Houzz Logo Print
cjcash

Window size and placement to maximise light?

cjcash
8 years ago
We have just commenced our build and I need to lock in window order next week. I'm now second guessing plans for window placement and would love your advice. Plans are attached, in summary, we are building an open plan living, kitchen, dining area opening out onto a covered alfresco. North side of the house will run the length of this space but faces onto a narrow driveway and unattractive neighbouring property. I currently have one long highlight window and one picture window in plans. Options I'm considering are:
1) swap placement of highlight and picture window and make this window larger so that the meals area has large windows on the two walls (one onto alfresco). Pros - more light? Opportunity to plant out view so will improve over time, create a wrap around effect with all the windows (have seen some lovely examples but can't seem to find them now that I want them!). Cons - limits furniture placement options for meals area, possibly reduces light into family zone?
2) highlight windows for both. Pros - preserves wall space for furniture options, no ugly neighbour aspect. Cons - would this reduce overall light?
3) as per plans. Pros - similar to above, furniture placement options. Cons - the picture window is further up the driveway so is likely to have a trailer in full view most of the time. Yuk!
4) highlight windows as per option 2 but add skylights to roofed alfresco so that this isn't as shady?

I would love your thoughts, am sure window guy will have a view next week but it would be great to hear from anyone who has experience with these choices. Do highlight Windows let in same or less light?

Thanks!

Comments (7)