Houzz Logo Print
italiangal001

Does anyone have a Zip tap in their kitchen? Are they good??

Italian Girl
7 years ago

Have been reading reviews online and they all seem to be bad!

Just wondering if there are different brands and if they're good??

Comments (40)

• PRO
    Nelson Interior Stylists
    7 years ago

i dont have one but i have worked in the design area for a number of years and i have never had really great reviews on them

Italian Girl thanked Nelson Interior Stylists
  • Italian Girl
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks for that...The number of negative reviews just turn me off getting one

• Related Discussions

Kitchen Reno - to match the tap and appliances, or not?

Q

Comments (15)
    Just remember that good quality tapware is EXPENSIVE and so is the plumber to change out the tap so go for the best you can afford - tapware will either make or break the look you're going for in terms of big ticket items. But go for what you want - infact take a sample of your benchtop and put it next to the tap and a stainless steel appliance in the Ikea showroom and have a look to decide for yourself - it all depends on personal taste.
    ...See More

kitchen taps

Q

Comments (10)
    Thank you everyone. This has been really helpful. I am getting quite excited as I have had help from a WONDERFUL lady at Zip. She is trying really hard to find exactly what I want (boiling/chilled/sparkling and hot and cold) in the goose neck brushed chrome. She has found an -Arc Tap Brushed Chrome, Chilled/ Sparkling with hot & cold - I don't think it's on the website. My problem was having the hot and cold as well as the others on the one tap.
    ...See More

Zip instant boiled,chilled sparkling

Q

Comments (2)
    Hi We have installed a few of the boiled/chilled (but not the sparkling) and our clients love them (tea drinkers too). My only comment is to make sure you have a good space with plenty of ventilation for the underbench unit and easy access to get at it for service. The underbench unit has minimum clearance requirements around the unit for cooling and requires a vent either through the door or kickboard. Cheers
    ...See More

Kitchen mixer tap and waste/plug colour match?

Q

Comments (4)
    If you are not sure about the tone of the colour, you can order colour samples and compare with your taps at home before you buy. In case you'll still be needing for brushed gold waste plugs, you can have a look at Fontaine Industries. We have waste plugs in all kinds of colours and finishes at great prices.
    ...See More
  • PRO
    MB Design & Drafting
    7 years ago

Lot of workplace lunchrooms have them.

Probably better suited to that environment perhaps.

They all seemed quite good to me, can't see the point in a residential dwelling however.

• hmorey69
    7 years ago
    Do you mean the taps that have continuous boiling water? I've had them in several workplaces and never enjoyed my cup of tea as much as the ones I have at home. I've recently discovered that boiling point is too hot for a good cup of tea. So purely from the perspective of drinking tea ( and what else matters) I'd say give them a miss.
  • Italian Girl
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Yes, boiling water and chilled water

• LesleyH
    7 years ago
    Ours just died at work and needed to be fixed.
    Italian Girl thanked LesleyH
  • C R
    7 years ago

They're noisy, need filter changes (expensive call outs) and take up too much room under your bench. They're also on pretty much all the time (model dependent) so think of the power saved by just boiling the water as you need it or keeping a jug in the fridge (cold water is apparently bad for you anyways).

Italian Girl thanked C R
  • John Henson
    7 years ago
    In the past two years I have replaced 5 zip with rheem. I had nothing but problems with them.
  • watchedpoppy
    7 years ago

You probably have decided against it already. A friend of mine has one and I concur that it is noisy.

• Italian Girl
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Nope..i actually ordered one - My Plumber is awesome and he reckons he can do the job properly ;)

• watchedpoppy
    7 years ago

OK then. Hope it works out for you. It certainly would be convenient sometimes.

Italian Girl thanked watchedpoppy
  • Gallifrey
    7 years ago

At work ours has a big ugly box in the cupboard under the tap, and needs servicing. Also needs a hole in your counter, which is a worry if you ever want to get rid of it. Waste of space. Ok for hot water, but most decent fridges have chilled water, so don't see the point.

Italian Girl thanked Gallifrey
  • Italian Girl
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I know!!! My kitchen guy had to play around with all the plans to fit the thing into a cupboard - it takes up sooooo much room!!!!

The fridge i want is from Japan , it's a Mitsubishi and doesn't come with the water :(

Ohh well...I actually am excited about the Zip now :) All good :))

• Italian Girl
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Yeah...i guess it all comes down to how it's installed ;)

• Italian Girl
    Original Author
    6 years ago

LOVE the way it looks so far :))

• antonia_d
    6 years ago
    Looks great! As does your splashback and benchtop. It's all slowly coming together for you.
    Italian Girl thanked antonia_d
  • Tilly
    6 years ago
    I am building a house, ready in a couple of weeks.
    Was definitely going to have a zip tap but ended up just future proofing to have it fitted in the future but didn't get it.
    Reason being the fact that they are just so expensive, just the hot and cold water is over $4000.

I honestly believe that there will be a more affordable solution in the future and I will be ready then.

Like you I had mixed reviews and just couldn't justify the cost.
    That's a lot of bottled water and kettles.
  • watchedpoppy
    6 years ago

A friend of mine has one and she said there is always problems with it, i.e leaking. She also doesn't like that it takes up so much space in the cupboard underneath. She said she would not get one again.

• HU-229016905
    3 years ago

Can you update now that you've had it a few years please?

• Lupe R
    3 years ago

Any current reviews? Very interested.

• Egg Foam
    2 years ago

Also curious for any recent impressions here!

I tried a Zip tap in a store recently and the under-cabinet unit made a loud humming/buzzing noise while dispensing. I can’t believe it would be designed that way and wonder if the demo display was a little broken or badly installed.

My wife and I are renovating our kitchen and we are heavy users of our SodaStream. If we could replace that and also have a chilled and hot water tap, it would be amazing. The new fridge we’re getting doesn’t have the option for an external water dispenser and we don’t want to go back to keeping a full Brita pitcher in the fridge plus a bunch of SodaStream bottles.

• Egg Foam
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Update: I had a chance to try another Zip tap in a different showroom. This time I tasted the water too.

Some impressions: The first one I tried was clearly broken or installed incorrectly. This model did not make anything like the loud humming/buzzing noise that the first one did. It was a totally acceptable level of very quiet noise when the cabinet door was closed, more noticeable when open but not awful. The showroom was very quiet and I was the only customer there.

Unfortunately, I didn’t like the sparkling water. The rep described it as more of a soft European-style fizz, and that’s about right. It was clearly not flat, but it was nowhere near as bubbly as our SodaStream produces even on the lowest setting.

This Zip did not have a temperature adjustment for the chilled/sparkling water (only for the hot). The chilled temp was pretty cold but not quite as cold as a bottle of water out of my fridge, which is set to 39 degrees. I would’ve liked it a little colder, but it was not a dealbreaker for me like the carbonation.

Now I’m on to considering the Grohe Blue + Chilled, or just sticking with the SodaStream.

• richhornerjr
    2 years ago

I bought a Zip in Encinitas, CA in February 2020. It works VERY WELL making hot, cold filtered and sparkling water. I've only had to change the filter once - no biggie. They are self replaceable and you can buy online similar to fridge filters. I called for service on my unit twice. Once for a fault code and once for what turned out to be user error (a kinked line). Both times the service was excellent. Darrell from ZipWater came right to the house and took care of it. All of it was under their warranty.

There is no comparison between this unit and a traditional water dispenser or soda stream. This is a workhorse that is reliable and dispenses at a commercial/fast rate. I would totally recommend. This is not a paid review - you can email me for more info: richhornerjr@gmail.com

• Italian Girl
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Sydney Australia here hahaha

• Meghan L
    2 years ago

Italian Girl, How have you been enjoying your zip system? You have had it a few years now.

• Lainie Robertson
    2 years ago

Also very keen to hear!

• micki723
    2 years ago

Yes I would also like to hear a more recent positive review?????

• Julie K
    2 years ago

We’re considering installing an all-in-one hydrotap in our bar sink in Oakland (California). I'd love to hear more feedback on the all-in-one hydrotap! Do you find it sufficiently hot/cold? Is it very loud? Does it consume a lot of energy? Is there anything you wish you’d known before purchasing it?

Sorry for the numerous questions, but there’s not much about it on the Houzz boards... Also they’re so incredibly expensive I want to make sure it’s really worth it!! 😉

• HU-229016905
    2 years ago

I put in the Zip boiling water only, but have only had it for a couple of months so no problems or filter changes yet. I LOVE the convenience of the boiling water for coffees and for water to hasten cooking pasta on the stove. It's one of the most used appliances in our kitchen.

• HU-229016905
    2 years ago

Hi Julie, I just actually read your question in full, I can't say for the proper comparison to your model, but ours isn't loud, the degrees are set to 98 degrees celcius, you can choose on your box, I have no idea about the energy consumption.

• Julie K
    2 years ago

Thank you for the additional insight! I found a showroom near our home that has a unit on display, so my husband and I are going tomorrow to test it out. We're going to see if it makes much noise and taste the water! ;-)

• micki723
    2 years ago

please keep us posted Julie!

• Julie K
    2 years ago

Reporting back after today's field trip to test the Zip Arc with cold, sparkling and hot water!

The water tasted great (we especially enjoyed the sparkling water) and while the cold water wasn't as cold as we'd like, it was acceptable to us. The hot water was super hot!

In terms of noise, the machine made a little noise (definitely loudest with the cold water setting), but it wasn't too bad and it wasn't nearly as noisy as the Perlick wine cooler installed next to it in the showroom and an ice machine installed nearby that was ridiculously noisy!

My husband loved it until he discovered the faucet cost $5077 USD before tax and shipping. The all-in-one we'd need is an additional $500, so we’ll see if a Zip tap stays in our final kitchen plan... 😉

• PRO
    Natasha Walker Interiors
    2 years ago

Specify them my in clients houses... All love them... I dislike seeing appliances over the kitchen benches... Handy if you want an instant cup of tea or hot water. Natasha Walker Interiors

• parsnipthejackrussell
    2 years ago

We moved into a house where one has already been installed. LOATHE the damn thing. SO NOISY, expensive to maintain / replace canisters, and the unit itself is so complex and not user friendly. But the intermittent NOISE is what is so horrendous.

• Tim Keeler
    last year

I have a brand new ZipWater BCS (Boiling, Chilled, Sparkling) in a new home construction. My overall experience with ZipWater had been completely abysmal- every interaction from sales/ordering through installation & support.

First, as others have stated my unit is LOUD for chilled water. It’s much louder than my garbage disposal. ZipWater told me it’s normal to make noise. I’m really bummed about it.

When I moved in I noticed sparkling was not installed. ZipWater took no accountability and blamed my supplier. It took months to navigate the correct parts to order (they specified incomplete parts) and I ended up having to install it myself (it’s difficult).

I can’t even get a reply from ZipWater to vent my experience. I’m extremely bummed because I had high hopes for this unit and I feel I’m stuck with it now.

I don’t normally write reviews but I found this thread googling if the noise level I supposed to be this loud. I still don’t know if I have a defective unit.

So the TLDR- avoid ZipWater and maybe find a different company to work with.

• bobrovetski
    last year

We installed a Zip system during our kitchen renovation- the filtered boiling, chilled and soda. We LOVE it! Having the hot water at a moments notice is amazing. Not only do we find we're drinking more tea (great thing for health), but we use it to soak things, heat up cooking quicker, etc. I probably use it 10x a day! We start our day off with hot lemon water w/ apple cider vinegar- it's so nice to have it at our fingertips! I saw the comment about being too hot... the beauty is that you have the chilled water with the push of a button. So I know that I fill my Yeti just under 2/3 with the boiling water and then flip the function and top it off with chilled water. I can drink it instantly. The chilled filtered water is a bit noisy, but in a house with kids, dog, lots of activity... it doesn't bother us. I also saw the comment about filling Britas... with kids that play sports, filling up water bottles constantly is so much easier right from the tap. And they want cold water.

They did need to reorganize the plans for the cabinet to make room for it under the sink, but it really wasn't a big deal. I also had to adjust the bubbles to get a higher volume b/c we like our soda water fizzy- it was not difficult. We were avid Soda Stream users... this is SO much easier. We used to plow through Co2 cartridges so fast with the Soda Stream. And then you have to send them back to recycle them. The tech for Zip said we'll probably have to change out the Co2 on this unit once a year.

I would say that if you're going to use it- it's definitely worth the money, space and noise.

• Kate
    last year

Old post

• HU-139327085
    6 months ago

Hi Guys, My name is Dan from Perth, Western Australia. We wanted a sparkling water tap but got turned off by the negative reviews and price tag of the current market offerings, so we actually created our own and turned it into a business! It's taken over two years but we believe we have the most reliable, best value and best looking sparkling water tap options in Australia. Please check us out at Sodatap .