Houzz Logo Print
lucy_hoskin

Should we paint our exterior brick or Limewash / Brick Stain?

Lucy Hoskin
9 months ago

Hi all,

Helping my mum with renovating her home currently, she’s had the interior painted through but is now in the process of wanting to paint the exterior of her 1960s style brick home as she doesn’t like the colour of them anymore. The bricks were made in that time with Lime Mortar or Gauge I think? (Please correct me if I’m wrong). I was all on board for her to get it painted but now after doing a little research I’m a little apprehensive.
Because the brick is very old there are quite a few holes where the existing lime mortar used to be and the painters who were going to start painting are not wanting to start until it’s fixed, so it now needs to be filed with cement and sprayed with an acid wash before we even start.
I’ve been researching and heard about Limewashing? Or brick staining? Do they do that here in Australia? And would that be a better suited idea than painting? The paint they would use is called ‘Bergers Dulux low sheen exterior’ paint, it says it protects against mould and fungus but does it?
I’m feeling for my mum as she’s so excited about being able to renovate a bit and I don’t want to put a dampener or upset her I also have to consider budget for her as I’m helping her out also.
Sorry for the long winded post but any advice would help a long way.
Thanks guys! 🙏🏼

Comments (13)