Houzz Logo Print
kayxbeco

Need help with layout and design of living room / dining room

kayxbeco
4 years ago

Hi all - I am trying to do up my living / dining room and need some advice! In particular - thoughts on layout (particularly the back corner - plant nook?), and what to do with one particular wall. But really welcome all thoughts or advice! Also any links to furniture or decor (I’m in Sydney, Aus, with a somewhat flexible budget).

I’ve added some pictures and a rough floor plan (please excuse the mess! A bit hectic at the moment as we transition into working from home).

Some of my thoughts in case they are informative:

Style: My current moodboard: https://pin.it/1oZsAe1 

General usage:

• There are 3 of us living here. We are adopting a puppy soon.
  • This space is primarily a living room and a dining room.
  • However, for the next couple of months, we will also have an office desk to work from home (I have ordered a standing desk 140x60cm), but we are planning to relocate this to another room after things hopefully go back to normal in a few months.

Current thinking:

• I am looking for a larger entertainment unit / sideboard etc for the TV to stand on for board games, Switch games and cables to get rid of the dark cube next to the grey sofa - appreciate any recommendations
  • I am also looking for an extendable dining table - ideally a bit shorter than the current table (140x80) but can extend out longer. We usually entertain about once a month and have 2-5 extra people over.
  • We previously had the sofa and dining table in the middle of the room to divide the space (picture of old layout attached). But unfortunately while I liked how ‘designed’ it felt, it was a bit too cramped for us. Especially as we now work out more at home and will want more space to play and train our puppy, we decided we wanted more space in front of the TV.

Issues:

• Not sure what to do with the left wall (with the dining table / plant nook). If I get art, should I centre above the dining table, or centre on the wall? Can I add shelves on either side of it without it looking to busy?
  • I have quite a number of indoor plants that I’m hoping to keep primarily near the back corner of the room - unfortunately it’s the sunniest spot in the living room and the rest of the room does not get a lot of light.
  • Even then I am hoping to use some grow lights for them, but am having trouble finding more subtle solutions (so it’s not so in-your-face grow lights). Currently I have white IKEA grow lights, but no real ‘lamps’ or anything to houses them in.

Current layout:

OLD LAYOUT - didn’t work for us:

Comments (7)