Houzz Logo Print
persimmon369

Need Help With the Kitchen in a House We Are Soon Buying

persimmon369
11 years ago
I have seen many creative ideas posted on this inspiring Web site, and I would love your help! We are in the process of buying a house that we are excited about and will be moving into soon. The kitchen needs some help. It has newer appliances and even though I like the look of stainless, I don't want to replace the black appliances. We are planning on being in this home for 3 or 4 years, so my goal is to make it look as nice as possible, as economically as possible. With that in mind, I don’t think that means replacing both the cabinets and countertops. My first inclination was to paint the cabinets and have granite countertops installed, but when I asked for the advice of the realtor (for purposes of selling the house in the future), her opinion is that painted cabinets look like a half-way remodel. My questions for you are:
1) Should I paint the cabinets anyway (if so, what color would coordinate with the wood-stained trim in the rest of the house)?
2) If I paint the cabinets, what countertops would be best?
3) If it's better to leave the cabinets as they are, should I replace the countertops or leave the original?
4) What paint color would go nicely with the wood trim in the great room and coordinate with the kitchen?
I will post photos of some other areas of the house so you can get the flavor of it (mountain/rustic). I can't wait to move in and paint the walls and decorate! Thank you for your help!

Comments (106)