Houzz Logo Print
natalie_stefanski

Extension plans, feedback/advice sought. Last chance to make changes.

Tash Steffens
7 years ago
We have been planning this extension for several years. Our family has outgrown the existing house. We now have four children between 7 and 11 years, and two of them will likely share a room for a few more years, so bedroom 3 will be a play room for a while.

We have a contract all ready to sign with a builder we like, and the budgeted amount looks like it will be okay. Some changes internally are not supposed to make big changes to the cost, but we've not built anything before. Things are due to commence in a month. All the internal walls, ceilings, bathroom etc are coming out. The house is over fifty years old, in original condition and has no stud walls.

There are several limitations (including budget!). Specifically, the external walls can not be changed (the plan is approved, and we don't have the time to go through that again), and it is an existing house that has a massive tree in both the front and back yards.

My questions really relate to a few specific areas, as we have hashed and rehashed this plan for years...

The toilet at the end of the hallway - I'm not loving it, but we had to move it from in between the laundry and bathroom in order to get some extra width in the kitchen/dining. Can anyone see somewhere it could go so that I can have a blank wall at the end of the hall?

Doors to the deck and backyard- they'll be used a lot. Should we put a slider in instead of double opening? And if we stick with double opening, are those phantom screens tough enough to stand up to my kids opening and closing it a thousand times a day?

We have two fridges (lots of boys!). The larger fridge will go in the kitchen, the smaller (410L?) is planned to go under the stairs facing the back of the house. I plan to put cupboard doors that fold fully back against the wall on the area under the stairs that faces the living room and make that the space for the computer, router, tablet charging etc. Any thoughts? I My to be able to see the screen as I "wander past" when the kids use it. I can't see anywhere else it can go.

At the top of the stairs is a nook (?) that we had intended to put a desk with the computer on, but I realised it wasn't going to work. Now I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to do there. Any suggestions?

I'd love anyone's suggestions on the linen cupboards. If I could put more it somewhere that would be fantastic. We have two shelves at the moment, and sheets and towels stored in people's wardrobes because of that. Not ideal.
I also buy some foods in bulk, and I'm concerned the corner pantry will not always be adequate, so extra space in linen cupboards would help there.

The kitchen has been looked at by several people, and this layout seems to be the most workable. But if anyone has a suggestion about the kitchen/dining/living layout, I'd love to hear it :)

My husband and I have looked at this plan for hours and hours and hours. I'm sure I'm not seeing things that are quite obvious.

Any suggestions will be very gratefully received :)

Comments (27)