Houzz Logo Print
lmage

Does living room furniture match?

lmage
8 years ago

Hi, I am looking at getting a new couch as my current beautiful navy blue two seater is too small, and a chaise would also better fit our living room layout. The only couch I can find that fits the space and seems as though it would go with our cream chairs is this Ikea couch, in grey (my current couch has a slightly boxy shape to it, which has never entirely looked like it fit with the curved shape of the cream chairs, so I'm trying to rectify this with the new couch).

My concern is that I was really going for a 'warmer', less modern kind of look, with the navy blue that I have at the moment, and I also haven't anything grey in my room to tie the couch in. We do need a rug as well, so I'm looking at this rug from Ikea, which I think would help tie in the grey, and also brings in some gold which we already have in our room. Do you think this would all work together? (I own all the pieces pictured, except the couch and rug). I would love to still tie in some dark blue, but I'm not sure if that would work. I also have just very minimal pops of red/dark pink happening in artwork and accessories, so adding in blue as well may be too much?? I'm thinking maybe I will have to embrace the grey instead?

FYI, I'm on a very very tight budget. Even though I've seen some nicer rugs (although, honestly, I can't find a couch that would work better than this cheapo one), we really can't afford to spend more on a rug than the $150 odd that this one costs. We are also waiting on our first baby mid way through the year, so am aware that couches/rugs may get ruined (!!!!)/our needs may change etc, so I don't want to spend a lot on pieces that are high maintenance or that we may not keep for a long time.

Thanks in advance for your help. I lack confidence with this stuff, and also hate shopping - not an ideal mix! But super motivated to have an outcome we're happy with.

Comments (3)