Houzz Logo Print
bellenell69

Fireplace conundrum

Belle Nell
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I have the opportunity to change the location of the fireplace and tv to create the illusion of more space and better the flow of this very small space but I cannot decide what will work best. I would like to enclose the fireplace and create shelving. Any suggestions gratefully appreciated. Note the desk on the right and the tall blue cupboard are temporary.

received.

Comments (12)

• bigreader
    3 years ago

A floor plan would be very helpful.

Belle Nell thanked bigreader
  • oklouise
    3 years ago

would be very surprised to learn that the free standing fire in your photo could be safely enclosed.. have you checked with the manufacturer for advice?

• Belle Nell
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi Louise it won’t be completely enclosed it will look a bit like this And all safety specs have been adhered to ☺️

• oklouise
    3 years ago

floorplans please?

Belle Nell thanked oklouise
  • Belle Nell
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Floor plan now attached ☺️

• oklouise
    3 years ago

we need the dimensions of the whole open space including the kitchen and showing all doors and windows

• Black Bamboo
    3 years ago

If the space is very small why do you need such a massive combustion heater? You could get a model half that size and still heat your house. A smaller heater could be tucked into a more convenient location instead of being the feature of the room enabling you to put your TV wherever without restrictions. This stove can heat a sizable home in a climate much colder than ours.

It's about 1ft wide and half the size of the stove you currently have in there. You can tuck these into little corners and free up the room for furniture.

• bigreader
    3 years ago

I love the compact fireplaces, as above. Would consider one myself. When reading reviews, they point out an oft forgotten consideration - that the standard trailer load of delivered wood includes logs that don’t fit, so be aware that unless you’re prepared to chop the logs down to size or special order a standard size fireplace may be better.

• Belle Nell
    Original Author
    3 years ago

The fireplace is actually very small. 50cm wide x 26cm deep So very small and yes getting timber is not easy.

• purplekristi
    3 years ago

I am confused by the plan and the photo.

What are you trying to achieve and how do you live? Do you need the fireplace and to feed it wood? Or can you use a heater..or a fake fire such as ethanol?

You could put an entire wall of shelving if you needed it - but only relevant if that is what you want.

Where are windows and views? What do you want to look at when you are sitting down? Are you home at night watching tv or are you home in day and want light from outside?

We have lots of conflicting requirements in our house that working through have helped us sort out what each room does based on how we use it now - and what we will use it for when it is finished.

• Kate
    3 years ago

The plan is lacking dimension and doesn’t match photo. Can you amend