Houzz Logo Print
marcpilot1

Re-staining my mother's 1985 cedar siding house. Help!

marcpilot1
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

My mother has 30 year old cedar siding home – 3/2, 1200 sq ft. Some of the cedar on the siding has a little damage, some curving outward at the ends.

I pressure washed w HD recommended pw cleaner. Now ready to prime/stain w Graco X7 sprayer.

She's getting the best solid stain and recommended primer HD sells(170 or so for 5 gallon kit, 10yr/25yr)

Heres 1 question I got among others. Replacing the damaged, worn cedar. I can get planks at DoItBest, 2.50 linear ft.

Q. Can I cut the bad off a plank and replace just what I cut, versus replacing the entire length of the plank?

Q. Do i need to caulk every single plank prior to starting as part of prep?

Q. On that note, recommended prep procedure?(pics in this post)

Q. Any ideas for doing this re-stain, like any particular way you'd take this on, or anything you all think versus what I've mentioned? (and don't worry about anything I've mentioned, your take, not mine)

Last Q for now- Color scheme? Theres a large nice deck on back, door casings, window casings, house trim up high, doors, etc. Like a 3 color? 2 colors? I know she's wanting the siding to be same color as poss, other than that, anything else is fine with her.

Thanks!

Comments (8)