Houzz Logo Print
tdeepat

Remodel living room

tdeepat
8 years ago
Want to paint walls in living room and hallway, thinking spice/oranges/brown colors. Want leather furniture, new carpet, new window covering, new front door. Not sure where to start and what would look best in this room.

Comments (36)

• groveraxle
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

So essentially you want to start over. We can help, so let me start by suggesting a few things that definitely need changing.

You could use a longer TV cabinet. It will look more balanced and better ground the TV.

The art and shelf and little wall hangings behind the chair are way too small for that wall.

The mirror doesn't reflect anything worth seeing twice. I'd replace it with art.

The valance on the window is dated. It should go away.

And there might be a better furniture arrangement. This one is totally focused on the TV and there's a traffic lane in front of it. It's also not set up for when you turn the TV off and just want to have a conversation. It's best if a room is set up to do both.

Do you have any inspiration pictures to share so we can get a sense of your style?

• groveraxle
    8 years ago

Try moving the TV to the opposite wall and placing the sofa to face it. This will create an entry from the front door.

• Related Discussions

Lounge room / living room layout

Q

Comments (1)
    This is a tricky one! I'm not a fan of a TV dominating the room either. An L-shaped couch could be a starting point - thinking about furniture that isn't always oriented towards the tv but flexible when you do want to watch a movie. We also found having a lower, longer sideboard / tv unit made the TV appear smaller in proportion, so not as focal. Good luck :)
    ...See More

Open plan living room and dining room

Q

Comments (2)
    Hello Kathy, what beautiful floors you have.....too lovely to totally cover. I think you're on the right track using two large rugs which will delineate the two usage areas but still show off a bit of that pretty timber. If you can make the rugs big enough to allow a nonslip path for your dog, so much the better. lhh
    ...See More

Connolly WA Living Room Room Transformation

Q

Comments (0)
    Top up Staging is where we can utilise some of our client's existing furniture and add contemporary pieces to modernise the overall presentation and give the wow factor to the property. The below before and after pictures show the same two adjoining rooms with the client's own furniture being rearranged and adding our accessories and other pieces of furniture to create spaces with better flow and purpose. The before photos show the opening between the two rooms being blocked by a couch. We have moved the couch to the adjoining room and added two lounge chairs that allow flow between the two rooms. We also utilised the clients' floor rugs but swapped them between rooms to better suit the furniture and accessories. The items we have added have given the rooms a purpose and have tied in nicely with the owners existing pieces to create warm and welcoming spaces. Before: After:
    ...See More

Cosmetic Remodel of Living Room with Ocean View

Q

Comments (3)
    We would use exactly what you have mentioned. luxury vinyl planks, light walls would look wonderful with mahogany furniture. Look at Dulux snowy mountains 1/4 strength. Do you need the heavy curtains for heat reduction or would white sheers be okay. You can get well priced ready made curtains from “Spotlight” or “Freedom” stores.
    ...See More
  • groveraxle
    8 years ago

This is the new view from the sofa:

• tdeepat
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I have these picture collages that are new that I like. I also like metal art and canvas.
  • groveraxle
    8 years ago

You want to redo the whole room and don't know where to start. Picture frames are not a starting point. Room arrangement is. You need an arrangement that works to determine what kind and sizes of furniture you need. Until then, you won't even know where the frames belong.

• PRO
    ARCSPACE STUDIO
    8 years ago

The solution to this kind of problem is multifaceted and complex. I'd recommend buying a couple of hours of consulting time from an interior designer. They will offer a fresh perspective. They are also design professionals and will come to you with a wealth of experience.

• tdeepat
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I think the room only can fit a couch and two chairs. I like the looks of leather.
  • groveraxle
    8 years ago

Well, tdeepat, I've given you several suggestions and you've responded to none of them. I've even Photoshopped your room to show you how it might look with a leather sofa, two chairs, bigger art, and a new furniture arrangement. I can't do any more without knowing what does or doesn't work for you from what I've already suggested.

• tdeepat
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I'm sorry, I didn't see the other pictures with the chairs. So, you wouldn't put anything in front of the window?
  • groveraxle
    8 years ago

Maybe a long narrow bench under the window. Sorry I couldn't turn it properly, but you get the idea. I wouldn't put anything there that would block the light.

• tdeepat
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Do you think a material sofa would look better than leather in this room? Also, what would you do about the gun cabinet?
  • mjconti
    8 years ago

Oh gee, thats what it is...I thought it was a cabinet you could use for books or decorative items! Do you have another place in your home to move it to? I truly think first things first; shop for the sofa - whether you decide on leather or fabric. If you are purchasing new chairs, do that too. One could be larger than the other, but best if they are the same height. Then shop for carpeting. Then you can decide on paint color. I'd keep it light. Your tv stand is fine; After you paint, don't put the mirror back on the wall. It seems too big for the room. Maybe your new sofa could be moved to the longer wall (facing front window); and 2 chairs with a table & lamp between them on the wall where your current sofa is located. It would also be ok to have a table & lamp centered in front of your window, since the window is large and the view wouldn't be that obstructed. If you get a new door, find one you like that has at least a small window on the top, or a larger more decorative one. I've been in numerous homes with living rooms just like yours.

• tdeepat
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    You would keep the TV where it is?
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    8 years ago

Here are two layouts for your room. Using one of these provides you with a designated 'foyer entry' area and a living room area in your room.

I would suggest that before you purchase any furniture or make any color decisions you place your existing furnishings in these layouts to see if these work in your room.

• tdeepat
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I think we will put the gun cabinet in the basement. Is that a center table you are showing in this 13 X 18 room?
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    8 years ago

This new floor plan is to scale and the sofa shown is 3'x 8'. The room will work better if you can keep the sofa at about 7' in length. That means sofa without really wide arms. Coffee table will work in the space.

• rocketjcat
    8 years ago
    Yes, priority #1. The TV needs to move. Since you already have an accent wall, I would start by putting it there, just like groveraxle pictured. Priority # 2... The gun cabinet needs to move to a different room. Unless you're trying to encourage guests to behave well... :-)
  • groveraxle
    8 years ago

Beverly's last floor plan will probably work best because the TV is not across from the window. You can also reverse the sofa and chairs depending on which one you prefer for watching TV. However, I would probably move the window seating to the opposite wall for two reasons: 1. you can look out the window, and 2. it leaves you less blank wall to decorate.

• tdeepat
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Do you think I should have the one accent wall, all one color, or WHAT?
  • tdeepat
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    What sort of little bench or table in front of picture window, or nothing at all?
  • PRO
    Carol DiBacco -Closet Factory Hampton Roads
    8 years ago

Find your sofa first. Purchase a good one. You'll pay more but it will last forever. Also be sure the scale of the sofa is right for the room. Then work from that to make your other color and textural options.

• tdeepat
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I envision a medium brown overstuffed leather coach. Or should I switch my thoughts to a fabric couch? I have never owned leather but like the richness look of it.
  • rocketjcat
    8 years ago
    As Beverly has said..keep your sofa to close to 7'. I would resist the overstuffed look, it need to be proportional to the room. leather can still be very comfortable in a little smaller style.
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    8 years ago

These leather sofas from American Signature & Rooms To Go are 88" or less and would fit in your room. Stay away from the real overstuffed sofas because you room is not large enough to accommodate their bulk. I'm hesitant to even show you the first sofa, but I aware that lots of people like the recliner sofas.

These furnishings can be installed in a variety of ways.

• tdeepat
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Do you know if the medium brown sofa has recliners on each end? If not, my husband will HAVE to have lazyboy recliner.
  • abb_ann
    8 years ago
    Don't put the photos in a living room. Maybe in a hallway. Use Artwork in a living room.
  • groveraxle
    8 years ago

Don't get a reclining sofa. You can't even use a coffee table with them. Get Hubby a recliner instead.

I would also STRONGLY suggest before you do any shopping that you move your current furniture into the different arrangements and see how they work. Choose the one that works the best for you, then measure so you know how large or small each sofa or chair needs to be.

• groveraxle
    8 years ago

Also, do not get bonded or bicast leather; it's a total waste of money and will not last. You want top grain leather, at least on the seat and back portions of your couch.

• PRO
    Carol DiBacco -Closet Factory Hampton Roads
    8 years ago

Leather is a good choice. Just avoid the big bulky ones. It will fill to heavy for the room especially if you decide on a brown one. I like this one because of the low profile back and arms. Also like that it is open at bottom-again makes it feel less heavy. Added bonus it reclines:) If you went with something like this I would pair it with a fabric chair or chairs. Something with a pattern you like that works with the color of the sofa. Try not to choose a pattern you will tire of after a year. Once you find the chairs your options for color elsewhere (walls, floors, etc) will come more easily. Have you ever tried floating a sofa or a couple of chairs to make the room feel more separated from the entry? It would mean placing the TV on another wall but I would try to do that either way and treat that wall as an entry. That is assuming the door I see is an entry door:) Hope some of this will help.....

• tdeepat
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I have never had this living room with the entry area open. It seems like this will make my living room appear a whole lot smaller. I will move existing furniture to match the images suggested by Houzz and see if it is something I could live with.
  • groveraxle
    8 years ago

tdeepat, it will make your living room seem smaller, but that's not a bad thing because it will also make it feel cozier. Right now it doesn't feel like a living room at all. Your current arrangement makes it feel like an entry with a traffic lane in front of the TV (even if you never use that door, the feeling is there) and no way to sit face to face and converse.

Turn it around so this 13 x 18' space becomes two, an entry space and a living area that is closer to square. You'll find it looks and works much better, I think.

• tdeepat
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Here is an update. Moving TV to opposite wall. Here is pictures of our new furniture (to be delivered in 4 more weeks). Putting couch on Wall facing window and 2 chairs in front of window. Paint wall color included. Will order carpet next week - color and style ideas? New front door with full designer glass. Will add accent table on Wall where door opens and add a small lamp, mirror, flower vase, etc.
  • tdeepat
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Here are more pictures. Considering a top down bottom up cellular shade for window but want to wait til room is put together to determine which color. Will add black curtain rod above window with a scarf. Have to tie some black into the room since my front door will be full glass with black lines and squares. Still need to figure out end tables and lamps too, maybe tie some black into those. Let me know your thoughts please as to how this will all come together. I have had the chance to talk to a couple of designers.
  • tdeepat
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    The rust accent walls will be the wall where the front glass door opens and I'm also painting the one kitchen wall this rust color because my house all flows together.
  • groveraxle
    7 years ago

Nice choices on the seating. I like the canvas a lot. I think the metal art is going to look puny.

I would say no to the swag on the window. It's as dated as valances are. And be careful not to get too small a lamp for the entry. It will look best if it's proportioned about like I show in the renderings below.

Your paint color looks orange, not rust, on my monitor, and it's an awful lot of bold color for that wall. A more neutral color will work better, IMO.