Houzz Logo Print
mortarart

Formwork anyone can make

James Rowlands
last year
last modified: last year

I am currently developing tooling in order to produce formwork for the construction industry, out of recycled plastic. If you're not aware; formwork is the structure builders use to contain concrete when they pour it, to produce the desired shape. Most formwork is made from timber still, often with laminating, and the timber degrades each time that it's used, as builders cut it to length, drill and bolt in to it. Due to the lamination, the timber usually becomes a waste product, as it's costly to recycle.

Pictured above; and early production formwork brick & a 1:4 scale model of concrete formwork

My project aims to demonstrate how to take plastics that we currently don't have enough recycling solutions for, and to form them into large bricks, using simple to assemble steel moulds.

The tooling in the above picture was assembled from approximately $300 in steel and some heater elements purchased from Ebay

I've currently got a conditional offer of funding to help me produce enough of this formwork to start building demo structures. I'm required by the funding source to document all the tooling and use of the formwork "open source" so that anyone who wants to can replicate what I've done. However, I'm also required to demonstrate that builders would be interested to trial this formwork. If you work in the sector, or know someone who does, who might find utility in this project, please get in touch.

Comments (11)