Houzz Logo Print
buckleup2000

Worst habits of your visitors

Luke Buckle
10 years ago
I have had some friends over recently whose kids totally trashed the place, drawing on our walls. I didn't mind that they left without cleaning up because that was easier than facing more destruction. What is the worst thing people have done when visiting your house?
Emidio's Room · More Info

Comments (82)

• User
    9 years ago
    Hey Sstarr and rredpenn- while you are here.... how about coming to Nashville?
  • PRO
    sstarr93
    9 years ago
    I thought it was Las Vegas! I'm obviously not up to speed on the trip. When are you going??
  • Related Discussions

What's the worst uninvited guest you've ever found in your house?

Q

Comments (133)
    White-tail spider in my track suit pants WHICH I WAS WEARING! I thought it was a lump of lint from the laundry, drew it out, and promptly flung it across the room once I realised... never to be seen again! How it didn't bite me and sat still to be picked up, I don't know - it must have known I wouldn't do it any harm. We lived in lots of country places, too... We were invaded by small black crickets one year, and lady bugs, another year, in your drawers, in your hair, in your pantry, in your undies... everywhere! And then the blue tongue lizard that would go in and out with our dogs via doggie door, and made itself a nest in our laundry... I gave up and left some old towels for it. Had an echidna get up into the wheel well of our car... wild brumbies in our patio... the list goes on. My husband still says that the most unwelcome visitor was his mother... I like her better than he does!
    ...See More

Where do you hide your laundry basket?

Q

Comments (29)
    In a previous post on this discussion forum I described my laundry bin...a 30L cardboard barrel which I lined with an old shower curtain and decorated still reigns supreme on the lid of my top loder, Nobody knows what it is and its a never ending source of admiration from an artistic angle. Lacking floor space the only option was to sit it up there or out on the veranda.It works as a cat toy too. It has, however, acquired some vents in the lid since some of my art shirts are often a bit oily and I learnt that some oils tend to self combist in enclosed spaces and can be the cause of house fires. Sometimes hiding things in plain sight is a good option. With Tribbletrouble45142k7Trek...Your baskets sound pretty...why hide such nice functional souvenits!
    ...See More

What's the worst thing a guest has done in your home?

Q

Comments (86)
    my MIL is one one those that won't fetch anything for herself ..she expects you to get up when she gets up 5-6am and fetch her breakfast..and it's no good offering would you like some toast as she'd be like oh no I'm fine.. you need to cook breakfast and plop it in front of her.. she wouldn't let me wash her clothes so showed her how to use the machine..she hand washes them and pop them on the line right on top of my rack of dried clothes..she took my clothes down so she had room to hang hers out..and of course her dripped on mine ..?? and if she dries the dishes she must do it intentionally to annoy me as it takes me ages to find bits and pieces to my rice cooker..?? amongst other things that happened .. my MIL is hated by all of his family..because she's the second wife..his biological mum is the best MIL you can have she's kind and loving not like this one..calculating ..stabs you behind your back and the list goes on.. my husband must takes after his mum..he's kind and caring.. thank goodness she's overseas now..only lose him to get twice a year for 10 days each..
    ...See More

AARGH! Is there anything worse than dog poop walked into your carpet?

Q

Comments (11)
    I'd stay away from putting any kind of detergent on it - it might look like it's cleaned it, but then the detergent sits in the underlay and continues to attract dirt as people subsequently walk over it. I know because my sister once had a bottle of shampoo burst in her bag while sitting on the carpet - the professional carpet cleaner said detergents were the worst. I'd get a professional in.
    ...See More
  • rredpenn
    9 years ago
    a bonnet, silly! I wish I could, but I have work and a garottage to get built. It should be an annual event, tho...and if it's central USA (I vote KC/ST L/Chicago) I will!
  • PRO
    sstarr93
    9 years ago
    I have a barn under construction, but who cares? And I'm not letting any visitors near it (to stay on topic here)..
  • Heather Dick
    9 years ago
    Wow, some of these comments are unbelievable! I just want to know, what do you do when those things happen? Do you tell them something? Like the towel thing, that is just wrong. Who does that?!? That's just...wow. That kind of stuff goes beyond a lack of good manners and common courtesy, that is just uncivilized.
  • User
    9 years ago
    If my "friends", or their children did the things I've read here, they wouldn't be my friends any longer, I don't need friends that badly.
  • Heather Dick
    9 years ago
    Bluenan - I could not agree with you more. Friends would NEVER disrespect me or my home in such a manner. These things are just unbelievable. More headache than it is worth!
  • User
    9 years ago
    heather & bluenan, ita, and offending parties were definitely not invited back.
  • User
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    Hey bluenan- I could use a shot gun partner driving to Nashville????
    I will be on my best behavior;))
  • User
    9 years ago
    Bluenan- If you mean me?? go to my profile. Go to my Bonnets and leave me a private comment;)
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    9 years ago
    Are you kidding me. I would never allow these people in my home, till they taught their kids respect for others peoples things.
  • S K-K
    9 years ago
    A visiting dog urinated and pooped behind a chair in the living room!
  • User
    9 years ago
    I can forgive a dog lol;)
  • larkspurproject
    9 years ago
    As newlyweds in our first home we had our "friends" over for a holiday gathering. One of the men re-enacted how his dog loved to scoot on the carpeting. Dropped drawers and scooted. Yep, left a mark. Not even kidding. Party ended early and that guy never saw the inside of that, or any of our subsequent homes...
  • User
    9 years ago
    Omg, these stories just keep getting better.
  • Marci
    9 years ago
    There was no actual damage involved, but when a friend and their young and often ill-behaved child visited, said child looked at my new Room & Board couch and chair, looked me square in the face and said "I'm allowed to jump on the furniture in MY house."

"Well, young hellion," I said, "WE DON'T DO THAT IN THIS HOUSE."

Young hellion continued to hold my glare for a minute, and then decided it was not worth their time to argue with me and looked elsewhere for diversion.

Of course, the next day mom texted me that the hellion had a 104 degree fever. I came down with it two days later and spent nearly a week in bed.
  • PRO
    sstarr93
    9 years ago
    marci4, that reminds me of several occasions with pampered darlings of besotted moms.... loudmouthed self-important kiddies who dominated not only the conversation but the whole house.... argh..
    Then some of the moms. Back in the Pleistocene era, I had a LaLeche league meeting at my house (got talked into this)... the Leader came roaring in with her four kids, who immediately started exploring every corner of my house on both floors. She, meanwhile, walked over to my brand new, rather delicate Chinese coffee table, and Sat on it. It's never been the same. :-(
  • Claudianne Young
    9 years ago
    My stepdaughter conned my mother into giving her our house key while we were away on vacation. Told her she needed her bathing suit she left at our house. She and whomever she had over ate every bit of food we had in the house. Left the trash in the trash can and dirty dishes, found empty beer bottles in the front yard, a comb in one of the beds. They apparently had a very good time. When she was younger she had a group over while we were there. I caught them smoking and using our couch cushions to sled down the basement stairs on.
  • Robbi
    9 years ago
    I don't have anything to compare with these horror stories, but one of my husband's friends came to stay with his family and kept complaining about things, and not in a nice way, for example instead of saying "the room was a little warm last night do you happen to have a fan?", he said the room "hot as hell", the pillows were "hard as rocks", and on and on. Of course, the reason the room was too warm was because he had his wife and three kids sharing it with him and the pillows were hard because we didn't have five guest pillows and had borrowed some from our neighbors (he knew we only had one guest room when he invited himself - so what was he expecting - a suite at the Hilton?). Whine whine whine...I told my husband - never again!
  • Claisabel I
    9 years ago
    Smoking inside the house, knowing that our house is a smoke-free environment.
  • This is... my last project... Maybe.
    9 years ago
    OMG. OMG. I can in no way top some of the stuff written. I can however get something off my chest. My sister showed up with her dog at my house, without advance notice that she was bringing him. She continues to always bring her dog to whatever place she stays, even when with her ill with cancer mother in law's place, because she just can't leave him in someone else's care. I have dogs and a cat that were quite surprised to have their territory invaded. Then she walked in with a plastic bag of dog food cans and DROPPED them on our newish wood huge dining room table and chipped the finish. I was heartbroken because it was my first big purchase after we got married. The dog then peed on our bed and pillows, because he is alpha, she said. She continues to bring a dog. Until we moved I thought of my sister every time I dusted or used that table because I never refinished the damage. And she seemed to never realize her rudeness and audacity.
    When I was younger a visiting brother/guest at some friends' house left a cigarette burning when they went out for the evening. It burned down their house. I guess I really can't complain but I got the dog thing off my chest, finally!
    Luke Buckle thanked This is... my last project... Maybe.
  • shars55
    9 years ago
    Omg!! These stories are horrible. I'm not nearly as nice as you people. If someone showed up at my house with their pet, I wouldn't let them inside. Sorry, but I have a kitty and I'm not going to do that to her. It's just plain RUDE!!! I never invite anyone with kids I don't know really well, either, because so many parents these days don't know how to be parents and their kids are demon spawns. If someone wiped their ass on my towel, I would have made him take it with him, and he wouldn't be invited back. EVER!!
  • jen046
    9 years ago
    My mom stayed a couple of nights with us and one night walked into our bedroom without knocking. Boy was she embarrassed! :)
  • User
    9 years ago
    Slept in my bed, in the middle of the day while I was out. And by "slept" I don't mean literally slept.
  • kat123
    9 years ago
    Horrors!!! I don't appreciate guests, be they family or friends to disrespect me by taking advantage of my home. As parents, they are expected to restrain and control their children. I will not be restrained to tell them outright to leave the premises, non negotiable. I spend days beautifying my place to seem welcoming for them, and not an inn or a hotel with housekeeping to follow after their mess, thus, guests that do not appreciate my effort to be a gracious host will be told they are not welcome to stay and will never be welcome again! What I read here is simply terrible and sad!!
  • marylise
    9 years ago
    A guest left their adult poopy diaper in my guest bathroom!
  • Snaggy
    9 years ago
    This is why I have a one bed house !!
  • Alex De Donato
    9 years ago
    Life is a comedy of errors heee..
  • baysig
    9 years ago
    Think we are soul mate Ik_designs!!! Or twins separated at birth! Lazy parents are selfish parents. Kids not happy, teachers not happy, parents drop the ball and others are supposed to cop it. Not me.......I have 2 kids and 6 grandchildren - from 18 down to 4. Respect, commitment and love....that's what's needed. Life's too short to be used by self-centred 'friends' or relatives.
  • H M
    9 years ago
    When my children were in primary school a friend of theirs snooped in the garage, discovered the hidden Christmas gift ( a basketball hoop) and told them what they were getting for Christmas. My daughter replied "I didn't want to know that" so at least she got the message. Can't compare with the other horror stories, but it was a bit sad at the time.
  • Jeannie
    9 years ago
    My partner had 'friends' over for a bonding and drinking party. One of the men pee'd all over the toilet floor. I got a mop and bucket and told him "you did this, now clean it up". He laughed, but when he saw I was serious he did it - to much laughter from the other guys!
    BTW, he was never invited to any further parties.
  • Jenny
    9 years ago
    Ik_designs , Did they end up eating their dinner ? I need closure. :)
  • Luke Buckle
    Original Author
    9 years ago

What shocking and hilarious stories you guys all posted. This post is an all-time funniest.

• karenleonn
    9 years ago
    Heather you are absolutely right! My friends would never disrespect my home or belongings or privacy for that matter- but family now that's a different story! Some years ago my niece who lives in UK came over for a visit as she was doing all South East Asia as a gap year experience. She turned up with 2 no hoper friends who all decided they would dye their hair!!! I had reddish brown stains in the bath on the vanity all over the once white towels not to mention the pillow cases and bedding. Luckily for them they had to be up very early to catch a flight and I did not see it til after they left. No they won't be back!!!
  • Sharon
    8 years ago

the longer I live the more it seems to me that there are two kinds of people in the world - those who try to be kind and considerate and those who are so self-centred they don't give a crap about anyone else. Thank goodness I'm one of the former - I am always on my very best behaviour when I visit and make damn sure my kids are too! Big hug to all of you who have suffered from b@stardy guests

• User
    8 years ago

Grrrrr... this dilemma popped up and reminded me of the big oil stain that a visitor left on my newly poured driveway. The gall of people.

• Cheryl S.
    8 years ago
    Had a family of four that stayed for three weeks in our small house in Paris. Didn't help with any chores - think meals, dishes, laundry, daily marketing to feed 8 squeezed in between tour guiding. They left piles of daily tour debris all over the table - every meal they had to be reminded to clear the table of maps, cameras, brochures, coats, packs, purses, etc. Then expected catering and babysitting services while touring. Didn't offer to pay for any gas, parking, groceries, and constantly left bedroom electric heaters on high, leaving behind a massive electrical bill because they couldn't understand that central heat is not the norm in Europe. This was a time in our life when we could not afford to have every overseas family's "once in a lifetime trip to Paris" cost us around $2,000. But the best was not informing us that the 11 year old was a bed wetter. Easy solution IF YOU KNOW to put a plastic shower curtain between the sheet and brand new mattress but no one told us. I discovered it when I found a full diaper shoved into the toilet on Christmas Eve. No apologies, no offers to deal with the damaged mattress which had absorbed three weeks of leaky diapers, and no acknowledgement of the toilet disaster. There is a massive difference between good and bad guests and after 5 month stretch with only two weeks without guests from North America we well know the difference!!! Sometimes even being very clear about expectations and laying "good guest ground rules" it just is not compatible. Then there are the wonderful guests who treat you to a meal, pitch in for meal prep making it fun, unload the dishwasher and pop in a load of laundry so you have time to relax a bit and really enjoy the visit with them.
  • User
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

It would not have taken but a few days of that inexcusable and entitled behavior to plant a foot firmly in their derrieres as I yelled au revoir!

• PRO
    Cascio Associates - Site Planning - Landscape Arch
    8 years ago

So just frisk them at the door and confiscate all chalk and crayons, and fire up the TV and tablets.

As quiet is what you seek from visiting monsters (definition of other people's angels).

• Italia
    8 years ago

Isn't it funny - how friends/family can behave badly in your home, yet strangers can be great visitors. I host couchsurfers from all over the world and some of them have been awesome - cooking meals, cleaning, setting up my tv etc...almost embarrassed to say probably the 'worst' example was of one only half unsetting the table after I cooked dinner....hardly anything to write home about after reading everyone elses!

• Vy
    8 years ago

hubby's bestie took his 2 years old kid over for a visit the kid ran riot ate with his fingers and then smeared oily food all over my sofa cushions throw rug floors worse thing was his dad never told him off..hubby got annoyed so smacked his fingers lol

after they left I had to strip all our cushions throw rugs to wash wiped my sofa and floors..

at least it wasn't a drinking party ..next morning found my toilet with red stain everywhere on floor..on wall..someone vomited red wine all over the WC reminds me to never serve wine ..beer is easier to clean lol

• Vy
    8 years ago

then I've had hubby's family over one New Year for near a week..our beach house (3bedrooms) had 27 people no joke lol I had teens in a tent on our deck as well as inflatables lining the retreat..our bedroom..sofa ends..one good thing his sisters and nieces all prepare meals so I didn't have to do any cooking then when they left they made sure they clean my bathrooms kitchen mop my floors all I had to do was the laundry all the beddings..the thing is they are a rowdy crowd..lol

expecting them again this Easter..lol

• Vy
    8 years ago

Cheryl S..you must be a saint would have kicked them out after 2 days giving them a chance to redeem themselves after one day lol

• Vy
    8 years ago

my mother in law stayed for two weeks after one week I moved out leaving hubby and her to look after our three kids lol ..my dad didn't speak to me for a few weeks ..lost of face...I even wrote a piece about her..she's too weak to travel anymore so he goes back 1-2 a year to visit..

http://dewdrops12diary.blogspot.com.au/2012/11/the-angels-returning.html?showComment=1455344845148&m=1

• Janina
    7 years ago

I'm lucky, nobody dares mess with my place the one that do depart immediately.... Friends dont wreck you place they treat it with respect and if they cant they you dont need them in your life.....

Sounds hard but it work, People know the guidelines in my house/yard, I respect their places and if they cant respect mine, dont bother coming...

Probably the worst I ever had was a nephew who was bossing the younger children and not letting them have a turn on the trampoline, woke me up I was sick in bed and I got out of bed when they woke me up and heard the language, the rest of the family were outside my bedroom.

Nephew didnt know what hit him verbally, [did apologise later] and went running to mum, who told him I was the boss as it was my house and she wasnt there so couldnt comment.

Didnt like me for 3 days until he wanted to come up again to ride the dirt bikes around the paddock, Was an instant when parents, grandparents etc, dropped their guard and no one was supervising....... I was one pissed off person, being woken up, bad enough having to be so ill on birthday, everyone else celebrating and kids acting up.... But we are still best friends and nothing else has happened before or after.

• mopobats
    7 years ago

Sister, her husband and 4 children sat at dinner table and served themselves ALL of the food in dishes that had enough to feed 10 people and didn't leave anything for the 4 of us waiting for them finish their dishing up. They ate well and offered no apologies that night. Needless to say, future meals were served up by us and given to them so that all of us could eat too. Aaaah, family.

• susannad
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I've had a few bad experiences, such as a close relative staying for months and barely lifting a finger with housekeeping, then making constantly sarcastic comments until one day I just lost it completely and yelled at him. He was really surprised, thought his comments had just been 'light banter'. He moved out the next day - had just been too settled and lazy to do so before.

And friends with a couple of spoiled little boys let them crayon on our paintwork (or didn't notice - ie couldn't be bothered supervising). They said they were happy to be staying with us because their relatives' house was so nice they they were worried about spoiling it! What an insult :(.

• PRO
    elelaurels01
    3 years ago

Would you like to purchase the best quality Invisible Grille Singapore? If so, then you should reach the Elelaurels. It’s a world driving organization that offers the quality Invisible Grille to respected clients. You can contact us anytime to get a solution to any problem regarding the company products; we will always be at your service.