Houzz Logo Print
peacefullyme

Creating more space in dining area, perhaps with banquette seating?

peacefullyme
8 years ago

Hi,

We'd like to create more space in our dining area - perhaps incorporating some storage too - and we're thinking of banquette seating. Below are photos from different angles (taken over one year ago - we no longer use the kids' chairs as they're in big chairs now).

We could take out the air conditioning unit as we have ducted air conditioning, so no longer use this one. Plus, we don't need the wine cupboard. However, I am thinking of adding in some storage either on the wall where the air con unit is currently or on the wall perpendicular to it, where the wine cupboard currently is.

We only have a small house, so this is our only dining area. I'm not sure if this means banquette seating would therefore be too casual (making it appear as though it's always a breakfast area). However, I like it that it may utilise the space better and may allow for storage within the seats (important for a small house). Plus, it's also the area where my children do their school homework, where my husband and I work whenever we need to work from home. It gets a lot of use.

Houzzers have great advice, so I'm wondering please if you could comment on whether you think this is a good idea (feel free to suggest something better) and what your advice is for how to do this. We live in the lower Blue Mountains, NSW, Australia.

Thank you!!

P.S. Below are photos of our kitchen and further below that are photos I've seen on Houzz that I like.

These are some of the Houzz photos I like:

Contemporary Dining Room · More Info

Kitchen · More Info

Menlo Park Kitchen Remodel · More Info

Historic Urban Georgian · More Info

Comments (12)