Houzz Logo Print
mary_justin

Would a red kitchen island be too much?

Mary Grant Justin
11 years ago
Hi, I'm going to be changing the cabinets to a white with light chocolate glaze. I'm adding a new island and was considering going with red cabinets. Would that be too much? Changing door to match white cabinets and adding stainless steel range with cabinet hood. Looking for ideas from all of you. Thanks!!

Comments (67)

• Mary Grant Justin
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thank you to All of you. I'm so happy I found this site with such generous and knowledgeable people. What a wonderful thing. :-)
  • pjcham
    11 years ago
    I'm in agreement with most. I would get rid of the rug & not get another. Have you considered painting your table and chairs? Replace the valance that is there with grommet valances hung on a chunky black rod - simple or no pattern. Take everything off the walls including the border. Take your time deciding what if any of it to put back up. I was so distracted by the walls that I had to make myself look at the rest of the kitchen. I would replace the light fixture with a more modern black wrought iron. Warm up the wall color with a deeper hue.
  • Related Discussions

Would this dining table go with our floor or is it too much wood?

Q

Comments (13)
    You will definitely need a rug but more importantly you need to consider your other furniture in the space and the style you are going for. This is a formal table do you live a formal lifestyle? There are only four chairs, is this enough for your needs as this table does not really lend itself to an eclectic range of chairs that less formal timber tables offer. I am a great believer in not rushing choices with a new home - the right pieces will reveal themselves once you figure out how you will live in the space. All the best with your decisions and enjoy your new home.
    ...See More

Kitchen table size proportional too room......too small?

Q

Comments (13)
    Hi Northstar Lovely table you have chosen Remember there needs to be at least 1m for chairs to be moved out from the table Also food placed in the centre has to be reachable!! so don't go too wide If you think the table is out of proportion, a rug underneath can give the illusion you want enjoy - will you have the table for Christmas?
    ...See More

Help with kitchen layout...kitchen too darn BIG!

Q

Comments (11)
    Thanks everyone - your comments and diagrams have given me plenty of ideas I hadn't considered. Perhaps shifting the wall is a little drastic! I'm now thinking of going a long U shape like this. I'll add a few upper cabinets on the left side too for the most frequently used stuff from the pantry (as the pantry is still a distance from the stove/oven). The fridge as you can see is now right amongst the action. We also have a chest freezer hiding out in the laundry which I can move into the old fridge space...alternatively I might convert it to a computer workstation as suggested. I'm leaning towards a peninsula rather than an island, just because I feel like it will give me a slightly more efficient/seamless work space, and we don't expect seating at at the island/peninsula will get used much given how close the dining table is. Any thoughts on this revised layout?
    ...See More

too much black? (kitchen reno)

Q

Comments (22)
    I realise that it only matters if you like it , there are some features I like , but some that i wouldn't want -- just shows we are all different ! The black/charcoal is the right tone , but I am inclined to think there is still too much , although it is 'livable' . Just me , but I guess the biggest 'clash' is the lighter timber . The timber you used is nice in itself , but IMO it doesn't fit in with the floor , and the floor itself I dislike , because of the 2 different directions of the timber ( in fact , it even looks like the 2 floor timbers are different widths , but hard to tell ) but also it is obviously different tones . just my opinion , you either match or you go for contrast -- this does neither . It is similar timber , laid in opposite directions , with the join halfway across the kitchen just to really highlight all the differences . My 'standard' thing too is colour , and that may come via the accessories , and to say it looks bare is unfair -- I'd like to see it when it is accessorised .
    ...See More
  • mrstinylady
    11 years ago
    What do you think about a chalkboard coating on that door? It's BLACK!
  • User
    11 years ago
    My first thought was "Wow! This is one busy kitchen/dining area!" Red might be too much for your island but then again, maybe if you removed a lot of your accessories and wall hangings, it might be OK. Before you choose your paint, remove things to see how the room would look with less. Then like others have said, I would move that table & chairs more into the center of the room. It always bothers me to see a chandelier not hanging directly over the table.

Before I'd spend any money on paint, etc. I would definitely take down everything you've got up on walls and accessories on counter tops, hutch, etc. and remove the rug. (This only costs your time.) Cull out what you don't realllllllly love, then put back only a few things. I think you'd be amazed at how little red you've actually got in the room ;-) I'm not saying you have to throw away anything. Just rotate out favorites from time to time. And remember to leave some 'visual white space' in your room.

Your light fixture was mentioned by another reader. Why replace it? Just take it down and spray paint it if you like it. Much less expensive. I too would remove the wallpaper border and the valances. Add your color in with well chosen, simplified accessories and you'll get a whole new look for less.
  • PRO
    Laurie E. Friedman, AIA Architect, LEED AP
    11 years ago
    I understand that you want to visually connect the existing red furniture pieces with an element in the kitchen ; however, like others have suggested, a red island might be a little too much. Here's what I suggest: go with the same color/stain that you are using on the perimeter cabinets; find a countertop finish like quartz (Silestone, Caesarstone, etc.) that has flecks of red colored glass in it; and find a red glass pendant light or two to hang above the island. Good luck!
  • PRO
    Architect Andrew Morrall
    11 years ago
    Hi Mary,

Here's a suggestion, how about just a splash of red?

http://www.houzz.com/projects/19929/3--San-Francisco-Sunset-Remodel
  • PRO
    Architect Andrew Morrall
    11 years ago
    Hi Mary,

Here's a suggestion, how about just a splash of red?

http://www.houzz.com/projects/19929/3--San-Francisco-Sunset-Remodel
  • Mary Grant Justin
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Hummm Chalkboard coating for the door.... My 100 pound Golden Retriever would love that! I could see the nose marks now. LOL I've been culling some of my things for the past couple of weeks. It tough to get rid of things but now I'm into less is more. Don't want to spend my time dusting (not that I do now). Keep the ideas coming and I'm definitely learning a lot! I'm pretty sure we decided to keep the cabinet and island color the same. Looking at a black walnut top for the island and will be picking out granite for the counter tops and flooring hopefully tomorrow. Looking at back splash material too. Anyone know the best place for custom butcher block islands?
  • Mary Grant Justin
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Like the idea of painting the existing chandelier. Maybe change out the lampshades too.
  • elcieg
    11 years ago
    South Austin Bungalow · More Info

Paint the beaded board in your hutch red. Paint your cabinets BM Monroe Bisque. Remove the rug. Move the table under the chandelier and lower it. Bring out another pressed back chair. No seat cushions. Island black. Hardware black. Chandelier black. If you are really up for it, paint the walls BM Monterey white and keep the walls unadorned. the monroe bisque and the monterey will pull up the color from your floors.
  • mrstinylady
    11 years ago
    Have you considered leaving the table always open (leaf is folded, right?) and changing out the chairs to cane rush and painting them in at least two different colors? Maybe rattan or other chairs?
  • mrstinylady
    11 years ago
    Also, why not add a wine cooling compartment built in to the island?
  • Mary Grant Justin
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    We don't really use the table except to lay things on for the most part. So that's why I have it pushed against the wall. But maybe I can turn it the other way so it's more centered under the light and drop the other leaf. Not sure yet. Occasionally when entertaining but we do that outside usually as we are very lucky here in Southern California weather wise. rstinylady my husband drinks boxed wine. LOL so don't really have a need for wine cooling compartment. Got the Fridge for that. :-)
  • Natalie
    11 years ago
    KHAKI/OLIVE GREEN ISLAND... Simple rug and plants in terra-cotta clay pots or simple pottery for dining table... Last pic is color palette. CheerS! [houzz=
    woodlawn residence · More Info
    ][houzz=
    Jute Dot Rug · More Info
    ]
    [houzz=
    Breakfast Nook · More Info
    ][houzz=
    Kim Nichols · More Info
    ]
  • Natalie
    11 years ago
    OH-forgot to mention-I like the red door. :)
  • Mary Grant Justin
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Natalie, I really like these. :-) I'm in the process of taking things down off the walls now....
  • mrstinylady
    11 years ago
    Mary Justin . . . I saw that wine rack next to the red hutch and thought about the installation of a cooler, that's all.

The only thing I want to do, really, is remove that tiny island and replace it with a big one in wood or color or color with wood counter top and bring it into the room a bit more (more space in cooking area) under the wall arch/supports. I would consider painting the wall to the ceiling above the island after all is done. Then put in some great bar stools at this side of the island. Don't know what the rest of this room looks like or how big it is, etc., but I would re-purpose that little island against the window and put seasonal objects or an herb garden there or something (a decorative spot).
  • PRO
    Paradise Restored Landscaping & Exterior Design
    11 years ago
    Mary Justin - read through this discussion and good for you in your new choices and in pulling some of the 'stuff' outta the room and off the wall - some of us have a hard tome being objective over the years as we bring more and more 'goodies' home and add 'em here and there and become attached. If we stop to look long and hard at what we've collected - we could easily downsize and make our homes more visually appealing. I think we also have nesting times when we need to change our spaces and recreate harmony with our favorite things - congrats on doing just that! Look forward to your after photo!
    PS - like the red door too!
  • Darla
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    This kitchen pic seems to be your style. I would get rid of the rug and replace it with a solid color, perhaps black and then with your other red colored wood, I think it would look amazing like the one in this picture. Maybe you could replace your window valances to a similar idea. Also, they have black/dark hardware which would also make your room look nice. Just a suggestion.
  • greenthumb2
    11 years ago
    remove the chair cushions and replace with warm dark color (solid)....
    then take a look before removing the rug. Also, if you want red on your island - color block it (drawer fronts for example). You may consider a new kind of valance and carry that same color (warm) throughout in other areas such as the cushions. Then, your rug won't look so busy.
    PS. Any dark color can anchor a room, and be luxurious; navy, coffee, moss green, etc.
  • Mary Grant Justin
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Paradise you are very correct. It's very difficult for me to go through things I have aquired over the past 30 years. I get real attached but now it's a time in my life for change and simplicity. So we will see how it all comes together. I'm grateful for all the help and advice I've received. Can't believe how different it's starting to look with just removing all the things from the walls. I have a contractor coming in on Monday to demo the cabinets and start the kitchen remodel. Still will keep my red hutch though. :-). The big thing is what to have the kitchen island look like. Either cabinets same color as rest of cabinets which will be a creamy white with a chocolate glaze. Granite on the counters and walnut butcher block top on the island. Or as greenthumb and others have suggested, going with a coffee color cabinetry on the island with the same granite that we will have on the other counters. A lot to decide. Then slowly adding a few of the items I've taken down.
  • Mary Grant Justin
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Oh, Also changing out floor to a travertine with a Versailles pattern.
  • greenthumb2
    11 years ago
    Hi. My friend is Dutch but loves French Country. She is excellent for ideas, and her favorite magazine is: Maison-deco.com Anyway, her house always is welcoming and changing. She mixes Pottery Barn, french country, off whites, etc. Makes statements in her home. Check out the site for some ideas before spending. $$ enjoy and thanks for posting.
  • Nancy
    11 years ago
    please get rid of the rug. it just doesn't fit the decor, even as it is. Love the idea of keeping cabinets white with red pendant lights over the island. Be careful of distressed finishes. Even thought I love them and used them on my cabinets. My caution is with your decor, it could easily end up with too much going on. As far as the red cabinets above, and I agree, it's a great kitchen, but note how much glass is used to break up the red. If you are totally, all the time, neat as a pin, glass is fine. However everyday life can mess up the best laid plans
  • PRO
    Granite Transformations
    11 years ago
    Hi Mary,

It seems that you love red :)

I'd agree with the others above, if you're keeping all the other red that you're currently using than a red island might be too much. I like the white cabinets with chocolate glaze idea. What about going with a dark chocolate or java glaze island instead? That would certainly fit the color scheme and work to give the kitchen a warmer and rich feel.

Something like the picture below would possibly fit.

Thanks for sharing and good luck!
  • Mary Grant Justin
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Carpet get rolled up today. Like the dark chocolate island. How would that be with the red hutch that will be off to the right of it on the wall? Or would it be better to stay with same creamy white on the island and go with walnut butcher block?
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Mary Justin - so glad you are going for change and simplicity - understand about red hutch - I have an bookcase that my mother refinished in gold w/antique black many a year ago - I could never part with it! Excited for your Monday start (photos, photos, photos) - The photo above shows the chocolate island with different counter top but scroll thru many in houzz photos - type in 'kitchen cabinets with different colored islands' and check them out - I know its hard to decide . . . but the more you see of 'em the more comfortable you will be in making your choice - Enjoy!
  • PRO
    User
    11 years ago
    Maybe my decorating taste is more conservative, but I believe less is more when it comes to a bold color like red. Start small, because you can always add more red; it's more difficult to take it away. Plus, with the warm tones from the floor, I think red could get overwhelming quickly. There's so much potential with this room, though! Can't wait to see the after pics!
  • mrstinylady
    11 years ago
    Well, I LOVE red and can't have enough! But a chocolate island and red sound yummy to me. Java-colored walls and Latte-and-black pictures ought to go a long way to eternal happiness. Or is it external happiness? Either way, can't wait to see your photos!
  • Mary Grant Justin
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    So just met with designer/contractor. He said although the chocolate island is beautiful, he felt that our kitchen was too small to carry it. He suggested going with the same color as cabinets and actually using the same granite that we will have on counters and putting it on the island. DH loved the center of one of the granite pieces so he is leaning towards this as well. I'm still a wood fan but they both thought for the long haul the granite would hold up a lot longer then a butcher block..... Boy this is not easy and I have a whole new respect and appreciation for those of you who do this for a living.
  • Darla
    11 years ago
    I love my granite. No fears when setting a hot item on it and it is low maintenance. I recommend cleaning it with Method - Daily Granite. Congrats.
  • Mary Grant Justin
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Home Diva. Thank you for the information. It helps a lot. Where would I buy Method - Daily Granite?
  • closetdecorator
    11 years ago
    What about a caramel colored island? Red would be too much. I would also add a seagrass or sisal rug under the table to pull in the caramel color as well. Would warm it up beautifully. Good luck!
  • victorianbungalowranch
    11 years ago
    Butcher block is also cheaper and lighter than granite and if you love it, it can bring a nice mellow tone to the kitchen. You probably can replace it twice for what stone will cost, and IKEA has really reasonably priced pieces that can be cut and shaped as you like. As far as color goes, I think the softer colors of green, yellow, natural wood or carmel would all be OK.

A bigger version of the movable island you have might be a nice solution and you won't feel so burdened by the decision. Gives you a bit more flexibility, painting is not as big of a deal, and easy to move or change, and visually less heavy. Installing a prep sink and what not really ties you down and can get expensive.
  • PRO
    Staged for Perfection
    11 years ago
    I have done a kitchen in the past with red lower cabinets and yellow uppers. It was pretty fabulous. If you go with red cabinets, just change out the rest of the reds (rugs and cabinet in the dining area) as it might be too much.
  • Mary Grant Justin
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    OK, So demo starting today. We picked out the granite - Sienna Bourdeaux which we will use on both the counter tops and island. Love all the Bourdeaux colors! We decided to use some of the advice here and go with a darker island stain. In brown/chocolate tones. Cabinets will be creamy white with a glazing on them. Waiting to look at the sample they are working up. I'm attaching the before photo as well as the color granite. I will also attach the design work up so you all can take a look. :-) Exciting times!!!!!
  • Mary Grant Justin
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Here is the flooring we will be doing. Tumbled travertine in a versailles pattern. Also the layout of the kitchen.
  • Mary Grant Justin
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    The hood will look different then this. (there's a photo here on Houzz but I'm not sure how to attach it to this) Also the microwave is a drawer type.
  • Mary Grant Justin
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I have to laugh as now that everything is removed and I look at the old photos, You guys were so right. This was one busy kitchen....
  • olldcan
    11 years ago
    HI Mary,
    I'd seriously not consider the 2 upper cabinets on either side of the sink. You won't need the storage, there too high and just look like bumps sticking out of the wall. If your replacing windows you could take advantage of the space freed up.

Love your granite and choices so far ;)
  • Mary Grant Justin
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thank you Olldcan! I will run your suggestion by my husband tonight. Others have said the same thing. We asked the contractor if we could recess them into the wall as we did that in our master bath and they came out great. Only stick out about 4 inches. But he said since it was an outside wall that they really couldn't do that. But if we can get away without having them there completely that would be even better. :-)
  • Mary Grant Justin
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Would you suggest leaving the space between the windows or making that window larger?
  • mrstinylady
    11 years ago
    Yum! The countertop is sooooooo pretty. In your Ideabook pictures, you have cabinets that show glass fronts, etc. Those would really highlight this room. Windows look beautiful to me!
    How about a sitting area across from the red hutch, since you aren't going by way of dining.
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Thumbs up for choices and if you feel like you could lose those two cabinets - DO IT!
  • PRO
    Californo
    11 years ago
    Too much Red.
  • olldcan
    11 years ago
    Hey Mary, If funds permit I'd go for a larger window, in this case, size matters :). If funds don't permit at this time, I still wouldn't go for the bumps. I'd just leave the wall plain. NORMALLY, I'd suggest a few glass shelves BUT since you've come so far, I don't want to be the catalyst that heads you straight back down the road you came from. Who know's, maybe you'll have a nice rod above the sink window and curtains pulled clear on either side of that window or shutters. In which case you'll need the wall space.
  • Dawn
    11 years ago
    Since you are changing the door to match the cabinets then I think the red island would be great. If you are keeping the red door then it might be too much.
  • Dawn
    11 years ago
    Since you are changing the door to match the cabinets then I think the red island would be great. If you are keeping the red door then it might be too much.
  • Mary Grant Justin
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thank you dgutsch and all for your input. We decided not to go with a red island as most of you suggested and instead will have a chocolate brown/mocha island with the Sienna Bordeaux Granite. Not sure what will do with the door when we replace it. Options are paint the same color as cabinets, the same brown as island or red as before.
  • Phyllis Fox
    9 years ago
    Just red entire article while searching for ideas for my sisters plan for a kitchen with red island and or red stove. So sad when the finished kitchen in its entirety hasn't been posted but what a wealth of ideas and thank all of you for the information.