Houzz Logo Print
jojoemetoo

Drying room ideas

6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

We are in the process of designing our dream home with an architect. One of our requests was to have a drying room within the laundry - somewhere we can dry clothes indoors during winter. We have 3 young kids, with lots of laundry. Currently we dry clothes over the central heating duct throughout the house and its messy all the time which drives me crazy. Yes, we can use a dryer, but would rather not use it all the time for everything. Yes we can hang the clothes outside to dry, but in Melbourne the clothes don't dry that well during winter especially when raining. We both work, and by the time we're home the clothes are always still wet. So we've decided on having a drying room. Our architect has included a drying room within our laundry which is 1.6m wide by 2.8m deep. We initially thought to simply have a duct (via floor) from the central heating within the room, and a vent in the ceiling vented externally. I've also looked at not having a duct at all and instead having a portable dehumidifier in the room to dry the clothes. I've researched what the best way do do this is, but have not been able to find any decent information. Do you have any advice / experience how to best handle this? Is it worth doing? Are we better of scrapping the idea and changing this space? I've been considering making the room smaller or not making it a drying room at all, maybe just a store room (but we have ample storage already) - or maybe adding a bench and making it a clothes sorting area.

Comments (9)