Houzz Logo Print
hradford123

Building a new home is hell

hradford123
4 years ago

I have been working through the processes and procedures required to build a new home and have found the process arduous, protracted and expensive. I have been at it for 18 months and have only got as far as nearing the acquisition of a building permit. I have spent a considerable amount of money and more time than I can spare trying to comply with the bureaucratic maze that is the building process these days. Just getting a planing permit took a year with having to try and comply with Heritage overlays, resicode regulations and the council building department. I can see now why most people opt for a builder to do all of this for you, i am doing this as an owner builder and am in the trade as a qualified carpenter. I have done renovations and extensions before and have found them enjoyable and relatively hassle free compared to applying to build a new home.

The project is unusual in that it involves demolishing my half of a maisonette and replacing it with a modern design that has a lot of energy efficient features that were hard to get approved by the heritage officer, which is disappointing as I feel reducing our carbon footprint is far more important than reproducing antiquated architecture that fails to do anything other than satisfy a minorities fetish for Victorian style housing design???

the whole process has disheartened and disillusioned me in relation to using good design to achieve a suite of positive outcomes such as livability, use of natural light and passive heating and cooling as well a unique architecture that promotes change and challenges the prevailing status quo.

I will finish this job and live to enjoy the fruits of my labor and endurance. I just feel that for some the hurdles must seem unconquerable and punitive when they try to deal with due process that serve no one but established systems and outdated stereotypes.

I will post some progress images as the project progresses and leave it to the disaffected building enthusiast to judge me on the merits of the product as it takes form.

Wish me luck if you like??

I am going to need it I think.

Home · More Info

Comments (5)