Houzz Logo Print
eliot_palmer

Sound proofing ceiling before plaster

Eliot Palmer
10 months ago
last modified: 10 months ago

Hi there

We are close to plaster stage for a modest renovation of an apartment of sorts - small bedroom/bath/living area underneath an old house with floorboards throughout (basically replacing new for old).

Im concerned to minimise footfall and general people noise from the main house into this downstairs area. We have already installed pinkbatts between the joists. One challenge is that the height of the apartment is tight i.e. I don’t think we can go for double layer plasterboard.

To add to the one layer plasterboard, so far I’m considering a layer of mass loaded vinyl / MLV across the joists, followed by the plaster. I’ve also looked at green glue, which seems to be promoted mostly for application between plasterboard sheets?

Given the height limitations, wondering about thoughts on MLV or the green glue (or both) as most suitable options? And approach to installation (eg joists, mlv stapled, green glue, plaster)?

We have a very competent builder doing the work but he’s a bit old school and may not have done much soundproofing work, so I’m keen to come to him with a clear idea first.

Budget isn’t set yet - I’m exploring technically feasible options that I can pursue and price (but ideally it wouldn’t add more than $1-2k in materials?). Total ceiling area to treat is about 9x4.5m and I may have to settle for a portion of that.

Comments (6)