Houzz Logo Print
ensimpson

Need advice for updating awful, dated faux federation!

ensimpson
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Hi! My husband and I have been slowly renovating our house over the past couple of years. It was built in the late 90s, but hasn't aged well. I'd really appreciate some advice on how to improve the facade - in particular how to update the incredibly dated faux federation (?) style roof features.

I've included two photos - one of the original facade, and one of the current facade, which includes some changes that we made late last year (the lighting isn't fantastic, the 'now' isn't quite as dark as it appears). You can see that we had the finials and trim painted dark grey, with the background white. This has unfortunately brought more attention to the area, so I'm very keen to find other options to minimise this area. It seems obvious to remove the finials but beyond that, I'm at a loss!

With regard to the before and now, we also had the guttering and garage door electrostatically painted a dark grey (had been a reddish brown and cream). We had the aluminium windows painted white (had been a yellowish cream), as well as the eaves and fascia, and the front door and surround. We may eventually render the front a grey to match the new guttering/garage colour, if that option hasn't become too dated in itself.

Thanks very much for any suggestions or guidance you can share with me!

Comments (30)