Houzz Logo Print
rosemary_howes

Flooring dilemma

Rosemary Howes
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

We have decided to finally remove the carpet in our 20 year old 2 storey townhouse but are finding it difficult to decide what hard floor type to use in the living area, stairs, hallway and bedrooms. We are also renovating our bathroom and ensuite. We are keeping the downstairs off-white floor tiles in the kitchen, laundry and entry as they are on a cement slab and are in good condition. I have thought about parquet flooring in place of the carpet but am concerned about wear in traffic areas (the bottom of the stairs is a 'crossroad') and the cost. I've accepted that I might have to retain carpet on the stairs and I'm thinking the flooring in the living area can be different to upstairs but am not sure how different given there is potential for a hotchpotch of flooring. I've looked at timber look porcelain tiles as we could run it through to the bathroom and ensuite but I am struggling to visualise how it would work with flooring downstairs which I'm thinking could be timber. The house has no particular look but has some modest classic features and we're sticking with an antique white paint and installing shutters where there aren't roller blinds. I've attached a photo of the layout and would really appreciate advice on what would give the simplest look.

Comments (4)