Houzz Logo Print
concordblondie

Should I replace bench top and splashback?

Deborah Xuereb
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

EDIT: I now have much better photos and have decided to go ahead and replace the laminate top with an engineered stone benchtop and matching splashback. I want to go with a white benchtop and splashback, but having had a look at the engineered stone slabs last weekend, I'm now concerned about what kind of white I should choose. Given the size of my kitchen, should I go for a stark white, or choose something which has a tiny fleck? I do love the white with a tiny grey fleck and the occasional sparkle, but wonder if that is too "modern" for my timber cupboards.

My kitchen is almost 30 years old, solid timber and in excellent condition, so I don't want to replace the whole thing. However, the subway tiles and laminated benchtops I feel could do with an upgrade and I'd like some advice please. The splashback extends onto three walls, under cupboards and under a window. The tiles are not loose. The benchtops are laminate with a timber edge. I have posted two photos which are not ideal (they are cropped from photos in my phone, and I'll try to get some better photos tonight), but you may be able to see that the benchtops have a timber edge. Ideally, I'd love to install a white stone top. I had a look inside one of the cupboards last night and it seems that the benchtop is screwed on. I'm wondering if it's possible to have a glass splashback glued onto the existing tiles rather than having to have the tiles removed.

I'd be very pleased to hear from anyone who has done something similar, and if anyone can recommend a company that does this sort of thing. I'm in Sydney.

Comments (10)