Houzz Logo Print
webuser_865061651

Your thoughts on our design concept

Tee
4 years ago

Hi All,

We're very excited as we have recently bought ourselves a home. It's an old weatherboard home (maybe 1920-1940s). We're planning to extend and renovate the home before we start a family.

I've attached a picture of our current layout and a few more of some of the concept designs from our draftsman.

Our main objectives we want to achieve for renovating/extending:

1) We have a north facing backyard and want to take advantage of this as much of possible in our new design. We love natural lighting and wherever possible would like to take advantage of opening up the house to this where possible. The current layout has very low ceilings from the kitchen to back of the house (part of an old extension) is quite low and the overall space is not very practical.

2) We intend to stay at the property for the next 7-10 years and want to achieve a nice open plan, practical layout for us to enjoy over the years. We want to strike a balance between adding value to the property and not over capitalising on the property. We may plan to sell the home in the future so we would like a design that would appeal to the masses and just make sense.

Current Layout:

Option 1:

What we like about this design:

- This design takes advantage of the current house layout and allows us to retain the 3 rooms in the front and existing bathroom. We are quite happy to run with this if it's going to save us $$.

- We love cooking and entertaining so the walk in pantry and kitchen is a good size. It is also well connected to the other living spaces which we love.

- This design allows us to install a window panel as the kitchen's splashback (which we really like)

- It's important that the Study can be converted to a 4th bedroom

Our concerns about this design:

- We don't personally mind it so much but I wanted to get people's thoughts on the dog leg entry/hallway

- The living area seems a little cramped? We have a 65" flat screen. I'm thinking of adding an extra dining area to the left of the kitchen so we can have a larger living area. See design option 2.

- Study is a bit secluded from the rest of the house. I would like some more connectivity with the rest of the house, more sunlight and a better view of the backyard.

- Not sure if the hallway to the toilet/laundry area is a good use of space?

Option 2

What we like about the design:

- The dog leg entry no longer exists and we have a wider entry way of 1.3m throughout.

- Study is in a good position and can easily be converted to a 4th bedroom.

- Study is well connected with the rest of the living areas

- Laundry access to laneway so we can dry our clothes

- This design has a smaller internal space and leaves us with a slightly larger backyard (0.5 -1 m from the back fence)

Our concerns with this design:

- To achieve this design, it requires us to remove our existing bathroom. Given the house is pre 1970s...there is a risk of asbestos (I will have to get it tested to know). If this is the case, it would add to the cost of relocating the bathroom and I'm not sure if it is really worth it?

- Kitchen design won't allow us to achieve the window splashback as the WIP is on the other side. Also kitchen front seems a little cramped...can't figure out where I'd place the fridge and oven (above waist height). We ideally don't want to have to walk into the pantry everytime we need to grab a drink or check on the roast

- We shouldn't be complaining about storage but the WIP design just seems a little over the top...almost like a butler's pantry? We would prefer more dedicated storage away from the kitchen for our camping/sports gear.

So I guess the big questions are:

i) Which design do you like better and why?

ii) Which design do you think will provide us with a better yield in 7-10 years time?

ii) Do you have any design suggestions that could make either of this work better?

P.S Sorry about the very long post. I thought I'd try and include as much information here as possible.

Comments (16)