Houzz Logo Print
houzzerpolls

POLL: Best spot for homework?

Houzz Polls
10 years ago
last modified: 10 years ago
With summer winding down and kids heading back to school, we wanted to know:

Where do your kids do their homework and what tips do you have for creating a good study environment at home?

Vote AND SHARE YOUR TIPS IN A COMMENT to be entered to win a pair of Houzz slippers sent right to your door!

*One entry per person, per drawing. Entries must be posted before 12:00am Pacific Time 8/18/13. One winner will be drawn at random.
Living / Family Room
Office / Homework space
Bedroom
Kitchen Table
Other - Tell us Below!

Comments (218)

• tea42
    10 years ago
    Kitchen! I can make sure they're using their time productively and, since I have twins, can help both at the same time. It's easier to spread out as well.
  • hm k
    10 years ago
    I prefer the kids to do homework in their bedrooms. there are too many distractions in the living areas... I do think the computer should be in a public space though
  • Related Discussions

Reno v Knock-down rebuild

Q

Comments (41)
    We have a similar home in a sydney beach suburb. We are in a different position where we have bought ours as a downsized but are just about to restore the old 50s beauty to its former self. We have quotes of around $400000 to gut and change the floor plan which includes 2 bathrooms and a new kitchen and also add internal stairs to the garage and a large deck off the back, lift some ceilings and replace gutters, eaves ect ect ect. Attached are my inspiration boards and what the house looks like now, hopefully in about 4 months I can update you.
    ...See More

How do you store bras?

Q

Comments (445)
    Styker, can you sew? Craftsy have a course that shows you how to make your own. I’m getting older and retail bras don’t sit very well anymore so making my own is on the agenda.
    ...See More

POLL: Would you rather a freestanding kitchen bin or under-sink bin?

Q

Comments (15)
    Under sink bin added when we moved to our home 18 years ago as there was not a lot of floor room. Opening door was awkward. However now with an updated kitchen it was suggested to have pull out bin in island bench. Chop food on bench then scraps into bins. Too easy. It is practical, more room to move around work zones with re configuration. If you empty regularly it is not a problem with odour and part of the integrated design. Its clever cabinetry.
    ...See More

Help with 60s /mid mod kitchen

Q

Comments (35)
    You have a lovely young family they only get bigger. I'ts a shame that you can't find another position for the TV as it would be good to be able to see it from the Kitchen via your peninsular, so as to keep an eye on what the kids are watching especially as they get a bit bigger. I'am feeling a bit over the WIP and the idea of walking into a small often dark space, I really like the narrow hidden pantry (Running parallel behind the kitchen). I also like the full length pantries that can be shallow or with draws to make it easy to find things, with either sliding or opening doors. What height is the wall between the new dining and kitchen
    ...See More
  • Phoebe Siter
    10 years ago
    Kitchen table so I can help with questions
  • ssullivan3
    10 years ago
    I'd love to say something like study or even bedroom, but kitchen table is just way more practical and realistic for us.
  • bjens
    10 years ago
    My boys memorized things - multiplication tables, state capitals - while shooting baskets or riding bikes around the cul de sac but everything else was at the kitchen table. Tried to set them up with desks in their rooms but I guess misery loves company.
  • tamea
    10 years ago
    Kitchen is the hub of the house.
  • dstroer
    10 years ago
    Always the kitchen table. In my room all alone was just a bit too quiet and easier to get help when needed!
  • haybigmomma
    10 years ago
    Dinning room table is the main study area. My kids don't like to be alone, and they we are available to help when questions arise.
  • Michel Turcotte
    10 years ago
    2 kids, one parent : kitchen table offers the maximum available space... And great vue on what they are doing ;)
  • rogaepupa
    10 years ago
    kids usually study in the kitchen because their parent's are either cooking or doing stuff in the kitchen. The table in the kitchen makes it comfortable for all kinds of study while asking your folks some insights in your homework or ideas about your work.
  • santilliserrano
    10 years ago
    Now that my kids are actually teenagers, they do hw in their bedroom. However, the computer and printer is at the eating area of the kitchen!
  • lgsc
    10 years ago
    As I grew up, I always did my homework in my room. If I had a question, I always asked my older sister who I shared rooms with. Both of us were pretty studious, and I remember my parents yelling at us to get out of our rooms a little more. Now, my son does his homework at the dining table - easier to answer his questions and also make sure he's doing the work! Funny how differently generations turn out.
  • Carol Price
    10 years ago
    A specific place like a home office is best for studying. There are no distractions and you have everything at your fingertips.
  • AKB
    10 years ago
    Homework is done where ever in the house there's a chair and suitable surface area. It's down to the individual, some need peace and no distractions, others need hubbub, company and things going on to concentrate fully and be productive.
  • mgreen1
    10 years ago
    Homework time works great siting at the kitchen table as long as all kids have their space and attention as needed. I think depending on age it may transition in later years to the bedroom.
  • juanita2
    10 years ago
    My granddaughters have been here for the summer and we have been working on refreshing their minds by playing homework games in the livingroom. they are very comfortable and seem to be excelling wonderfully and have fun at the same time.
  • armygirl1987
    10 years ago
    I do not really think that it matters where they do the homework. Think they need quietness and a place to concentrate.
  • Jennifer Coker
    10 years ago
    When my kids are older, I may do bedroom, but at 6 and 8 I can still help them get homework done while I make dinner.
  • Samantha E
    10 years ago
    I think the bedroom. That's where I study all the time. I have a desk in my room. I like the bedroom because I can sit at my desk, lay on my bed, or sit on the floor. I also feel more organized in my room.
  • PRO
    Sheri's Design and Consulting
    10 years ago
    The kitchen table has always been a favorite for my kids. They're very diligent with their schoolwork but when they get tired or just need a break there's always food for snacking.
  • PRO
    Sequins
    10 years ago
    I think different age groups have different requirements, so a place suitable for different ages. Kitchen table until they reach the teens. Living room or bedroom until they reach university, then may be a study room where there are least no of distractions, so focus is on careers.
  • reeb68
    10 years ago
    Kitchen island always works for my kids - they need back ground noise, plus it's convenient while I'm making dinner if they need help.
  • ginaj8103
    10 years ago
    I was drawn to the photo with 2 desks and 2 red chairs...probably because I have twins and would love to do this for them! Most likely, we will be doing homework at the kitchen table or on the bar stools at the kitchen counter during their younger years. I did most of my homework on my bed when I was in junior high and high school, but I would've loved my own desk!
  • Melissa Tew
    10 years ago
    After a long day at school for the kids and a long day at work for my husband and I, homework on the "Isle of Smarties" (kitchen island) lets us help out and simply be present while they are doing their homework and we are preparing food to fuel their dreams!
  • cjsantafe
    10 years ago
    Kitchen table makes them feel a part of things, and they can easily ask for help during dinner prep. Being able to focus amidst activity is a good skill to build, and the rest of us are respectful of those doing homework.
  • hmb4444
    10 years ago
    The kitchen table is much like a classroom and creates a culture of learning in the home. The right table, comfortable chair (not too comfortable) and lots of natural light goes a long way to making study possible. If the space is inviting, clean and calm, kids can settle and be inspired.
  • Dew Prince
    10 years ago
    The Kitchen, especially if their is an island.
    I think that its a place where you can open your mind to be creative and free. and its easy to ask for help if mommy or daddy is cooking dinner, than walking around getting distracted.

The living room and bed room I believe "psychologically" it automatically comes with the relax and cozy mood that you do not want your child to be in while studying or doing their homework.

Where as the office gives them a pressure making them feel like they are obligated to work hard, fast, and well.
    and no child likes being obligated to do ANYTHING. plus no one is their to look or remind them that they are working, if not that can cause their minds to run away to another land with the help of the computer. Facebook, twitter etc...
  • Roxanne Reed
    10 years ago
    the dining room table...large enough to spread out, good lighting, close to snacks and drinks, not comfortable enough to fall a sleep
  • Matt Butcher
    10 years ago
    If I really needed to focus, then the kitchen table was the place to be, but most the time I would work on my bed.
  • moceansylvia
    10 years ago
    If my children need help its easier to give them help while preparing dinner or snacks
  • Kat Ressler
    10 years ago
    I personally think an office/homework center works best. The parent can control electronics access, while the student is surrounded by inspirational and mind focusing decor. Further nothing gets lost if storage and space is organized for that purpose. To me, it doesn't have to be a whole "room"; for example our kitchen table spot is filled w 2 desks and a bookcase. It has the computers, printers, calandars, crafts, etc. and we call it the "family command" center: everyone stays informed and my 4 year old has a spot to color that isn't my walls!
  • Catherine Leonard
    10 years ago
    By the end of the day sometimes its nice to have a parent available and Mom's are in the kitchen, the hub of the house
  • PRO
    Shakuff
    10 years ago
    kitchen table!
  • kar8abun
    10 years ago
    I know that I'm supposed to say a desk in a quiet area, but I have to go with the kitchen table as the most realistic solution for our household of 4 students. It's easier for me to tutor and get dinner completed. :D My son even practices his instrument in the kitchen because it "feels better in here". Go figure!
  • Angela Yokota
    10 years ago
    Any kind of family time is quality, and what is more communal than the kitchen?
  • 1962valiant
    10 years ago
    The kitchen table has my vote. Younger children are more at ease when Mom or Dad are present at the same time, preparing dinner, etc. Assisting and spending time with them is invaluable to their educational success.
  • murieltoca
    10 years ago
    The kitchen area is multitask and it's the get together of many activities and homework is very convenient
  • connierae24
    10 years ago
    We prefer the living / family room : has a calming and relaxing feel: kitchen for us : is to "busy" family room is where we keep our "homework reward box" once homework is completed : and after we review for any errors our child can choose a reward for the homework box ; this includes everything from a pass for a movie night- to a special sweet treat - to gaming time (with a time limit ) to a single dollar - having a sleepover : to a free "get out of emptying the dishwasher" card this has worked great for our 2 boys ages 18 and10 !
  • Tina Thomas
    10 years ago
    I Am Going To Stick To The Bed Room and Having Their Own Little Spot To Have Quiet Time,Dinner Room's Should Be Left For Dinner And Family Time Together ,That's Where Families Should Have Their Time Together The Home work need's To Stay With Their Bed Room's ,If They Are Fortunate To Have A Spot Like That !
  • jillian_haberman
    10 years ago
    I think that it used to be the norm for kids to work at the kitchen tables because "Mom helped with homework and she was in the kitchen cooking" was also the norm. With norms shifting I think a study area in the office where mom/dad is hooked into her/his computer working on closing this or that file and is available to help would be a more logical place now. For teens also who need less assistance but still need to have someone keeping a passing eye on what they are doing a space in the study makes sense. I feel strongly that the bed room should be kept for sleeping and sleep preparation, not study, not hanging out and not playing video games or watching TV either. Kids are offered a lot of privacy these days and I don't think this is a good thIng.
  • Carol Zarrilli
    10 years ago
    My kids did their homework at the kitchen table where I could easily assist while cooking dinner.
  • PRO
    Bill Fry Construction - Wm. H. Fry Const. Co.
    10 years ago
    School starts Monday 8/19 - can't believe it. Ditto from above. Although our son's desk is set up in his bedroom, I know it is going to be the kitchen counter again this year. :) Rhoda
  • hardel
    10 years ago
    Kids should have a quiet spot in their bedroom away from distractions to do homework.
  • PRO
    Ahh! Products Bean Bag Chairs
    10 years ago
    My best tip is to add a bean bag chair to kids' spaces. They are proven to encourage reading - especially with kids that don't sit well in rigid traditional chairs. Bean bags let kids reposition easily and into many positions - so they can fidget without losing focus - great of kids with ADHD for example!
  • deidrer
    10 years ago
    Depends on the child & age. I prefer my children doing their homework at the kitchen table so I can help them while I'm unpacking lunch boxes & backpacks & preparing supper. However my oldest who is 9 does better when he does his homework in the office. It is quiet & there is nothing to distract him. I just float between the two rooms to give help when needed.
  • Jeannie Nguyen
    10 years ago
    CONGRATULATIONS to Melissa Christine for winning this poll! :) If you still want a chance to win your own Houzz slippers, try commenting on our Dream Backyard poll! Click here:
    https://www.houzz.com/discussions/poll-dream-backyard-feature-dsvw-vd~609729
  • mimi1980
    10 years ago
    Kitchen table! It's the center of the home and I can multi task with dinner, laundry and cleaning.
  • tgrdnr
    10 years ago
    I find that a seperate homework space works best. Somewhere where you can have a computer, dictionary, calculatore and anything else you might need right on hand arranged neatly in little drawers. But that space could be anywhere--in the kitchen, a bedroom, livingroom, or even in a completely seperate room all together
  • dgermann
    10 years ago
    Plenty of space and easy to check that they are doing their homework and if they need any help. It makes almost a family time project.
  • Manhar Singh Sachdeva
    3 years ago

As I am a high school student, I would prefer to study on my desk because everything is at my fingertips. I can concentrate easily. I do my homework on the kitchen table because I can ask doubts from my elder sister easily.