Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_904109

Centris millpond tile

User
7 years ago
Hi
Can you recommend a grout colour for the millpond tile. We were told to use white but are not happy with the result as it frames out each tile too much and want to change it.
Thanks
Andrea
Infinity Tile · More Info

Comments (25)

• girlguides
    7 years ago
    I'd go same colour as tile like in pic
  • robandlyn
    7 years ago

a light to medium grey will blend in.

• PRO
    Southern Cross Ceramics
    7 years ago

Hi Andrea, thanks for your enquiry - you are right, the Infinity range looks best with a closely matched grout colour. Mapei have a colour called Tourmaline which is the best match I have seen for Millpond. Otherwise a soft grey is better than white. If you Google it, you should be able to find a supplier. tilegrout.com.au is a great online store. If the colour is not quite right, you may have to blend with white or with turquoise to get a perfect match. Hope this helps.

• Heidi Allen
    7 years ago

Thanks Southern Cross Ceramics I was just about to ask the exact same question! Off to google Mapei grout and hope I can order or find some in Perth. Fabulous! Definitely needs a grout colour matched to the tile.

• User
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thanks for your help. I have searched all over the internet and looks like the tourmaline colour had been discontinued.
    We've decided to stay with the White grout as its holding up finishing the rest of the bathroom.
  • PRO
    Southern Cross Ceramics
    7 years ago

So sorry to hear about the tourmaline. Thanks for letting me know.

• tuula50
    7 years ago

Hi, we chose a cement gray (mapei 113) coloured grout for our millpond infinity tiles but, after much thought, ended up by removing it. We have been able to source enough samples of tourmaline (mapei 182) to be able to regrout the tiles. thanks

• Heidi Allen
    7 years ago
    Did you take a picture with the grey grout? That would be helpful to see Tuula. I don't think we'll be able to source enough of the tourmaline but will try mixing the turquoise with some white or the very pale blue and see if we can get a match hopefully.
  • Heidi Allen
    7 years ago
    For anyone else who looks up this thread I have contacted Mapei and they were very helpful in getting back to me, but unfortunately they let me know that tourmaline has been discontinued for quite some time now so not easy to find.
  • PRO
    Southern Cross Ceramics
    7 years ago

Yes, I am pretty sure it was grey in the picture. I think the idea of mixing grout is a good one. It can be tricky as the colour will probably lighten a bit as it dries, and you need to make up more than you think you will need, so that you don't end up having to make a second batch that matches the first.

• tuula50
    7 years ago

Hi Heidi, here's a picture of the wall with the grey grout, sorry the quality is not very good. If the grout was a much lighter shade of grey it may have been fine. Best of luck,

• Heidi Allen
    7 years ago

Thanks Tuula that picture helps a lot! I'm very worried about the grout now, I'm worried about the mixing process. I wonder if I could try and find enough samples also. I've only got a small bathroom wall to do. Good luck with your regrouting. I'd love to see a picture of it when it's done. Looks fantastic

• bigreader
    7 years ago
    @tuula50. It always lovely when posters generously share photos of their own projects. Adds a realism us readers don't get to see in glossy photos. PS. Love your tiles.
  • scottevie
    7 years ago

Hi, I'm looking for grout to go with the mineral colour. Thanks for link. Would you suggest we use same brand in crocus blue or is white/very light grey close enough. How important is it yo use unsanded grout? Thank you.

• margyhen
    7 years ago

I'm so glad I found this conversation! We've just decided to tile a feature wall in Centris Millpond and had no idea it would be difficult to match the grout. I assumed Southern Cross Ceramics would sell the grout to match or at least know of a reliable supplier.

• joseybell
    7 years ago

If anyone has any of the tourmaline grout for the millpond tiles, I would really love some. Any tips or clues appreciated.

• dragonflylrf
    6 years ago

Hi @tuula50 do you still have any tourmaline samples left...I only need to grout 6 tiles plus another small strip! I have my fingers crossed!!

• Lisa Mignone
    5 years ago
    Hi, hoping anyone reading this post might have some left over Mapei Tourmaline grout they would be willing to sell. We bought these beautiful tiles in Millpond before realising the grout was discontinued and I really wanted to wall to have that seamless pressed metal wall look.
  • PRO
    Southern Cross Ceramics
    5 years ago

HI Lisa, there is a grout range called "Starlike" made by Litokol which comes in a fabulous range of colours. They have a light blue called Azzurro Pastello - which is not a bad match. There is also a brighter one called Turchese. The best match would probably be a blend of these two colours. I'm pretty sure if you Google Litokol Starlike - you should be able to find a local stockist. Good luck!

• HU-56263401
    4 years ago

Thanks Southern Cross ceramics, these colours look good but I’m struggling to find a local supplier. Just wondering if Lisa or anyone else has had any luck? Thanks

• PRO
    Southern Cross Ceramics
    4 years ago

If you get in touch with Steve at Bat Trims on 0418 332 504 - he should be able to put you onto your nearest Starlike supplier.

• HU-255206643
    4 years ago

I asked my builder/tiler to use Starlike to match my duck egg anthology tiles but they won’t touch it as it is an epoxy not a sanded grout and they say it is too finicky to use. I may have to abandon hundreds of dollars worth of duck egg already ordered as I just cannot get a grout to give that seamless look I am after. I am so frustrated and disappointed!

• PRO
    Southern Cross Ceramics
    4 years ago

Very disappointed to read your comment. Has your builder used epoxy recently? It is certainly much easier to use than it used to be. Most tilers acknowledge that epoxy is more challenging to use than traditional cement-based grouts (and they often charge more) but it is definitely worth the extra as it is completely stain and mould-proof and it never cracks or falls out. If you have to use your builder to do the job and he insists on cement grout - the best match would be Mapei Crocus blue 170. This colour is about the right strength, but is more blue. It could possibly be blended with some Vanilla 131 to get a better match. Please let me know if I can be of any assistance.

• HU-56263401
    4 years ago

Hi https://www.houzz.com.au/user/webuser-255206643, I have the millpond coloured tiles and while I really love them, I had to give up on the idea of the seamless look. Unless southern cross start to make a line of matching grout I just think you can’t achieve the seamless look. I will tell my experience in case it can help anyone else trying to find a match for the millpond colour: The people from bat trims bent over backwards to try to help me source the starlike grout recommended by southern cross. They put me in touch with the lovely people from the Tile Gallery in Montmorency who were really helpful even though I hadn’t bought the tiles from them. It turned out that the starlike grout costs over $100 (compared with about $20 or less for normal grout) and the suggested colour was quite a bit darker than the millpond tile and I didn’t think it would look good. Plus your tiler could charge extra to use epoxy. Our tiler and builder love the ardex brand of grout but their greys all looked a bit muddy/beige toned to me. We went for davco brand grout in silver stone as it was the most blue toned grey I could find and is lighter than the tiles. I like the grout to be matching or a shade lighter rather than darker than the tiles. I am happy with the tiles and grout we chose but I would have preferred a matching grout and it is definitely something people need to consider when purchasing these very beautiful and expensive tiles from southern cross ceramics. If you’re looking for the seamless look it is maybe impossible or at the least it will be expensive and time consuming.