Houzz Logo Print
suetheron_london

Heeelp!! Design advice for extension, it's blowing out

Souzette Lovell
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Hello Houzzers. If ever I need help from the creative Brains Trust, it's now!!

My small box extension needs urgent design help - particularly the performance under very hot summers. I need a simple way to have the original house and extension meet, so as to enable the extension to have a higher roof, without endangering the original house.

I've already demolished the derelict laundry at the back. The location faces west, on a hill with 1:7 slope. It also faces a potentially lovely garden on a deep site. I've already obtained second-hand bifold windows to take up the whole western elevation, so as to open up to the garden.

The simplest construction will be a 9m x 4.75m box with a portal frame structure. It needs to be self-supporting and not tied to the existing old 1927 house due to structural issues with the existing.

These are some issues and options:

• due to the need to 'tuck' the new extension under the old roof, there's a big danger right now of creating an unpleasant heat-trap in summer if we follow the existing pitch (image option 1). This is the direction the Structural Engineer and architect are currently going......
  • Is there a relatively safe way to do an oversized box gutter between the two? (image option 2)
  • is there a more elegant simple way to divert any risk of water damage from the old house to the new extension (eg image option 3)
  • what do people think of - say - a 650mm wide reveal around the junctions between the old house and new extension (ie window and kitchen door) - would this put people off if I wanted to sell it, would it look 'weird' ??

My budget for all this to lockup stage is $20K only. Am I dreaming, should I just refurbish the existing remaining shell, and put a pergola up and forget about the third bedroom and living areas?

Thank you for any advice and opinions!!

ROOF JUNCTION

OPTION 1

DETAIL OF CONNECTION

ROOF JUNCTION

OPTION 2

ROOF JUNCTION

OPTION 3

here's the floorplan of the extension only just in case...

orientation West is facing bifolds

Thank You!!

Comments (10)