Houzz Logo Print
shlok_tailor

steep driveway: building house on Kachina Drive Mount barker

Shlok Tailor
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

i need a solution for this as i donot want to push my garage back or house back otherwise there will be no space at the back side.

"For this lot, our engineer has fud that what you are wanting the front setback to be won’t work with the driveway grade As per the attached photos, the driveway falls 1m very steeply. To have the garage on setback 5.5m we wont achieve the allowable driveway grade. The house will need to be pushed back. Pushing the garage back alone wont be enough either as the portico sticks out too far at the front and you cant have a driveway higher than the portico."

Comments (11)

• oklouise
    2 years ago

we need to see the the proposed floor and site plans with dimensions

• Kate
    2 years ago

Assuming the footpath has not crossfall, you need 2m of 1:8 or 12.5% to avoid bottoming out then 1:4 20% max before another 2 m transition to your flat garage . Note 1in4 is too steep to park on., it’s a steep ramp and not great to walk up. Have you considered having your garage at a higher level.

• Shlok Tailor
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Master plan is ready but still CFR and site plan not ready yet. i will suggest to this my builder thank you very much.

• Shlok Tailor
    Original Author
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

hi kate,

i have got this reply from the engineers. Now builder will give me some suggestions for portico without piers. so still house will be push back half meter and fecade will change no piers.

If still you can give me some suggestions will be greatfull please

Check the reply from engineer bottom of the image.

"

Please see below comments from the engineer. Please let me know how you wish to proceed.

As per the attached preliminary site plan and photos, the site has a steep embankment at the front.

There is a portico alongside the driveway (you cannot have the driveway higher than the portico) there is only approx. 3m to 4m of driveway that can be graded.

The maximum driveway grade allowed is 1 in 5 (20%) in the ramp between transitions of 2m long at 1 in 10 (10%) both at the start and at the end.

This does not leave any ramp length and the driveway can only grade down 400mm over 4m.

The site will need to be filled 400-500mm and the existing retaining wall to the right will not be high enough. Also a retaining wall will be required to the front.

I suggest moving the house back 1.3m so there can be a ramp in the driveway and existing site levels/retaining walls can remain close to what they are. (some fill may still be required)

Alternatively remove/reduce to portico and setback the house less"

• bigreader
    2 years ago

Your block already requires additional fill and it looks like another retaining wall to be built three metres off the back fence. If you go ahead with the plan as per your picture you’ll have the new retaining wall 2.7 metres from the edge of your alfresco. Any increased set back to accommodate the driveway reduces that 2.7 metres. How high is the new retaining wall going to be? You are in a pickle.

• Shlok Tailor
    Original Author
    2 years ago

back fence

• Shlok Tailor
    Original Author
    2 years ago

so rightnow i will go ahead with change the portico design and house setback around half a meter!!

• Shlok Tailor
    Original Author
    2 years ago

is it possible that if we do addition fill at the front part can solve the problem???

• dreamer
    2 years ago

Your engineer mentioned this in the report you have posted. This will then cause the retaining wall to be too low, and have to be rebuilt.

• dreamer
    2 years ago

“The site will need to be filled 400-500mm and the existing retaining wall to the right will not be high enough. Also a retaining wall will be required to the front.”