Houzz Logo Print
lockmac

What should I do with the extra driveway I have?

lockmac
last year

Hi there.

We are wanting to landscape the front and back of our house, including replacing our driveway with exposed agg, but have some concerns around how the front will look.

As per the attached picture, our front yard includes 2 driveways and a carport (brick/cream on the left and a painted black one on the right).

Our plan is to remove the carport and increase the size of our backyard right up to where the carport is (probably a fence with tress/bushes against it). The backyard isn't very big because it has a pool and the car port taking up a big amount of space/

But, we are worried about how that will look with the driveway and also if it will look a bit bare.

The block is quite wide so we have quite a bit of empty space on the left (where the carport is).

Does anyone have any tips on what we should do with the driveway? We would ideally just pay for 2 new driveways and have the driveway running up to the fence, but that is:

a) Expensive (another 10k for the driveway)

b) Might look weird with the driveway ending up against a bush/fence/dead-end?

We've had many varying opinions as to if we should remove the carport or not - some saying it adds value and why would we do that.

But to us, a bigger backyard for our 2 year old is much more important than a car port that we don't use. I wouldn't have thought that would negatively impact the value of our house.

Comments (17)