Houzz Logo Print
miiichele

Need Ideas for Awkward Kitchen

miiichele
6 years ago

Hi,

I just purchased my first home, a 1906 bungalow (2 bed / 1 bath), with a funky kitchen layout.

The kitchen is centrally located, and is the main access to the only bathroom, mudroom and dining room. It has no windows but there is a 6' opening into the mudroom which has 9 windows, that fills the kitchen with light. (Photos were taken at night.)

I can't afford to move walls or plumbing lines, so the walls, doors and sink have to stay.

Our biggest problem is lack of storage space and prep surface. We'd love to paint, add more cabinets and open shelving, replace the backsplash and countertops, etc.

I'd love any ideas for our space! Thanks everyone!

Our dish rack takes us half our prep surface! Would love to add a dishwasher, but have no idea how to fit it in.

This vertical soffit makes me crazy. I would love to hide it somehow within in floor to ceiling wall cabinet. Would it be a bad idea to have a range butt up to a cabinet though?

This is just wasted space. There is a weird cut out to the wall on the left. I'd like to fill it in to make it just a straight wall. It's not deep enough to put in full depth cabinets. So I've considered 15" base cabinets and open shelving above. This would help hide appliances and possibly work as a coffee station? We have LOTS of coffee equipment.

I have considered removing the wall to the left of the fridge, to add a narrow floor to ceiling cabinet as a makeshift pantry, but am not sure if I can afford it. Also considered leaving the wall and putting up floating shelves to store flour, sugar, spices, cookbooks, etc. Would also like a cabinet above the fridge.

Thanks everyone!

Comments (21)