Houzz Logo Print
jerpie293

Living Room open plan layout

jerpie293
6 years ago
Hi All,
I need some help from more experienced hands please. In planning stages of new house. Love the rest of the layout but not sure how to plan living area. Left wall/Bed 2 wall currently will be brick feature with wood heater.
Open to inserting partial wall somewhere for TV instead of putting it between windows because I'm not sure how to layout the seating.
Any suggestions appreciated.

Comments (20)

• dreamer
    6 years ago
    My initial thought was not where the tv would go but, anyone using the 2nd and 3rd bedrooms would have to walk through the living and past the entrance to get to the bathroom. That would be an uncomfortable experience for some people. Maybe a hallway/ wall can be incorporated for privacy, and the tv goes on that wall.
  • dreamer
    6 years ago
    Just thought about the following. Remove cupboard from outside bedroom. Replace with a wall of cupboards, as you enter home. Does not have to be full height.Then the other side can be for Tv etc. change entrance door position for bedroom 3. This will then give a form of privacy for bathroom users, and when people are standing at your front door, they can't see directly into the house.
  • Related Discussions

Need help on making open plan kitchen living room

Q

Comments (14)
    I find it difficult to view your floor plan as it blurs if I enlarge it, so excuse me if this comment is invalid. Assuming the entry is from your living room and the home runs lengthways with the hall linking the bathroom, ldry and bedroom from the kitchen. The issue with this is that having two doors in the kitchen means you cannot form a working triangle for it to function well and don't have enough wall to fit out with tall storage. However, if you sealed up the door to the hall and opened access to the hall from the lounge as your plans seems to indicate in the top right of the lounge area, then you could widen the front opening into the kitchen rather than remove an entire wall, so integrate it into your living zone without lumping a kitchen in the middle of your lounge, you will improve your walk through flow, and gain a new length of wall in the kitchen where your fridge could go into the corner with a larger pantry flanking it, then your proposed layout t follow.
    ...See More

I need layout advice for small open plan kitchen/dining/living

Q

Comments (3)
    Hello Dee, I would 'mirror image' your plan and have the kitchen against the original part of the house (to the left of your step down) and still with the island. You could then have sliding doors facing both decks, and hopefully a beautiful outlook to your garden, also a lovely vista when you walk down the steps... your living dining furniture will have the feel of more room against windows, rather than boxed in by walls.
    ...See More

Open plan living room with vaulted & flat ceiling

Q

Comments (12)
    If the roof in the sunroom is also flat on the exterior part of the roof then perhaps put triangular windows in the top part of the wall that would look straight outside and then keep the sunroom ceiling flat. You wont notice its different as the window to the outside will be the feature of that wall.
    ...See More

Accent chairs for open plan living room

Q

Comments (3)
    From your other thread. https://img.zcdn.com.au/lf/50/hash/37569/18446663/4/Zoe+Accent+Lounge+Chair.jpg Temple and Webster have these on sale for $139.
    ...See More
  • oklouise
    6 years ago

have to agree with dreamer, open plan can be great for one or two living in the house but once there's more it becomes difficult for sleeping children or late night runs to the toilet for guests and there could be better access from the carport into the house for arriving home with groceries on a wet day ... it appears to be be a very big house for only three bedrooms, no separate toilet and cramped ensuite .....which direction is north and what is the width of your block? ....thinking about the TV placement i would be glad to add some scale sized furniture to the plan but i can't read the measurements ..please post the plan in halves so all the numbers are readable

• jerpie293
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thanks for your replies. I can understand open plan isn't for everyone but we are committed (I hate the idea of vacuuming hallways that have no function other than to get from point A to point B, but I realise that lots of people love them).
    The front door will be frosted so no issue with peeping toms ;)
    The north wall is kitchen/living/Bed 2
    The second toilet is in the laundry
    I agree the ensuite is cramped. We have plans to fix that (this one I am showing is only 2nd draft)
    Hopefully the numbers are more visible on these pics... from kitchen fridge to wall of bed 2 is just under 9m.
    The view is to the south east, hence the angled wall.
    Thanks guys
  • girlguides
    6 years ago
    If you’re not worried about tv waking up people sleeping in bedrooms then it can go anywhere. I would absolutely have a separate powder room so convenient toilet access from bathroom (which don’t have now) and personally I don’t want people trapsing thru my laundry clean or dirty clothes to get to loo. A powder room would also add more value to home then as you now have it
  • dreamer
    6 years ago
    I also like open plan, but some times it might be too open.
    I understand about when your front door is closed. But what about when people are standing outside the front door, when it is open. Door knocker, hawkers etc. It would also be lovely to have the door open for cross breezes.
  • oklouise
    6 years ago

my suggestion would be to have the fireplace on the northern wall between the windows and have the whole bedroom wall for TV, storage of music, books etc but as you can see by adding in large scale furniture there's a lot of under utilised circulation space and the kitchen is big enough to have a giant island as well as bigger pantry to include the freezers out of the laundry ... and there's also plenty of space for the separate powder room and lots of other variations, still keeping the big open plan area, but maybe achieving more value for the size...

if you would like to describe your block of land and your perfect house you may invite additional ideas worth considering

• jerpie293
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thanks for drawing that up oklouise that is very helpful! Definitely given me alot to think about and I do like your lounge layout
    The block is a couple of acres so no issue re size/aspect, but it is on a slope (high side being deck/main bed on south east). We designed the floor plan with northerly aspect as first priority, but view is to the south east hence angled wall.
    Don't want a huge house, want to keep it small as we can while still having good usable spaces. Obviously open plan is also a big priority, and we set out to avoid hallways as far as possible.
    Any suggestions re improvements/oversights are welcome, but we are fairly firm on the above priorities :)
  • PRO
    Paul Di Stefano Design
    6 years ago

Can you please send through existing conditions? Whether this is and alterations&additions or brand new, my professional comment is that it hasn't been approached IMO properly.....you don't set out a big space and then work out how to fit it out/position furniture after....I've mentioned this before in other posts but the way to most effectively design/plan a home for functional/experience based outcomes is to start with furniture and then work from there, with walls & doors, windows etc positioning and configuration come in/fixed last......several issues I see here....I'm all for efficiency but part of efficiency is flexibility in regards to function and the problem with this type of plan is that it only can work in one way and it's essentially the same concept as a small apartment.....my concern is that your decision on deleting hallways thinking that they are a waste of space is actually false economy and limiting the design function of your home.....hallways can in fact be utilised to great efficiency and function with providing clever separation and access to storage and keep bathrooms appropriately private form the main living zones etc.......I've demonstrated in many projects how actually breaking up spaces in various ways can be beneficial and increase function....passages don't have to be tunnel-like boring spaces - they can be designed creatively and become beautiful transition spaces that bridge the private and main living zones........open plan doesn't necessarily equate to open and airy - you can lose intimacy and a sense of exactly what it is if they are not done right.......overall these projects are too large an investment to get the planning wrong and time and time again I see people making critical mistakes in this area.......it's great that you have strong ideas for the way you want to live, but considering you have a reasonable size property/land, depending upon what you are starting with (existing house) I could foresee design options that would still meet your priorities on being efficient/not oversized etc that would arguably (a) connect better with the context (b) improve the residence's longterm function/flexibility and (c) possibly be more cost effective over various levels and (d) be a more spatially interesting and arguably better value construction spend........my advice is you have great potential, but remain open to the opportunities and options available... Don't mean to be overly critical but I know what I'm talking about ;) good luck! PD :)

• jerpie293
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Hi oklouise,
    Thanks so much for drawing that up, it's great to get a fresh view after staring at something for hours! I really love what you've done and we definitely have alot to think about now. Thanks again
  • siriuskey
    6 years ago

Hi there, Seeing as you have such a big block I thought you might to see our 80's Architect floor plan we also has an angled wall. we have changed a few things like remove the wide hip height brick walls between the support posts which went from both sides of the only two steps down to the lounge, removed the bar where our computer is and re did the kitchen and lay out. The large hot water tank is now out side so we have a great cupboard in our 3 way bathroom.

It's a long open plan house that we love, if you wanted to close of the bathroom wing, a glass door and light above between the pantry and the courtyard. The kitchen still has the sink under the full width window, a large 2.7 x 1200 Island with cooktop and then a wall of pantries and fridge, We love it

• jerpie293
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thanks siriuskey, looks like you have a lovely home! I always like to hear to see how other people do things :)
  • me me
    6 years ago
    I was thinking that your plan looks like one of those big old country halls with a supper room on the side. I really do think that you need to revisit the plans as the writers above suggest. Perhaps have a bedroom zone at one end and a living area at the other end. Then you wouldn't need a massively big hallway. I am also not a fan of open plan, especially if you have family members who love televised sport. I dont like the crowd noise echoing through the room.
  • PRO
    Paul Di Stefano Design
    6 years ago

Wow! Absolutely awesome siriuskey - thank you for sharing this - your Architect's plan here is just on a completely different level and immediately demonstrates the value of professional design.......isolated room arrangement does not equate to architecture - architecture is about articulating the experience of space and sadly so many project opportunities are missed when it's not understood or recognised that this (spatial/living experience) is what it is all about and if approached/founded on this principle the concept will maximise the project/property value.....this principle can be applied to all types/scales of project whether new builds and renos/extensions or small fitouts.........what your Architect's plan (I think) shows is definitive consideration of and connection to site/context as well as balancing/blending creativity of planning with function, developing rooms of various scales and a multi-dimensional/layered but also relatively simple/streamlined set of both internal and external spaces. What people often don't understand is that this type of option/layout will actually feel more spacious and significantly more interesting than other options that are physically larger but not nearly as elegantly and sensitively resolved. It also doesn't necessarily have to be that more expensive....so good to see this - aren't you lucky! :) PD

• Sarah Sarah
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Oklouise awesome layout.

i would hate to live in bed 2 with the main tv on the otherside of my bedroom wall......just saying. My room was like this growing up and it was horrible. Constantly telling mum and dad to "turn the tv down!" So i could sleep.

no privacy in bed 3 as door is open to living areas

• siriuskey
    6 years ago

Hi Paul thanks for your comments and all the superlatives used to describe it and very pleased that you like our house, which amazingly appeals to all ages.

We are lucky, it's an amazing light filled house and a joy to live in, single story any day for me. It was interesting seeing the first plan and then the things that were changed, the one big oversight was that the highlight windows along the eastern side were all fixed and should have had some louvers to allow summer heat to escape, but it was an easy fix, we are the third owners.

Check out Helsham House, always loved this mid centuary house, The agents that were asked to sell it when Michael passed away specialize in architect designed houses and this one is special being associated with the Sydney Opera House cheers

• annb1997
    6 years ago

Excellent and comprehensive advice from Paul, and clever oklouise for moving the kitchen out of the corner where it was plonked and would not have worked well long-term, and love love your mid-century home, siriuskey!

• siriuskey
    6 years ago

Thanks so much annb, it's always great to come home, it has a lovely feel. It was designed by a Dutch Architect, designed and built in the style of that period cheers,

• siriuskey
    6 years ago

Hi Jerpie, some new ideas for you to consider