Houzz Logo Print
webuser_1822339

Magical Boys Room - Before & After

I wanted to create a room that was practical, spacious and had a wow factor! These two little boys are very active, outdoor, camping (very well-dressed) type boys. They love sleeping under the stars, so my first thought was to create somewhat of an outdoors feel inside. I had teepee beds built to fit the room, including a tepee tent. The beds serve three purposes. Firstly, they are on the ground which makes it so much easier for the boys to get in and out of (being 4 and 2) and much easier to make their beds in the morning. Secondly, they both have fairy lights across the top, giving the ambiance of laying down and staring at the stars. They do, however, also create a soft glow so if they are to wake up in the night and need light, they have it, without waking the other up. Thirdly, they look amazing!

Before:

Boys Bedroom · More Info

After:

Boys Bedroom · More Info

I think the real wow factor in this room though is the stripe feature wall. I simply measured the height of the existing cream wall and divided this measurement by 5. I divided it by an odd number because I wanted the top and bottom stripe to be blue. I then shaved off a few cm’s between these two colours to add lexicon white to make them pop. The remaining three walls are a lighter grey colour, all colours Taubman’s. I then set to work also painting the roof, skirting and cornices in lexicon white too.

During:

After:

Boys Bedroom · More Info

From here, I painted a Walt Disney saying ‘If you can dream it, you can do it’ as inspiration for the boys to read every day. I then set to work decorating the rest of the room with various blue and green hues, added a rug and shelving.

During:

After:

Boys Bedroom · More Info

I absolutely love the room and more so the boys do. A few days later, this beautiful mother was walking past the bedroom but stopped at the door when she saw her 2-year-old just sitting on the bed smiling, staring at the twinkling fairy lights, lost in his own little world. She managed to capture this moment with a sneaky picture on her phone and sent it to me. I still smile when I think of this. My job is done!

See entire project here!

Comments (12)