived in Vancouver!). However, when my better half and I decided we needed to move from (very) small town New South Wales to be closer to a bigger town with better facilities, we had the devil of a time finding a single-level house that wasn't a horrible little unit or 10 km out of town. We did finally find a builder who'd just torn down an ugly 60s house close in to the town centre, and was planning to put two singles on the lot. We snapped it up. But it took two years to find him and it. Our neighbours in the other house he built had much the same tale of woe. And yet the demographics of this particular town is very much on the middle-aged and senior side of the scale. The builders aren't building for the people who actually live or want to live here. Hrmmph again! And that's my rant for the day.

• User
    8 years ago

It's right, I'm hearing it from the baby boomers. There's competition between them and the first home buyers and overseas investors, for single level dwellings. Stands to reason it will get worse unless governments do something.

• jmm1837
    8 years ago

@Tribble - the situation is the same in Em Bee's part of the world as in ours. Aging demographic, lots of immigration and also internal migration, and of course offshore buying. But where I live, the issue isn't so much competition, as the inability of builders/developers to read the market. Our own builder (small builder, one project at a time, some of them industrial, not housing) told us that the two-story houses in our town were simply not selling that quickly, whereas the one-story houses were listed and gone. (He sold us our house before he tore down the old one, and sold the other house on the block about 3/4 of the way through the build and before it was ever listed. The two story house around the corner from us was on the market for 8 months).

I'm not a huge fan of government intervention in housing (I saw public housing in the UK and that was not a good thing) but I do think strong regulation on foreign property buyers is appropriate. That said, I also think the builders need to get their heads together and recognize that there's a boomer population that has a bit of money and wants something different than the bog-standard two-storey box house. Time for the developers to catch up. Okay, sorry, second rant for the day.

• curvythings2
    8 years ago

The type of windows and grand entrance and different roof pitches. Basically it is not a square box.

Luke Buckle thanked curvythings2
  • sharentolhurst
    8 years ago

It's the whole package. Its colour scheme is timeless. It's not just a box, it has interesting shapes and angles but looks cosy and inviting.

• Jess Suazo
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

If only more Australian building companies (Sydney) took this on board and built this style of home instead of the typical contemporary styles we're stuck with. Estate after estate being built with the same old boring houses. I'm over it! This house is clearly what people seek... it's stunning! C'mon Aussies... be more interesting. Build us what we really want!!!!

Luke Buckle thanked Jess Suazo