Houzz Logo Print
webuser_344095377

Help needed on colour ideas for weird kitchen floor/ wall tiles

HU-344095377
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Hi guys, home renno is a bit outside my comfort zone. However with all the self-iso, I think it's a good challenge for me and would be rewarding - with hopefully an end result of a more calmer space.

Context:

I've got a tricky situation on the colouring of my kitchen that makes the space looks messy and cramped. Currently there are four colours in my kitchen (and dining area) that I can't change.

1. Dining area floor tiling - brown beige
  2. Kitchen area floor tiling - green beige
  3. Kitchen wall tiling - lighter green beige
  4. Kitchen bench top - black with silver specs on

(5. The kitchen bench top colour/ wood pattern is quite out there as well.. though technically i can re-do #4 and #5 bench tops w the help of some Bunnings youtube videos.)

I also have a very low light that dangles down low from a high ceiling.

Questions on colour:

Imo, the dummy proof way is to paint everything white, not only it could give a bit more light to a house with little windows, it's also easier to pair other decorations/ plants with.

However am open to any suggestions to match all the weird tiles. Would not mind white, blush/ peach, sort of combo. (#F7C59F, #FBD1A2, #EEE2DF, #EED7C5 etc)

What sort of a colour palette would you recommend?

Open to all recommendations here, I am prepared to paint everything from the walls, cabinets (and drawers) and that wooden section on top of the cabinets that stretches all the way to the ceiling.

Questions on space utilisation:

We are lucky to have a place with high ceiling however the current light and cabinets don't do it justice with everything brought lower. I'm happy to invest in a higher step/ ladder to reach things so don't mind full utilisation of the wall space.

What would you guys do to make the space fully utilised?

I'm currently thinking pegboards (can paint it to match too) for the wall space and bringing the light higher together with some lower on the bench top light support. However am conscious that some of these wooden boards are thin and old, so am afraid not much drilling can be done?

Thanks in advance!

Comments (11)