Houzz Logo Print
webuser_887393954

Help layout tangles

fianou luca
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Help me redesign our house layout! its an old late 40s art decohouse. its in northern nsw and is raised up a lot for flood. the challenges. low budget, happy to rerrange, open or close walls but not completely rebuild. can't do a knock down build. awkward 90s reno that opened up the kitchen/dining lounge in a weird way. the dead unusable areas created by traffic flow like near the back door. nowhere for furniture in lounge and no direct light making it gloomy.. kitchen doesn't look at view and bathroom blocks it. no view to the sides. the awkward path to walk into (its almost an s shaped path) and around the house. any ideas? i've considered opening up bed2 and combining with lounge and re-closing the dining room to create a new bedroom but i'm not sure where to fit dining area? the bathroom is the only newish thing, kitchen is barely functioning and needs some asbestos removal, toilet same;

our family needs

-bath/toilet

-kitchen (with pantry)

-dining area

-living/tv

-school/art/craft area

-linen/laundry

-at least 2 bedrooms . 1 for adults and another for 3 kids. if you can make 3?

-office/computer

we have a piano and lots of books.

lots of storage!!

obviously some of these areas will need to combine. i prefer sleeping areas just that and don't want play/study in kids rooms please.

i keep designing myself into corner. HELP!! we realise its too small long term but need it liveable for now could be a few years before we can afford to move. it'd sell well into the tree-change market. we dream of a shed house. we like all on top of each other doing our separate things. it doesn't look out at anything right now and feels cluttered and pokey. I don't need my kitchen open plan. currently have adults in bed 1 and kids in bed 2. give me some ideas! it'll never be new and slick but does vintage eclectic with an art deco twist pretty well.

Comments (28)