Houzz Logo Print
twoothtimer

Who's Right?

We have a late 70's ranch and the master bath desperately needs a renovation. Everything is original: tiny sunken faux marble tub, pink/teal wall paper, soffits, bad lighting, 2 small closets and carpeting (!). We will be moving in 5-7 years and don't want to spend a lot on it. Right now the bathroom has 2 doors (I hate 2 doors) with vanities and closets on each side of the room with the bathtub, toilet and shower in the middle. My husband thinks we should just change out the tub, paint the vanities and replace the counter tops, remove the wallpaper & paint, replace the carpet with tile. We would also have to re-do the window because it is too low for a regular tub. His design would not improve the functionality of this bathroom and his argument is that the buyer would renovate the bathroom anyway and 2 separate vanities are more appealing than 1 double with bigger closets. My design involves closing off one side to make a large closet and installing a double vanity. Removing 1 of the doors would also give us use of another wall in the master bedroom. I've attached floor plans of the current bathroom layout and my proposed layout. Which one would have the better resale value and best return?

Comments (41)