Houzz Logo Print
valeriekha

New front door - do i need to replace the door frame

valeriekha
2 years ago

Hi,

We are looking at replacing our front door and am wondering if it's easier/necessary to replace door frame as well.

Our current door has a deadbolt and a knob.

We have purchased a smartlock we will be installing on the new door and will not need a separate door handle. As such the there'll be an empty spot where the deadbolt was in the inside door frame. Which was why we were thinking we should replace it?

The other thing is that the bulkiness of the new smartlock may result in the distance between the door and the current security door not being wide enough and the smartlock may touch the security door. I've attached a pic of our outside doorframe that looks like an old security door may have been attached further out than our current one and we thought perhaps we could place a new security door against that original position to create more space between the front door and the security door.

I've received a quote from a carpenter for $1430 to replace the door frame for me. It seems a bit steep to me but i don't really have a baseline to work from. Does this price sound reasonable?

Do i need to replace the door frame or is there a workaround? Help please :)

Comment (1)