Houzz Logo Print
claphands

French Tapestry

claphands
10 years ago
This room is approx 29.5 feet x 14.5 feet.
I'd love a French Tapestry on the wall behind the gray lounge.
What size would look right?..... I like the really big ones that take up most of the wall. Also I like the Verdure tapestries they are mostly shades of greens. What do you think? Thanks for advise!!

Comments (19)

• Bonnie
    10 years ago
    I don't know squat about design but my gut says something wall sized would be way too massive for the room as it is. Your furniture already is taking up a lot of visual space. Are you going to keep both modern sofas and the vintage one? If that was changed, the wall tapestry might work.
    claphands thanked Bonnie
  • claphands
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Hi,
    Thanks for comment. I'm keeping the 3 lounges.
    I thought because it's a big lounge / dining room I could get away with a big tapestry ... Much cheaper than buying a painting for this size wall.
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    10 years ago
    The curved couch is beautiful. The orange couches also work. There is too much furniture for the space, though.

Adding anything to the wall will not help you until you fix the furniture situation.

I would recommend, prior to adding anything else, you move to another room either:

-the curved couch

or

-both of the orange couches.

Are you willing to do this?
    claphands thanked CDR Design, LLC
  • claphands
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks! Love the photo with the Tapestry. Yes I was thinking about a very large tapestry as a back drop rather than a picture in the middle... We need the furniture in this room for meetings every 3 weeks. I think if I moved the two red lounges out and replace with some arm chairs it would look too sparse, could consider re covering?
  • claphands
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I'll take another angled photo of room tonight to show room is bigger than it looks. Love all the comments THANKS!
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    10 years ago
    Okay.

Can you try this:

-place curved couch in the corner (btwn the wall it is on and the window.
    -place 2 red couches in and L shape across from the curved couch. (So, couch by stairs would stay where it is, but other red couch would have its back to the dining room and be perpendicular to the other couch.

This is just one idea......would have to see more pics of the room to get a better concept.
  • themoxie
    10 years ago
    Oh sorry hotandcold, I didn't read your post properly. Whole wall would be amazing - BOOM!
    claphands thanked themoxie
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    10 years ago
    Before you think about artwork and accessories, you need to arrange your furniture. It is not arranged in the best way.

In addition, the couch needs to be treated as a work of art in itself. It is extremely ornate and, in my opinion, needs to stand on its own. Placing a large piece of fabric behind it makes neither the tapestry nor the couch shine.

The couch needs to be placed where it fits. It is currently struggling fitting its curved self on a straight wall amidst 2 straight couches.

The elements of the room I see are modern. The couch can stay as an eclectic piece, but the 3 heavy couches and then the heavy tapestry?

Looking forward to the picture so we can better assess.
  • claphands
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Here are 2 photos. Thanks for the large tapestry photo love it! (I'm on my iPad adding photos is easy but don't know how to individually answer anyone properly sorry!)
    Tables and lamps sound great!
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    10 years ago
    I am seeing another issue: the one red couch is a huge blockade, once you walk into the room.

What is the tiled area used for? Can we move some furniture in there
  • claphands
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Replacing photo on left (not clear enough)
    The large black door is hidden from view.
  • claphands
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Hi CDR design
    The tile area is the entry and the hall way, we have some green Victorian chairs and a china cabinet along the hallway.
    There is room to walk into lounge room next to red lounge it just looks crowded.
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    10 years ago
    It will not look sparse with less furniture or with furniture moved as I suggested.

The reason the room looks sparse right now is because there are no lamps, no decor, not art. We will fix that, but the furniture has to be placed correctly first. It will never look good with accessories, if the basic layout is bad.

Thanks for the photos.
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    10 years ago
    I understand that physically there is room to get buy, but in my opinion, it is a visual blockade and is not appealing.

It is your place......it is my job to give you input.....your decision in the end.

Would you be willing to try this?

Leave couches where they are, but slide them all the way to the wall where the couch is.
    Take couch and move it toward dining set. Turn it around and have it face the wall.
    So, basically, you would have same set up as now, but couch would sit opposite where it is now and face the wall.

....or can you put curvedcouch in front hall and French chairs in living area?
  • themoxie
    10 years ago
    Hi hotandcold, what else are you planning to do with the space. It is furniture only at the moment, I mean, do you want advice on layout and decoration etc. - or just the tapestry?
    claphands thanked themoxie
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 years ago
    I think you're wanting the ornate sofa to be a focal point of the room. To show it off as people enter the space I'd put it in front of the wall of curtains. The orange couches I'd move into an "L" with one on the wall and the other perpendicular to it with back to the tiled foyer and steps. You can still fill that wall with a tapestry but it won't compete with the ornate sofa.
    claphands thanked decoenthusiaste
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    10 years ago
    2 more options:

1)

-Move curved couch to very far wall (behind dining set) Remove some of the dining chairs.
    -Turn dining table 90 degrees. Couch serves as seating on the backside.
    -Place couches in an L, with one on wall and one along window.
    -Middle area is more open

2)
    - Move curved couch to very far wall (behind dining set)
    -Move dining table more to the center of room, turning it 90 degrees
    --Leave couches where they are, but move toward wall to take up space where curved couch was.
  • claphands
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Hi, Thanks to everyone taking time out to give me great advise! I have moved furniture around the house since I was 5 years old.. I just love trying new looks. The lounge/dining has been moved so many times over 13 years in every possible way in this house. We have just had new twist pile carpet and new paint and was considering a tapestry for the wall behind the sofa. I can shift furniture again if it looks odd once we decide on what size to buy.... I like the large tapestries because it becomes a back drop rather than 1,2 or 3 paintings etc. We have had different looks over the years.... I might re-cover the 2 red lounges next year.