Houzz Logo Print
webuser_706682169

Revamping my narrow!! tile/concrete courtyard, incl grass for pups

Jahna M
3 years ago

Hoping to refresh my narrow courtyard to provide a grass patch for my pups, without it looking like a puppy pad! I have found Plant Tiles, which look ideal, only needing a soil/medium depth of about 200mm. Prefer a more French accent, rather than Uber-modern...and ideas gratefully appreciated! I have been staring at it for too long!!

Comments (6)

• oklouise
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

already looks like a French courtyard only needs a bistro umbrella and some suitable music and the puppy toilet...lots of great ideas on Google but i'd also try a shallow plastic wading pool and/or kids sandpit for digging in could also be useful especially when puppies are home alone

• Jahna M
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you...but i am trying to avoid it looking like a puppy toilet, and make it a part of the courtyard...the tiles are all lifting and have to be replaced, so the time is right

• differentways
    3 years ago

your tiles look perfect I would have them repaired and spend the money on new larger planters removing the small ones. As OKL said a small flat container with sand and a doggy potty around the end. Like children puppies grow quickly and won't need the sand. I wouldn't consider any real turfs in such a small space.

Jahna M thanked differentways
  • Jahna M
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks for all of your great comments and feedback!!...point taken on mowing, that is a definite no but I have found these at Plant Tiles - Zoysia or Dichondra - which I think could work in a raised garden bed, at about the height of a step, 200mm. I love the idea of pavers and gravel, but wonder if it will be tracked inside. I have a planter of lavender and rosemary which I would like to add to, Forte sounds lovely. I have one rose, want more, and a lot of geraniums...my weakness! Maybe larger planter boxes bordering the raised grass bed, with stepping stones?? I will need a clever builder/handy person to help with building the box and incorporating good drainage...

• Kay Bodman
    3 years ago

From experience one need larger areas for both of those ‘grasses’ to grow lush otherwise quickly become patchy unless never stepped on by human or dog. They are tender and don’t take traffic. You may find it very hard to lawn a courtyard that will get a lot of wear and tear unless expertly landscaped for all functions. A lot will depend on your climate, orientation and how the area will be used. For grass you may need a very robust grass, but that requires maintenance

Jahna M thanked Kay Bodman