Houzz Logo Print
littlethommo2__

Accent chairs fabric colour dilemma

littlethommo2 .
10 months ago
last modified: 10 months ago

Hi everyone, after much indecision I have decided to throw this one out to the Houzz members for input to help me finally choose a fabric colour! I have two vintage Parker-style timber chairs currently being restored and I need to select the fabric for the upholstery.

The main decor colours in my open plan kitchen/dining/living are blues (mainly dark) / tan and off-white with walnut timber dining setting. My floors are natural oak colour. My walls are neutral. The kitchen island bar is navy and I have a small mid-blue bookcase and sideboard as well.

I have narrowed down the fabrics I like to a navy, a textured/vintage brown and an orange-rust colour (all velvets). The frame on the chairs will be mid-brown.

The reason for my indecision is that I want to choose the colour that best suits both the style of the chair and the area they will be positioned (either side of the combustion fire in a well lit position)

While I would love leather upholstery I already have a leather 3 seater sofa, leather seats on the dining chairs and a leather accent chair - plus two dogs who will use these chairs!

I am concerned that:

1. The navy will work, but is it too cliche and Im not sure it does justice to the chair style. Plus I already have a navy velvet accent chair in the lounge

2) The brown will be too heavy and lack impact, especially with the walnut dining setting right next to where the chairs will go

3) The rust-orange will be too much contrast with the surrounding furniture, clash with the brown dining setting and be too much with the blue bookcase behind

I will have accent cushions on these chairs which will either be a light blue, tan or my favourite Liberty Ianthe fabric (which I already have on two cushions and which combines all my decor colours)

I have attached photos of the room from both sides, the chairs which I have photoshopped in my 3 colour options and the fabrics with the accent cushions.

I'd like to know your opinion so I can finally decide! NB I am currently leaning more towards the navy chairs atm

Comments (26)