Houzz Logo Print
eelinglow

Layout advice please

EL
5 years ago
Hi everyone,

We have 2 young boys and would love to hear your ideas on how to achieve the following (attached are the current layouts of our home):

Ground floor:
1. Make the dining room flow through to the kitchen
2. Separate the WC from the laundry (currently one shared space)

First floor:
1. The bedrooms are currently split between two sets of stairs, would like to access all the rooms along one walkway. Currently the master bedroom is in the middle.
2. How would you change the layout of the master bedroom?
3. Planning to merge the WC and bathroom to enlarge the overall space.

Any other advice and suggestions most welcome, thank you!

Comments (56)

• siriuskey
    5 years ago

I actually like all the doors and windows in the Family room they could be much bigger facing north and opening out to a Vergola pergola along that side.

The long wall adjoining your neighbours is heaps of space for storage and wall mounted TV

You mention that you have two young boys are there likely to be more children?

Do either of you work from home

Visiting parents or family staying over?

• EL
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thank you Siriuskey, I've attached the pics of the family room. Initially we thought an L shaped couch facing the fireplace? To take advantage of the view to the courtyard. If the T.V were against the opposite wall I assume seating would face each other? The fireplace is not centered and am stuck on how to change the joinery around it.

Would you put in a covered pergola? There is no under cover pathway from the garage to the house at the moment. Thank you!
  • Related Discussions

Need opinions and advice on fireplace/TV/living room layout

Q

Comments (8)
    i'd like some feedback on the two windows, as I am currently looking at the same thing without windows. Why r they there given the expanse of glass on other wall. My mum had two narrow vertical windows either side and as they were un curtained they look like black rectangles at night which I found spooky. They didn't let in much light because of trees outside, but I guess if u had a skyline view say they may be useful. They also compromised positioning of artwork.
    ...See More

Advice needed for kitchen/family/dining room layout

Q

Comments (4)
    Hi Mel, You have the right idea to place kitchen on south wall. I wouldn't mind laundry over there too if possible. The more north wall for living and sun light the better. I believe a generous pantry can be waltzed in with modified bathroom layout and kitchen having a similar layout to what is shown here. If you wish to supply clearer dimensions I'm happy to play! Also lets try to avoiding the internal toilet we can look straight at as we entry home and walk down the hall. Windows to kitchen even with fence view is excellent for cross vent, light and can have outlook to hanging herb baskets. The good old garage at the rear using miles of land for drive! The latest craze for installing by-fold doors is great but they do not allow for small inlet of fresh air such as is required in cold weather. A few windows will providing air movement and cross ventilation much safer than having to leave a door open. New models of sliders are preferable (if you can clean tracks easily) as the doors are out of the way and not a walking into hazard. Good luck. Margot
    ...See More

Advice for bathroom layout please~

Q

Comments (14)
    Hi again QBENGA Oh yes. Very alike. We approach total strangers and drive slowly through new suburbs. I know what you mean about suspicious. We never did those things before we started designing our own home. I think your dingy bathroom is very easy to fix. I hope so! LED lights - so bright and cheap to run. Our designer has also told us about a kind of skylight. Probably the same thing oklouise is talking about. They don't actually bring light all the way from the roof through to the bathroom. Instead, there is a solar panel on the roof, connected to a lighting panel on the ceiling of the bathroom. When the sun hits the solar panel, it turns on a light in the bathroom. When the sun goes down, the light turns off. Instead of having a large tube that goes through the ceiling into the roof space (which interrupts your ceiling insulation), you only have to have a small cord pass through your roof space. I believe you can buy them from Bunnings.
    ...See More

Kitchen, Mudroom/laundry, Walk in pantry layout advice please

Q

Comments (21)
    Thank you Geluka and Margot, the breakfast bar won't be 2 level, the app we used to draw up this design doesn't allow a single piece of bench (to wrap around the support column) hence the split level look. We will have a glass door for our mud room/laundry entrance. Probably won't have a pergola as the courtyard will be quite small and narrow post extension. I am considering moving the oven tower to the end of the bench housing the stove top. Assuming a 900mm stove, 600mm oven tower that will leave 600mm clearance on either side of the stove top. Many thanks, Ee ;)
    ...See More
  • siriuskey
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

going by these photos I would try and install the TV above the fireplace, you would need to get expert advice for that, what type of fire is it. Google Vergola Pergola, opening and closing they work and look great. An L shaped lounge with it's back to the kitchen and the other part facing fire, possibly a couple of single chairs in front of the bifold.

• PRO
    Paul Di Stefano Design
    5 years ago

This is classic case of a residence ticking the boxes in terms of spaces, but functionally falling short and not aligning with how you wish to live/zone for your family requirements long term.......primary culprit is the laundry smack bang in the centre of the main zone (that's the big fail of the previous reno) and then the main bedroom/ensuite similarly centrally positioned between the other separate bedrooms that are extremely uneven in regards to size & proximity to main bathroom......that said I can see how it ended up that way......

Whilst the actual fit-out quality is reasonable, the lack of attention to the function is where it has let itself down.....

How to fix it? Well it comes down to how far do you want to go to get it right.....

We deal with this all the time, but to resolve you really have to go through a professional process where you consider options and stack up numbers and clarify where the priorities are with understanding of property value/context and what we have to work with in terms of budget.....

Sometimes, by the time you muck around with bitsy and compromised changes here and there, it's actually cheaper/better value long term to bite the bullet and rebuild cleanly with a much better considered and re-configured solution.......you have to look at it as a long term investment....

If we were on the job, probably would have pursued/explored the kitchen being positioned on the south west with a laundry/pantry possibly connecting the the garage, and the north courtyard/external aspect completely opened up and exploited/focused on/centralised with access/focus from both the original part of the home and the new - it would feel much more open in the central area and functionally better..... as for the upper floor well similarly it's not easy to sort this out to be properly zoned for a family without a serious re-jig which potentially requires the bedroom/sunroom to be combined for a main bed with etc main bathroom area becoming the ensuite, or a complete reshuffle of the beautiful front two rooms for master suite with then reshuffle of secondary bedrooms/bathrooms to the rear etc....but it's big big change and and expensive one, which then in turn begs the question of what is the opportunity to knock the back off completely and just get it right once & for all.....my instinct is that either way the costs will pan out similarly one way or the other, or there are some serious "compromises" in regards to layout that you may have to accept/live with.......

Happy to look at some options if you're interested in contacting us directly to potentially assist you.......this one requires a bit of experience and understanding of how to manage/negotiate the scale of these "terrace" or semi-detached types of scenarios

Cheers PD :

• oklouise
    5 years ago

my suggestion include a serious investment in rearranging existing spaces to create the flat upstairs hallway, extra bedroom and bathroom, a kids' lounge, laundry upstairs (where 90% of the washing accumulates) and more comfortable family rooms and kitchen with storage under the new stairs a multi purpose room and opening the living area to the entry hallway

• EL
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thank you so very very much for your fantastic ideas PD and Oklouise! Very much appreciated! :)
  • siriuskey
    5 years ago

I'am not sure how big a budget you have, but to buy in Sydney and having a young family I would be trying to do the best with what you already have, a charming Federation style property. Working with keeping the downstairs plumbing in the same position is a good start. I would keep the upstairs the same layout for the next few years and then move the master suite downstairs into the two front rooms (drawing to come) Upstairs the large front room to become a Rumpus/ Media/guests.

• siriuskey
    5 years ago

This is the pantry style that I used in my drawing

https://www.kaboodle.com.au/products/detail/1000mm-blind-corner-pantry-cabinet

• siriuskey
    5 years ago

By saving on the house you can afford things like this, a pool for the family

• EL
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thank you Siriuskey, your drawings are most helpful. We do have guests staying with us every year so an extra bedroom would be helpful down the track. Great advice on cost saving considerations as well, thanking you!
  • EL
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Hello everyone,

We really like the suggestion by Oklouise and Siriuskey using the dining room as a 4th bedroom for when guests come to stay and potentially moving the kitchen to the south west side. (Am looking forward to planning out a functional and ergonomic kitchen!)

Back to the guest bedroom, would you then build an ensuite off the dining room and a separate WC? I am not keen on a shared door between the guest ensuite and the family room as this affects the privacy of guests and the rest of the family having access to a toilet on the ground floor during their stay.

Oklouise I agree the majority of laundry accumulates on the first floor but we like to line dry our washing and it's just easier to do that on the ground floor.

Have also attached photos of the existing stairs, there are 13 steps from the ground floor to the landing then 6 steps to each split stairway. Not sure if it's still possible to make the stairs one?

The previous owners had fixed glass panels put over most of the bedroom windows probably for noise reduction. They also had these shutters in the sunroom and study (please see pic), would you keep them?

Thanking you all for your wonderful suggestions and being so generous with your time. Ee :)

• oklouise
    5 years ago

with such high ceilings there'll need to be more space for the new stairwell but by rearranging the entry to the dining room there could be space for a separate powder room and laundry under the stairs and and ensuite still keeping the external doors from the new guest room

EL thanked oklouise
  • siriuskey
    5 years ago

without changing the stair case I would suggest the following, the laundry where the old kitchen is behind bifold doors that stack back to the outside wall (can't get the program to show that!)

A new powder room and separate ensuite with external access. The guest bedroom and living room can become master suite and parents retreat giving over the upstairs to the children and guests.

EL thanked siriuskey
  • EL
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you Siriuskey! The grandparents will love having their own private retreat which is another good reason to turn the dining room into the guest room. Stairs are a bit hard on their knees and they will prefer not having to climb them :)

Great suggestion to put the laundry behind bifold doors, although I am wondering if we'd have to put in wet flooring? On top of the existing floorboards? I could have the broom closet there too, that would be handy!

The attic space is long in length but not high. It's highest point is around 1.8m and slopes downwards on 4 roof angles (the center of the attic being the highest point). The lowest end of the wall is similar to the picture attached, will post pics when I climb up there next time. There are 2 skylights in place already, small ones but sufficient given how low the ceilings are.

Oklouise, thank you for your brilliant drawings. I have attached a pic of the current space under the stairs, the width of the step is under 850mm. There is more room in the doorway next to the existing laundry so I'd love to explore the option of having the wc under the stairs.

Originally we were going to make under the stairs a shoe closet. The entryway is just too narrow to fit in a shoe cupboard. Will need a mudroom to the back as well. Haven't quite decided which doorway we will use when coming in from the garage, as it depends on where we put up the pergola/cover from the rain. Was considering this section which joins our neighbour's wall for cover from the garage into our home when it rains. It leads into the southwest side of the family room/potential new kitchen. The lower part of the wall is quite short around 1.7m.

Thanking you both for your wonderful contirbutions, it's been very helpful in helping my husband visualise everything. Many thanks, Ee :)

The Little House · More Info

• EL
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Adding these pics that didn't upload with my previous post.

• siriuskey
    5 years ago

I'am not a carpenter or plumber but I would think it wouldn't be difficult, you would need a floor waste in the laundry area and maybe even remove the floor boards to drop the floor by a very small amount. Love the upstairs passage ways and separate stairs, archs etc, that's a lot of character that I think is very important to keep. Must say though that I still prefer the kitchen in the old position,

EL thanked siriuskey
  • oklouise
    5 years ago

consider the mudroom access at the new kitchen with a covered area between garage and kitchen

EL thanked oklouise
  • siriuskey
    5 years ago

Council permitting I would suggest the following

EL thanked siriuskey
  • oklouise
    5 years ago

what a great idea siriuskey!! i wonder about the distance from the back of the kitchen to the garage wall and the number of steps up from ground level to the garage and kitchen floors and what shape is the roof over both the garage and kitchen so we can make a scale plan

EL thanked oklouise
  • siriuskey
    5 years ago

Yes it is an idea, I didn't include any stairs or other details as I don't have access to levels and how many steps up or down or roof lines etc but an on site inspection by their chosen builder etc would sort that out, as with the width of the garage and courtyard there is plenty of scope to follow this idea through.

EL thanked siriuskey
  • EL
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I love the idea mudroom between the garage and home Siriuskey. Oklouise, there are 4 steps down to the garage. I was using Siriuskey's pool measurements 3870 x 4100 in the pics attached (alas, it will be quite tight and the husband is not keen on a pool, maybe at our next forever home)

So there is approx. 3870mm from the top of the garage steps to the first set of french doors (south west side) and lengthwise approx. 5900mm from the wall to drainage grate. The roof over the garage is flat and some sort of clear cover? I think we will need DA approval to construct this.

Many thanks to you both for your suggestions! Ee ;)

• EL
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Missing pic attached

• oklouise
    5 years ago

subject to council approval if you can build on the south boundary it appears that the space would be ideal for the laundry mudroom and, as the garage is below the courtyard, the new laundry roof and steps should be quite simple to arrange and maybe the barbq could move to the outside of the new laundry with undercover across the back courtyard and keep the side courtyard open to the north

EL thanked oklouise
  • siriuskey
    5 years ago

This would be a good chance to re roof the garage and include the laundry in this roof, a metal roof would look great.

EL thanked siriuskey
  • EL
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thank you Oklouise and Siriuskey. Attached pic of the exisitng kitchen. While I don't mind where it is, it's hard to fit in our existing double door fridge in the cavity. The stove top is also right up against the fridge cavity, the dishwasher is right in the middle and the double sink beside it. I'd prefer a wall oven. when I've factored in the oven, fridge, pantry and appliance nook space required there isn't enough wall space in the existing kitchen to accommodate all that. :(
  • EL
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Pic didn't upload again
  • EL
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Pic didn't upload again

• siriuskey
    5 years ago

If you look back over the previous drawing I had a 1200 blind corner pantry a 600 wall oven and a fridge on the other wall, how big is your fridge. The kitchen space shown in the photo is ridiculous . What are the measurements of both current kitchen walls between doorways and the size and position of the window

EL thanked siriuskey
  • EL
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Hi Siriuskey, our current fridge is 900mm wide x 690mm deep. The current kitchen where the oven is including the fridge cavity measures 3200mm (including inside of the current cabinet). The other side of the cabinets from the window to the door measures 2570mm. I was considering a long fixed window above the bench space? Attached pic of the attic space. Thank you! Ee :)
  • EL
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Missing pics

• siriuskey
    5 years ago

Thanks for that, I will check measurements. I had already added a long narrow window/splashback along the benchtop wall cheera

EL thanked siriuskey
  • siriuskey
    5 years ago

My kitchen layout fits your walls, check it out.

EL thanked siriuskey
  • siriuskey
    5 years ago

If you were to keep the kitchen where it is, with a wall oven you would lose the pantry and with under bench oven you would get a wall of pantry with the fridge. The island is 2m x 900mm

• EL
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thank you for drawing up the kitchen Siriuskey much appreciated! I had hoped to have a deep drawer under the stove top for heavy pots and pans. Haven't decided if we will have a microwave combi oven, would definitely love one! A pantry is also essential...oh well can't have it all. Thank you very much, Ee :)
  • siriuskey
    5 years ago

Convection ovens are much smaller now , you can have draws in the island opposite the oven cooktop., looks like moving the kitchen to allow for the things you want. Any idea of what the budget is for doing the house

• EL
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    No real idea of what the other renovations would cost ie. the stairs, mudroom etc. Have been given quotes for the kitchen in existing spot of around $40k (poly cabinets) and main bathroom and ensuite on first floor to strip out n retile of another $50k. Guess it will all come down to cost in the end. We're hoping to get some quotes once drawings are more finalised.

Also realised the current laundry and wc room measures only 1450mm in width, not quite 1700mm which would be ideal.
  • siriuskey
    5 years ago

I have decided to go for an extension which would have the same roof as the double garage, new kitchen/mudroom laundry/Media room

• EL
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thank you for the lovely idea Siriuskey, but a media room would take up more courtyard space and it's already quite narrow as it is. Ee :)
  • siriuskey
    5 years ago

Thought I would try it as your lovely house has lots of rooms but nothing with a lot of space for a family with two growing boys. Any ideas on how you want to proceed

• EL
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    At the moment the boys kick soccer balls up n down the narrow courtyard in lieu of a backyard. We really like the idea of a mudroom connecting the garage and the home, waiting on a site survey report to draw up the plans properly. Next step would be getting quotes from builders? If you have any other ideas/advice please do share them. Thank you for all your help Siriuskey! Ee :)
  • siriuskey
    5 years ago

Funny you should mention the boys and the ball, my idea was to extend out to the side to give you a bigger Kitchen/ Family

• EL
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Extending out to the side was also our initial idea but we thought it might be more cost effective to relocate areas within the current floor plan. An architect friend of ours also thought for the space we would gain with a side extension it wouldn't be worth it. I think if we were to extend to just past the first set of french doors it would look like the photos you have shared. Love them! Now you've got me thinking of extending again, hehe. My husband really wants to unite the split stairway and I fear that will be quite costly.
  • siriuskey
    5 years ago

I agree with letting the stairs stay as they are it's part of the charm of the house, the master bed was most likely placed where it is to get away from any street noise. I love the glass side extension, as I think that the current living space is too small and it would be very expensive to try and open into the dining.

• EL
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    In the extension photos you have shared they have a fair bit more yard space left even after extending. For us it would be quite close to the neighbours fenceline.
  • siriuskey
    5 years ago

how far, I had approx 1300

• EL
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I have to double check but it will be about 500mm with the planter boxes, 1100mm if we knocked them out. :(
  • siriuskey
    5 years ago

Love small narrow gardens, is the neighbouring house built to the wall. I would put a wall across from the house near the old verandah. This courtyard will become part of the family room, the boys are gunna need a bigger space to kick that ball very soon,

• EL
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    There are 3 houses on the northern side of ours. They hv their backyards and pools against the wall. Haha, this will be our forever home for the next 10years at least :)
  • siriuskey
    5 years ago

You could reduce the width of the extension by a small amount so as not to make the kitchen family too small once again. That's great that you don't have a two story duplex along that boundary