Houzz Logo Print
riet4me

downsizing challenge to help make an affordable, little oasis for me &

riet4me
8 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Hello Houzz, love your site,

The challenge is; - I, like many people, need to downsize, however, the selling price of my house is less than the price of units (with a restricted lifestyle & land). Financially it doesn't make sense, once you add - moving, selling costs plus stamp duty. Plus, I cannot find a house or block that has, what I want or need. I am sure that there is a huge unexplored market for inner city housing which, can have tiny resort like garden features. Especially with the climate warming in Melbourne.

I'd love to find an architect/interior designer to upcycle & repurpose much of what I have, into a modern, techno, industrial, sustainable house & garden.

I have the 'bones' a house. Like many pensioners, I have to improve my only asset; my home. My only option to achieve a supplementary income is to have one or two boarders. However, I need my own privacy too.

The existing house is a 24 sq brick, single storey, 1970s house & garage on a nearly 700 block, that faces south. 4 bdrm, 2 living rooms - 1 with an OFP; 1 bathrm with european laundry; 1 laundry; 1 galley style kitchen & 1 open-plan dining room. Close to hospitals, shops, park etc. Only 15-20 mins to the city on the Ring Road.

My children have moved out, so I want to remodel/upgrade it, to accommodate: -

1) more skylights or floor to ceiling glass doors to incorporate views of a low maintenance rear garden. 2) an alfresco kitchen; 3) a tropical, tiny plunge pond, with overhead shower to access; 4) a bedroom that, must capture the eastern morning light, with a WIR. 5) a 2nd entrance to the house would be desirable, as the garage already has internal access.

Infact, I want plenty of, off the 'floor storage' throughout the house & garage. I have a lot of 'stuff' that can be sold/swapped or upcycled.

My budget is only $100,000 [my total savings after GFC & 2 bad financial planner's advice].

I don't know where to start - most professional builders say, ''it is too smaller job'': yet it is ''too big a job'' for most tradies - unless I stipulate what goes where; but, I don't know what walls or roof trusses can be removed safely.

Do you have someone who would like, to take on this downsizing challenge to help make an affordable, little oasis for me & 2 other pensioner/boarders to enjoy?

Thank you for reading my dilemma. I hope you are able to find the right persons that are enthusiastic to find this house's solution.

Looking forward,
Linda Riet

Comments (13)