Houzz Logo Print
katy_williams26

Renovating a tiny bathroom

Katy Williams
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Problem: we NEED to change out the bathroom (it's leaking beyond patching). It's a 1970's addition tacked onto the side of very loved a 1930's mishmash. The "need room" has a low ceiling (2150 high) and is just 2700 x 1800mm. The toilet and shower are plumbed to the two corners of the "long" 2700 wall, with the vanity opposite the toilet. The plumber CAN do an inwall cistern, but can't swap them over - too many problems. The corner door cannot move and HAS to open inward (cavity/sliding door is not an option)...so it's tight. I can't change the fact that you open to face the shower and view the toilet.

To the horror of the local bathroom businesses, I don't want to go fully modern Australian with its big uniform floor tiles, wall tiles to the ceiling and clean modern minimal lines. I WANT to put the cistern in the wall; lose the shower hobs; have 1 finish across the floor, but this does not resolve "the look" issues. I love marble, but (cost aside) I don't look after it well enough. I had thought about encaustic, tessellated or mosaic tiles on the floor, subway tiles in shower/ 1 metre up on walls - but so far the cost of my first floor ideas was prohibitive. So next idea: what do you think about the "galaxy" tile (below) on the floor? Is it TOO tired looking? If I went this route, what might work on the walls/vanity? I'm not sure I'm brave enough for a black-based 1000 mm vanity - but would it work? Any and all other ideas welcome!

Our Range -- Porcelain/Ceramic | encaustic · More Info

Some Houzz photos of bathrooms I LOVE...

Cambrian Custom Home · More Info

46 stunning small bathroom makeover ideas 11 ⋆ aegisfilmsales.com · More Info

Breezy Blue Home · More Info

And what I have at the moment!

Comments (33)