Houzz Logo Print
mitchell_parker

What are some alternatives to the traditional refrigerator?

Mitchell Parker
8 years ago

We've been using the standard upright refrigerator concept for decades now. But some companies are starting to make pull-out drawers like the ones shown here. Recently a Dutch designer created an underground refrigerator room that keeps food cold without electricity. In Denmark, my extended family keeps beer and food outside on the patio during the winter.

What are some innovative ways you've seen to keep food cold?

Hollywood Kitchen · More Info

Comments (116)

• Craig Merrow
    8 years ago

I was a bit surprised to find that many of the drawer refrigerators I looked into use quite a bit more energy than a standard upright...something important to me as my new house is going to be off the grid.

• 475 House
    8 years ago

Bormioli Rocco makes square carafes in a variety of sizes with hermetic seals to help take better advantage of refrigerator space

• Related Discussions

Alternatives to matching bricks.

Q

Comments (4)
    Bagging and paint, or just paint may be your only option. It could be partly rendered and painted, eg. Just render that side of house, etc.. Can you post a picture of where the addition is going? We can then get a look at current bricks, etc.. Most of us specify to match existing and leave it for the builder, client and bricky to sort out due to the numerous options available. Some brickies have contacts that can get the bricks through second hand places but it depends on era of the house, mortar used, etc.. If your budget is tight using bricks may not be the better option. Cladding may have been cheaper but it is still preferable to match existing.....
    ...See More

What did you see first in this kitchen?

Q

Comments (10)
    i noticed the chairs for the dark colour, but also that7 they can actually be used at the island bench as there is enough space to sit properly unlike a lot of kitchens that have no where to put your legs at the bench
    ...See More

Concealed, internal laundry? or need to find alternative?

Q

Comments (41)
    Hi charlie_com: would love to see more as your house plans develop. We bought a house in The Gap last year. So hi, neighbour! We are currently working on plans for short term and long term renovations. I came across your post when searching for advice about whether it would be a big issue if laundry doesn't have direct external access. I agree with others who have mentioned the condenser dryer: our laundry is currently not internal and concealed, but we bought one soon after we moved in (a Bosch heat pump/condenser dryer) and are really happy with the investment as it reduces moisture in the laundry area and is much more energy efficient. I must admit to using it a lot now, because of the energy efficiency, and it being so much easier to stay on top of the laundry. The Styling Edge's photo of concealed laundry set up reminded me of a house where I first saw this set up being sold in Ashgrove several years ago. It was very nicely renovated, and part of the fairly open plan living, dining and kitchen zone, leading to the back deck and then back yard. I remember thinking it would be handy to have a laundry that was so close to living areas and bedrooms and not be separated from the main living. The house had no trouble selling, so it certainly didn't seem to be a deal breaker for buyers. I think it could be more problematic if there was a long, windy route through or around the house, to get to a clothes line. And by the way, I did check out your other posts to see if there was more progress on your house, and spotted the mention of not having a rug for 10 years due to inability to decide, and had a bit of a chuckle: that sounds so much like me.
    ...See More

Would love some feedback on these kitchen layouts

Q

Comments (58)
    Thank you siriuskey :) The location is metro Adelaide so very hot summers and cool winters. Plans are for timber frame wall and roof construction, rendered hebel panels for all external walls and colourbond custom orb roofing. Party wall construction with 25mm gyprock shaft liner panels. Laminate timber flooring for living areas, carpet to bedrooms, tiles to wet areas, stone bench tops. Exposed aggregate concrete driveway & front footpath, grey concrete/paving to side path & pergola area. The market for these homes is predominantly downsizers, first home buyers and possibly single/separated parents with young children who do not want a large block of land. Basically nicely completed traditional/modern homes with above average finishes but not too high end.
    ...See More
  • Peter Yee
    8 years ago

Here's a square pitcher with recessed handles. http://www.amazon.com/Anchor-Hocking-Pitcher-Stopper-64-Ounce/dp/B007QUN7DY/ref=pd_sim_79_2?ie=UTF8&dpID=41i3JPjCJNL&dpSrc=sims&preST=AC_UL160_SR91%2C160&refRID=19559915087X0XCW4DEC

• havingfun
    8 years ago

craig, could you start a thread about that? I am always interested.

• maureenroth
    8 years ago

We renovated our kitchen about 5 years ago and installed a double under-counter fridge drawer unit which we custom panelled. It was a supplemental fridge and we loved the extra storage and look, however it was a Jenn Air and the digital panel kept breaking. It must have happened at least 6 times. The upshot of the story is that they refunded the total purchase price of the unit and said they couldn't fix it. It still refrigerates but the digital panel and lights are non-functioning. Now I don't know if they have come up with a solution to this problem in the last couple of years but I would be very wary of buying another Whirpool product (KitchenAid, Jenn Air, Maytag are all Whirlpool).

• Alana Greene
    8 years ago
    A refrigerator that has just two tall doors & looks like a pantry, blending in with the rest of the surrounding cabinets.
  • benslocombe
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

How small can you live delightfully?

Under counter refrigerator units open up new ways of living. If thought of as a lifestyle change up rather than as a supplementary unit then they allow for a rethink of the traditional choreography involved in food prep.

• PRO
    John James O'Brien | Inspired Living, by design
    8 years ago

For me, design follows function. While there are some items that may benefit from being seen from the top--as in a drawer--most refrigerated items present best from the front. Drawer freezers are common, but users report "lost" items frequently. I have one myself and share this view--but also love the amount of space I have in it. IMO, an ideal is a dedicated fridge and a dedicate freezer--great if they are paneled to match but not necessary. I have an apartment size fridge/freezer combo in my studio and a full size French door plus drawer freezer in the house.

We store deeper reaching items mid-shelf so that there's no loss at the back, e.g. cheeses in a plastic basket--one pull for the whole lot, grab what you want and the whole lot slips back in. Same with eggs which we often buy 18 at a time.

The one item I regret in my own kitchen is a built-in ice maker. Waste of space, extra cost, plumbing risk, etc.

• havingfun
    8 years ago

I too would like an equal space, smaller fridge and separate small freezer. Maybe each 4 ft tall, 30" wide, something like that. fridge for veggies and cheeses, freezer for meats and left overs.

• marcdeni
    8 years ago
    We added a 2-drawer, drawer fridge (by Marvel) when we had our kitchen island built a few years ago. Our intent was to have a place for me to have easy access to drinks and appetizers when we have guests, separate from the cooking area (where my husband is busy). We're glad we did it. It's been a practical solution for us and we haven't found it at all noisy.
  • tasha11616
    8 years ago
    Great appliances
  • Amy Fox
    8 years ago

Perfect for the single person in a wheel chair. We don't cook too much, we can't reach too high, and we don't host large parties.. Same with two drawer stacking dishwashers. Who needs upper cabinets anyway? Unless it's to display all the sentimental gadgets and pottery you inherited?

• PRO
    de14031
    8 years ago
    I would just love the look on my guests faces when they go to the kitchen to grab a beer! That alone would make these work for me.
    8 years ago

I have thought about the drawer type refrigerator for things like fruits, vegetables, cheeses, lunchmeats, eggs & such, but I would never get rid of our traditional fridge. There are times when you just need that space. Thanksgiving & Christmas. Summer bbqs, birthdays parties, dinner parties, leftovers, etc. Also as others have said there are limits in the height of items you can put into the drawers & that would hind me throughout the year as well. Summer watermelons especially. YIKES! I MUST have room for my watermelon & honeydew melon & cantaloupe, etc........ :-)

• havingfun
    8 years ago

i think there are 3 or 4 ideas to using the drawers, although, it was interesting to me the electric they use.

1. Do you have children, great to give them a drawer on the outside of the island for drinks and snacks.

2. do you host a lot of parties, if dips are drinks are in a drawer outside immediately cooking, it is way easier.

3. if you are very fresh minded, or i like setting things at different temps, and it would be nice for that. drinks - near freezing, same with meats, much warmer for veggie/fruit. and one for dairy.

4. you are older or handicapped, which would apply to me too. Kitchen should start at my kneecaps, end at my nose.

Does this sound like a fair consensus?

• Mike Orenduff
    8 years ago

We put a drawer refrigerator in our newly-build loft because we like the clean look of nothing above the countertops. But the best thing about it is what many commenters see as a problem. It forces us to shop often and wisely. Thus we eat fresher food and don't have mystery containers of UFOs (Unidentified food objects) lurking in the corners of the frig.

• bertiefarrell
    8 years ago

Our laundry room is steps away from our kitchen. I have always wanted to put a 2nd refrigerator in it especially helpful when entertaining.

• Mich
    8 years ago
    I could never understand why refrigerators were not designed to fit the standard with of a counter top to better integrate with the entire kitchen design.
  • havingfun
    8 years ago

aren't they now?

• Peter Yee
    8 years ago

I think a lot of people have science projects going on in their large fridges. Cook small portions to eliminate leftovers and for health reasons. (-:

• PRO
    de14031
    8 years ago
    havingfun, yeah, they do make 'fridges counter depth. But the motor and mechanicals take up so much space in the bottom that the space is unusable. Traditional refrigerators at least have a small drawer that manufactures can advertise as cubic space. I think that's what the deal is...
  • Deborah Bray
    8 years ago

de14031, saying the bottom space is unusable is a gross exaggeration. I have two of these fridges and the bottom drawers of both are very usable.

• PRO
    de14031
    8 years ago
    Well alright then, maybe things have changed since I last studied them but this is the space I'm talking about, Namaste.
  • havingfun
    8 years ago

tell you the truth, for me, that would be unusuable anyway. i would rather the fridge stick out a couple inches? Oh, never mind it is not worth it. I am just not that big on why your fridge can not stick out, I guess it is true of the stove too? why doesn't everyone just have bigger cabinets? I am beginning to believe that sometimes style just sucks.

• kristinanadreau
    8 years ago

I live in the tropics. I use 2 refrigerators. If I shopped and cooked daily I could get by with smaller units. I am really not able to do much deep bending and digging around in the back of a deep refer is too painful! I do not want under counter refers or freezers that require me to get on my knees to see what is in the back. I have found that the foreign (not USA market) refer/frz are narrower and more shallow which is useful. If I could afford to replace what I have with the ideal solution, I would get 4 Meile units, that can be used as either frz OR refer. If there was a way to use drawer DW or Freezers or Refers lined up horizontally, not stacked, it would be ideal for me. and my back. and my climate

• nanajan15
    8 years ago

Perhaps because I am not vertically challenged I have difficulty understanding all the comments about having to get so low to get/see into bottom of fridge/freezer drawers -- they are not that deep -- just lift an item & there are the rest of your containers, etc. This is much easier than loading/unloading the bottom rack of your standard dishwasher. Has no one realized how 'silly' these comments are re: deep, lost items, etc.? If you haven't used it, don't knock it!

• havingfun
    8 years ago

All i can say nana is that when you knock something, because you have not experienced it, it tends to happen to you. it shall be a truly rude awakening i guess. Due to my oxygen difficulties, followed by my lovely arthritis, Apparently 50 years of great health has its downside. All my kitchen cabinets, fridges, etc. should start at my nose and end at my knees and nothing should be deeper than my arms. And i do not even have a bad back. Keeping my fingers crossed.

• Gayle MacPherson Farr
    8 years ago

My All Fridge at the moment has the mechanicals in the bottom. The drawers are quite usable if a bit short, but the other advantage of them being in the bottom is they are easy to clean, AND it puts the shelves up a bit higher, less bending. I rarely use the bottom drawers as they do harbour interesting science experiments. I do not have upper kitchen cabinets only bottom drawers. They start at my knees and end at my waist.....perfect.

• Ting Nmn
    8 years ago
    Do like the appeal of refrigerated drawers for specific uses. I've seen them in the late 70s. I like the idea of freezer drawers with separate frig, but agree with Summery.
  • Ting Nmn
    8 years ago
    forgot to post pic
  • sapple
    8 years ago

I have been using 4 SubZero refrigerator drawers since our kitchen remodel. I only had one wall for a refrigerator so we went with the drawers and a coffee bar on top. I love, love, love them. Everything is visible and organization is a dream. I kept my counter depth refrigerator in my pantry for freezer space, wine cooling and entertaining essentials. When hosting parties all the food goes to the traditional refrigerator and the drawers are perfect drink chillers, guests help themselves and beverages are always cold. Would never go back to the traditional refrigerator.

• havingfun
    8 years ago

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! And remember we are over 35 million, if we opt out, it will make a difference!

• Kitta Perttula
    8 years ago

I love the idea of this. But why do you have to open the device to tell if it's on or off. I understand that the designer has thought that the kitchen looks more sleek, but as a usability designer and Industrial designer I think that's a big design fail. The same fail can be seen e.g. in many dishwashers.

Why do you want to hide everything? Would you like to drive a car that looks like a garage door? :D

• havingfun
    8 years ago

I think i get what your saying, you think they should not be disguising them. I really don't have a problem with that, somethings just are functional,period. But, the only way to tell if any quiet ref. works is to open it?

• qam999
    8 years ago

My grandparents in Minnesota used to store perishable food on their unheated (but enclosed) back porch from October through March......cheese, fruit, cold cuts etc. It did not work very well due to lack of temperature control. When severe cold was expected, food would have to be moved back inside. They were trying to replicate the root cellar lifestyle even though they had a huge modern refrigerator. This did not make sense....

• Tarsha Watson
    8 years ago

I think the drawers are a great option for people that don't usually keep a lot of food in their refrigerator. Like me. My family usually don't have a lot of leftovers either.

• cheezqueen
    8 years ago

The nicest fridge I ever used was a 1960s vintage counter-depth wall-hung unit (this was in a rental house when we were first married in the early 70s). It was easy to see and reach everything, there was a built-in counter right under the reefer doors and 2 freezer drawers underneath. We didn't have kids then, but it would have required some assistance for little ones to use- on the other hand they could get their own popsicles!

• teddidouglas
    8 years ago

I really didn't know anyone would be using the fridge drawers as their primary. To me that would be highly impractical. I love fridge drawers as complements to, not as a replacements for, regular refrigerators. Each with an assigned purpose. Water/juice or fruits/veggies or meats/cheeses. Stuff that are fairly often used (especially when guests are over) and/or stuff that do better at their own temps. The big appeal to me was that I would no longer have one item determining the temp at which an entire is kept. When I had much smaller fridges in the past, I found that it actually caused me more money, because I was limited to how much I could buy and keep at a time. If my supermarket or Costco had a sale on a certain item I like, I couldn't buy it in bulk to keep because I had no space. Rarely do things spoil on me because the fridge is cleaned every week and if organized properly, nothing gets lost.

I find a drawer fridge as a primary fridge as practical as I find a drawer dishwasher. It's great until it isn't. Great for certain size items. Then throw a party or need to clean a stock pot and suddenly it isn't so wonderful.

• havingfun
    8 years ago

That was really how i saw them too. Especially since someone said they cost more to run. But you know, much of the world only needs one drawer, because they buy daily.

• petjaa
    8 years ago

Our first house was a model from the 50's or 60's with the upper cabinet built in refridgerator, they didn't work right in those days something regarding the motor not big enough or something. Everyone was remodeling the kitchens. I have always liked the concept regarding our current refridgerators as dinasours in the kithen. I would love built in if they indeed worked right without issues.

• Gayle MacPherson Farr
    8 years ago

My parents had a built in double refrigerator in their 50's kitchen and 2 freezer drawers. The fridge was at waist height and up and the drawers just below with room under them for deep storage drawers. The only thing the new owners kept from the old kitchen when the house was sold in 1978 was the fridge freezer set up. I believe its still there or they had a custom unit made to fill the space. The unit sat in an alcove beside the basement stairs. Still the best set up I have ever seen. The ones today are too big, and just seem like elephants in the room. Especially the Stainless ones that are the first and sometimes only things you see in a kitchen.

• PRO
    U-Line
    8 years ago

We are promoting the concept of modular refrigeration, the idea that you break away from the conventional 'big-box' refrigerator, and instead install strategically placed undercounter refrigerators throughout your space based on your lifestyle. You can do a mix of undercounter refrigerators with glass shelves and pull out drawers, ice makers, freezers, beverage centers, and wine cellars. We are getting positive responses from families that have remodeled with this modular refrigeration approach. Want to learn more about how modular refrigeration works? Visit www.ModularRefrigeration.com to learn about a kitchen remodel in California, and visit http://blog.u-line.com/modular-refrigeration-remodel-in-parkcity/ to learn about a kitchen remodel in Utah.

• printesa
    8 years ago

@U-Line, what is your warranty on the products? I am interested in the beverage centers and wine fridges (the double door ones)

• JoAnn Andrus
    8 years ago

Our first home had been a model home from the late 50's, with the latest ideas of that era. We had to remodel the kitchen because the upper cabinets on one side of the kitchen was a refrigerator that no longer worked. The story was that the motor burnt out on this concept and they no longer were used. So everyone remodeled their kitchen to provide a conventional refrigerator. I used the refrigerator in the garage until our remodel, running back and forth. I have never forgotten that refrigerator. Todays refrigerators are deep dinosaurs containing unreachable forgotten items in the back, even the counter tops stick out interfering with opening drawers and cabinets in my kitchen. I am not alone with this frustration. I am constantly trying to figure out alternative answers. Someone has to come up with a better idea. Why does the current refrigerator drawer type have loud motors. Why would their motor be any noisier or costly than the standard refrigerators. If technology can make an i-phone and battery run car it certainly can come up with a better refrigerator.

• Jennifer Hogan
    8 years ago

I think it depends on need. My parents home had a full size refrigerator and a full size freezer and my mom also had a refrigerator freezer combo in the laundry room, but most nights we had 14 or 15 people at the table. I don't need the space my mom had, but I think I would like the counter depth full height fridge. The freezer could be a small chest or 2 drawers. There simply is never enough room in my fridge with a gallon of milk and a gallon of OJ and a gallon of this, that and the other, water and sodas and beer and no room for food. I have also thought about getting a beverage fridge of some sort that would leave me a fridge for food.

• JoAnn Andrus
    8 years ago

We have an extra fridge in the garage for drinks and extra food, also a freezer for our bulk frozen food.

• summery
    8 years ago

@ U-Line, I hope you come back to this discussion! Can't believe you're the only refrigerator industry pro to have commented, and that says an awful lot for the others in the industry - and not in a good way - doesn't it.

Anyway, I'm definitely interested in NOT having a standard big refrigerator, but instead want a bank of highly efficient refrigerator drawers, set at slightly different temps according to the contents: meats, fruits & veg, dairy, booze, etc.

Hope U-Line residential undercounter refrigerator systems are available in Canada.

• JoAnn Andrus
    8 years ago

U-Line is really the future kitchen. the idea has been out there for many years, it just hasn't taken off. I think a lot of people are tired of the refrigerator issues and would consider alternatives.

• Sandra Childress
    8 years ago

Until fairly recently, fridges in the U.K. were mainly under-the-counter types. They are available in different voltages for the export markets. The best ones are German-made.

• juicerlab
    7 years ago

Evaporative Cooler Fridge

• A shelf unit

• Burlap bags

• Clamps or clothespins

• Large pan for water (if needed)

• A cheap PVC shelf unit from you local hardware store works well. It’s lightweight and inexpensive.

• Assembling Instructions:

• Assemble shelf with the top shelf inverted (shown in picture) to use as a built-in tray for water.
      • Cut burlap to fit around shelf. I recommend doing this ahead of time in case you need to sew pieces together.
      • Soak burlap in water and place around shelf as shown using the clamps or clothespins to hold cloth in place.
      • Fill the top (or large pan/cookie sheet) with water.
      • Leave an extra amount of burlap folded over on the top to soak in the water.As the water wicks down the burlap there's a cooling effect on the items placed inside on the shelf.

Putting it in the shade is of