rahay131

I need assistance to complete this room pls!

ronalisa
4 years ago
I am stumped what to do to bring this room together. I know it needs rug, and I want to put the lge tv on the wall opposite the single armchairs, pls help me add the needed extras. Many thanks

• Tribbletrouble44152k7 Trek
    4 years ago

If testing out seating (or mattresses) don't get there tired. When you're tired almost any seat feels good.

• Ann B
    4 years ago
    I rather like the colours. Good luck.
    ronalisa thanked Ann B
  • Related Discussions

Need design assistance for my bedroom!

Q

Check out St Vinnies, lifeline etc. you can pick up some lovely old dressing tables, a quick sand, some gloss paint and some new handles is all you need. You can buy ceramic shells and other beachy Nic nacs that are great for holding jewellery etc. Beachy artwork / prints, of course, would help. Can you post a picture of your room. Good luck Karen
    ...See More

SOS: first time renovator needs assistance with a small kitchen layout

Q

Hi Jodie and okLouise! Thanks so much for your feedback. I was considering an island bench just to try space out the kitchen area a bit - the only issue with this option is that we'll need to do a bit of rework on the jarrah floorboards due to the gap left once the internal wall is removed. This is definitely something we're considering, I'm just cautious that it could be a tricky exercise (acquire the fill in sections of floor board, have a tradesman secure them/nail them and arrange sanding / oiling of the small section). I'm also a little cautious that the fill in section of flooring will stand out like a sore thumb... but we'll weigh this up and make some phone calls to see how tricky this would be. Sadly we don't have a floor plan. I'm going to sketch it up in AutoCAD once we've taken measurements of the entire house - this might take a bit of time though, so we thought we'd just start by measuring the kitchen / lounge first. Without trying to confuse you, the rest of the house is: - dining room through the internal opening (no door) right of the kitchen - internal door opening to hallway and bedrooms/bathroom opposite the kitchen - laundry on the wall on the RHS of the kitchen (from the views provided) And you're quite right Jodie - I was hoping to have the range hood as a feature! I think it will suit the style of kitchen that I'm going for. See the inspiration photo below: I am not entirely sure whether to go with dark cabinets because the space is so small, so I'll most likely stick to white (I know, safe and boring) but the overall style of the kitchens is what I'm going for.
    ...See More

Suggestions on living room furniture arrangement pls

Q

Option 3 also looks the best to me (seems to be the general fave!). Agreeing with the idea of an L shaped sofa that can seat more people, as an option you can also get a bed (fold out sofabed) fitted inside, if you think you will need an extra bed on occasion. For a bunch of living room furniture layout ideas, I've actually created a free PDF with loads of options/images and a kit to cut & paste your own ideas too. https://mailchi.mp/9c071e61583e/awkwardhome-furnitureplan Hope that helps! Best of luck, it is a fabulous large space!
    ...See More

New bed room completed

Q

For all your remote needs ? I don't have the remotest need for a white room with a couple of grey 'highlights' . Thanks though .
    ...See More
  • ronalisa
    Original Author
    4 years ago

excellent article with concepts to keep in mind - thanks

• ronalisa
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks for the article on "Trends" TTT. I must have missed it in all the comings and goings. Well, that is an eye opener, looks as if my colours are on trend or will be. So beige and blue are out - kind of pleased as the blue chair is no longer available. Returns policy on that online interiors isn't good, so will do the "bottom test" again and buy locally. Have heard though that what you test in store comfort wise is not necessarily what is delivered. Now that is a worry!

• Tribbletrouble44152k7 Trek
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Beige is on its way back, blue is never out. Both are considered neutrals. You have options. Keep researching what's out there.

• ronalisa
    Original Author
    4 years ago

being a girl, I should enjoy all this shopping, but it is a pain as I don't know what I am really looking for, but will keep looking. Thanks so much.

• Tribbletrouble44152k7 Trek
    4 years ago

You can hone down your options by looking at Houzz and other photos, putting them in your ideabooks and writing what you like underneath each photo. Initially you add everything that tickles your fancy, later you cull out things, and whittle down your look.

When I'm out shopping I see something from my research , often a lot cheaper.

• ronalisa
    Original Author
    4 years ago

good logical advice. I have a few pics already and my "ideas book" here on houzz I will use as a guide also. I truly am a classic / traditional person, but like a pop of contemporary be it either colour or an unusual eye catching piece. thanks so much for helping once again

2 FIND and DESIGN
    4 years ago
    I would suggest keeping larger purchases fairly neutral... Maybe consider textures to give them life. And slight variation in tone so not to match. Then you can accessories with your preferred colour scheme and switch out whenever you tire of the look? Blue to green etc... You are definitely making progress. An idea before committing to size is to do as you did with the piano and put paper down in the exact sizes to make sure you are happy with the flow of the space. Happy decorating!
    ronalisa thanked 2 FIND and DESIGN
  • ronalisa
    Original Author
    4 years ago

thank you. This is such a huge project for me as I am finding this mocha coloured carpet not easy to find colours for. I am hunting now to change existing furniture but finding the big retailers just don't have what I am looking for and I really don't know what I want.

2 FIND and DESIGN
    4 years ago
    Ronalisa where are you situated? Maybe a Google search for homewares and furniture stores in your area will bring to light some smaller retailers that might have something a little different. It's not easy making these decisions. Your saved images show the style you are attracted to. Go back through and study why and what they have. You may even find some furniture tagged with where it's from. This may help.
  • ronalisa
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I am in Brisbane. Will google homewards & furniture stores. Anything apart from Harvey Norman, Myer etc. thanks for your help

• ronalisa
    Original Author
    4 years ago

TTT this article was so very helpful. I particularly liked the pops of colour in one picture especially spoke to me with the amethyst armchair and turquoise lumbar cushion on another. The jewel colours make things pop. I didn't know this "beige" or whatever it is call in today's parlance could be accessorised to make it look "WOW", here I was thinking my quest is almost hopeless

• Tribbletrouble44152k7 Trek
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

One thing about Harvey Norman, they do sell alot of furniture made in Australia.

• ronalisa
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Oh, OK, certainly something to definitely consider !

2 FIND and DESIGN
    4 years ago
    Freedom furniture have these two and more on sale at the moment... There are a number of fabric choices for each. Just a thought...
  • ronalisa
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Great. Will do the "bottom test" and see how comfy they are. They look like they could be strong possibilities. We are doing the rounds again this Thursday. Current thinking is to have the 2 armchairs in different colours (similar colouring to the ones above) and different styles. something like a neutral 2.5 seater recliner and 2 different styled armchairs. I would love to be bold and have jewel colours ??? thoughts everyone please

• Tribbletrouble44152k7 Trek
    4 years ago

If you are keeping the brown carpet I suggest you don't get grey seating.

4 years ago
    I love Jewel colours. It's my dream to have a velvet amethyst or sapphire chair in the bedroom.
  • ronalisa
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Do you think it would be too much in a lounge? maybe we would tire of it ?

• ronalisa
    Original Author
    4 years ago

no, won't be getting grey seating.

• Ann B
    4 years ago
    How about borrowing the fabric choice book from the retailer(s) overnight and see how they look against your carpet? If they won't allow you to do this, then perhaps make note of the fabric manufacturer, style and colour (any codes too) and call around to curtain manufacturing shops to ask if they have that same fabric (as if you were going to have curtains made) and ask to borrow theirs overnight.
  • ronalisa
    Original Author
    4 years ago

good idea - thanks Ann B

• allanaspree
    4 years ago

Another idea to consider. I am not usually a fan of modular lounges however looking at the dimensions of the room & its constraints, the right modular lounge could work very well in your room. It would need to be simple, elegant & clean lined (sample pic below) not a big puffy one & you could add a statement chair if you wanted to. Would also give a nice view as you entered the room. There are many around these days designed for smaller & awkward areas. Just another thought ......

ronalisa thanked allanaspree
  • ronalisa
    Original Author
    4 years ago

hadn't considered this, but will see if we can find something on our hunting spree tomorrow. Thanks !

• ronalisa
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Went shopping at Nick Scali and put an order in for an "Ariel" 2.5 seater leather sofa (without the chaise on the side) in "Bianco" colour. On the way home, I had a panic attack "how am I going to keep it white". In the showroom I thought it would look lovely against the mocha carpet but commonsense prevailed and now I need help to choose a different colour of leather.

• ronalisa
    Original Author
    4 years ago

What colour leather do you suggest would look good against mocha coloured carpet. I need more help please - anyone !

• Tribbletrouble44152k7 Trek
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Taupe. Cream, Light blue. Caramel (hot right now). Just not dark brown or black, please.

ronalisa thanked Tribbletrouble44152k7 Trek
  • girlguides
    4 years ago
    Cream or beige
    ronalisa thanked girlguides
  • Ann B
    4 years ago
    Hmmm, I like the idea of caramel, but think great idea to bring sample book home and see for yourself. Trust yourself, take a breath, truly it will be fine. :)
  • Ann B
    4 years ago
    I was looking through photos of caramel/tan leather couches to see what armchair colours they were teamed with. Some photos that may appeal to you. As you say you are traditional at heart, and if your armchairs are comfy and in great condition, I still think reupholstering at least one of them is a viable option. I love the caramel/tan idea for couch/sectional. Note:as far as armchair fabric goes, stripes are timeless. One of the sofa photos has a jewel colour you mentioned you like, but I can see that colour going nicely with caramel couch.
  • Ann B
    4 years ago
    More.
  • Ann B
    4 years ago
    The benefit of reupholstering is that you can find a fabric with the style and colours that would team beautifully with your new solid colour couch AND your carpet. Stripes are timeless, for example. You would be able to select a fabric that has the jewel colour(s) you favour. Choices are almost limitless. You can also have a couple of throw cushions made up in that same fabric to put on the couch. OR, pull a single colour from the chair fabric and have throw cushions made up for your new couch.
    ronalisa thanked Ann B
  • ronalisa
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks Ann B, I would happily have any of the above rooms you have selected, they are all so me. The seat cushions in my current lounge are so very hard (firm) to sit on. I think they are Dunlopillo enduro foam and it hasn't softened over time; mind you we have hardly sat in it since it was recovered years ago, I would be hesitant to have them reupholstered in case they came back the same. I hadn't given a thought to recovering the single seaters. Can you recommend what fill I should choose if I decide to go down this path. Do you have any experience with upholsterers in north Brisbane that you would be happy to recommend? If I go down the path of having the existing armchairs recovered, should they a) both be in the same colour, b) have one fabric then take a colour from that for the other, or c) what would you suggest? I have no eye for colour and this room is sending me crazy. For the new sofa I have chosen the colour "granite" from the nick scali palette for the "Julio" . How do I choose the chair colours. I was thinking blue but now from your lovely pics above, I am not so sure. thanks so much for all your help.

• Ann B
    4 years ago
    Hi Ronalisa. Is this the sofa you referred to? It's very beautiful and looks comfortable. Is it on order or did you purchase it off the floor?

You asked about re-upholsterers in your area; however, I am in Victoria and don't know any in Brisbane. Check your local listings, newspaper classifieds, etc. explain that you want to change the seat cushions when you have chairs re-upholstered, and ask them what foam/filling options they have. Pick 2-3 different people to come to your house and see your chairs. Ask them to bring lots of fabric samples for you to see. That way you can see which ones work with your carpet and the colour scheme in the room. You will be able to tell from a meeting which one you would prefer to work with. Ask for quotes, deposit and time-frame to complete. Also ask if they pick up and deliver for free.

I've had several sofas and armchairs re-upholstered over the years and have been very pleased with the results and having pieces that perfectly co-ordinate with each other.

Reason I asked if your sofa is on order was because you may prefer to wait u til it's in your room to meet with an upholsterer. If not, then perhaps you can get hold of a leather sample from Nick Scali OR contact the fabric maker directly and request a small sample. That way you will have all your colours on hand when selecting fabric for your chair(s).

Hope this is helpful. :)
  • ronalisa
    Original Author
    4 years ago

yes, thanks Anne B, this is very helpful! The one I chose is not the one above. It is on order so I am hoping it will be as comfy as the one in the store. I was wondering if I should wait until it is here before selecting new fabric to reupholster the existing armchairs as the sofa is on order. Unfortunately they don't sell their floor stock and my order is not due here until early December. I might ask Nick Scali if I could borrow their leather "granite" sample for 24 hours and take up your suggestion of inviting 3 upholsterers, but in practical terms, that means I will only have the samples for one day which doesn't give me much time to get all 3 companies here in that time. I could also wait until mid January to have the sofa here then get quotes which seems a more sensible time to do all this. I doubt if anyone would be able to deliver before Christmas as it is now very late in the year already and it will certainly take the heat off. I have attached a pic of the "granite colour" which ties back to the creme coloured curtains and looks very good with our mocha carpet. Not sure if you can enlarge it though to get a good look.

• Ann B
    4 years ago
    Sorry, forgot to attach photo. Is this your new sofa?
    ronalisa thanked Ann B
  • ronalisa
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hi Ann B, yes that is it - minus the chaise on the side. I don't like the rolled arms, but I couldn' get get it all.

2 FIND and DESIGN
    4 years ago
    Hi Ronalisa
    The Ariel 2.5 looks great... and still stylish With recliners! I think the granite will look fine.. do you have an opportunity to bring the sample colours home and see it against your existing colours?
    2 FIND and DESIGN
    4 years ago
    Sorry have just noticed a change in sofa style... was there a problem with the Ariel?
  • Ann B
    4 years ago
    Yup, thanks, got it. It's lovely colour. I'd wait until you have your meetings lined up (all on same day if possible) and schedule to borrow leather sample for 48 hours. They should be willing to do that for you. Timing is entirely up to you when you have chairs done. Waiting does give you extra time to think things over. I think a good way to choose colours is simply to look at lots of different fabrics and narrow it down to the ones you like the best. I'm sure you will do fine. You can always call on the helpful Houzzers when you have questions. Happy to help. :)
    ronalisa thanked Ann B
  • ronalisa
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Yes, all the Houzzers have been extraordinarily helpful. I am sure in the end, it will be a beautiful room. With regards to the change of sofa style, I was unsure of my ability to keep the white leather clean - particularly the stitching. By finally going with the "Julio" it is slightly more comfy sofa than the "Ariel". It has a higher back and I feel the "granite" colour will give me less hassles. In reality, the "granite" colour has slight yellow/creme undertones which tie back better with the curtains but this doesn't really show up in pictures. Golly, I hope I am on the right track. Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions. Keep them coming please

• ronalisa
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Will upholsterers bring fabric samples or will I have to search the net for these?

4 years ago
    They normally have samples.

Good luck. Can't wait to see finished room.
    ronalisa thanked bigreader
  • annb1997
    4 years ago

Yup, they have samples. :)

ronalisa thanked annb1997
  • allanaspree
    4 years ago

Hi ronalisa I was curious how does the size of the Julio you have ordered compare with your existing sofa? I looked up the Julio specs & if you have ordered a 3 seater it is W223 x D96 x H100 or a 2.5 seater w200 x D96 xH100 without the recliners extended (which need to be considered later when thinking about room layout, placement of coffee tables etc.)

See spec http://services.nickscali.com.au/assets/SpecSheets/JULIO.pdf

ronalisa thanked allanaspree
  • ronalisa
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hi allanaspree, current 3 seater is 1.8 long. The Julio 2.5 seater we ordered doesn't have the chaise on the end so we are OK. It won't be here until the beginning of December so I guess I can't do much until it arrives. Thinking now to recover the current 2 single armchairs, but won't be able to do that until after the Julio arrives which realistically means not effectively until late January / early Feb when the trades return to work. This will be a very protracted project it seems