Houzz Logo Print
suancol

kitchen exhaust fans

suancol
7 years ago

I am not sure i really want one though the builder says "yes you do " I would prefer a window that opens above the induction cook top for any steam release. Induction meaning no flames or potential to burn curtains as there is no flame or heat source and most likely no curtains. Comments welcome

Comments (15)

• macyjean
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

How long do you plan to be in the house, as in how much does resale value influence you?

Why don't you want one, potential cost saving, more streamlined appearance, etc?

What sorts of things do you cook> I think that's the big question regarding how much ventilation you need.

IMO relying on the window gives you minimal benefit. If it's raining heavily that option might not be available to you. If it's windy it might blow everything in rather than letting it out.

• suancol
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks macy yes for streamlined I want no overhead cupboards not reselling and south australia is not a rainy place and prevailing winds blow the correct direction and i want a view and air source on that wall for cross ventilation. Thanks for helping me clarify the why of a gut idea. Su

• macyjean
    7 years ago

I agree with MB Design & Drafting. I don't know how efficient those in-bench units are these days, no doubt they have improved since I first heard of them but the very design concept probably still has limitations compared to a big hood above the cooktop. However if you're not 'cooking up a storm' as the real estate agents like to call it then your priority is not something with maximum extraction. I agree that you should have something, and it would not necessarily be easy to add if you decide later that you wish you had it. So a neat little unit that rises out of the bench sounds like the go for your needs.

suancol thanked macyjean
  • suancol
    Original Author
    7 years ago

i am a not cooker as I use the microwave for zapping. single person so am not making much in way of steam or smoke or greasy smoke. My cholesterol is high so diet is very clean and often raw. kitchen is in kitchen /family /dining all in one room hence need for clean and clear. i may allow a small through the wall fan later if i rent it or sell on. there is a major concern since most exhausting into roof does not consider steam and grease ruining effects of insulation. planning this new house has been a major experiment on learning sustainable/ environmental to the max thanks macy

• PRO
    MB Design & Drafting
    7 years ago

Most extraction should be vented externally rather than a roof space. Bathrooms for example should be the same. The in bench units seem to be quite good and I'm surprised that they've come down in price so much. They look pretty cool as well.

suancol thanked MB Design & Drafting
  • gnviney
    7 years ago
    How much have they come down? The Gaggenau model I just looked at online was $13000 for a 90cm and over $15000 for the 120cm model.
    If you live in Melbourne there's always the twice yearly IXL sale. I'm fairly sure that they are the distributor for Gagenau.
    suancol thanked gnviney
  • Barbara Dunstan
    7 years ago

@suancol,

You are alone at present but what if that changes and you hook up with a chef for example??.....who will cook your home into oblivian ha-ha

In my opinion, if you cook in your kitchen even a little, if you don't have a foolproof extraction system, then all the steam etc... even laden with perhaps minimal fat but cooking particles non the less, will eventually see you plastering the entire open plan living with a serious mess.

I'm not having overheads as such either for height reasons, I'm very short and overheads serve no purpose for me personally but I wouldn't dream of not having a rangehood, so I will still have two cupboards, one on either side to simply balance the rangehood, so you can have both without covering your entire uper wall area with wall to wall cupboards.

I strongly suggest you search Houzz photo's for rangehoods in kitchens and see if you can find a design and rangehood you might be able to live with, as I certainly wouldn't be paying the sort of price suggested for a Gagenau system nor do I think you will ever be happy with an after market wall fan, I think it will look cheap.

Good luck with your search.

suancol thanked Barbara Dunstan
  • Vy
    7 years ago

I love to cook and a rangehood is a prerequisite I do open my two doors to get the breeze through..

have you thought of having one on an island bench ? that way you don't need over head cupboards ?

on opening windows I've got gas and it blows out my flame..

it doesn't get rid of all the smell

when it rains you need to close it..

in Summer you get flies unless you've got a fly screen..

in Winter it's bitterly cold..

resell value better to put one in or at least plan to put one in so everything is in place for one if you do sell

suancol thanked Vy
  • macyjean
    7 years ago

"i may allow a small through the wall fan later if i rent it or sell on."

Fans designed for steam are not supposed to be used for kitchens.

MB Design & Drafting - "Most extraction should be vented externally rather than a roof space."

Vy - "resell value better to put one in or at least plan to put one in so everything is in place for one if you do sell"

Yes and yes.

suancol thanked macyjean
  • PRO
    MB Design & Drafting
    7 years ago

The Gaggenau Down draft models vary but they range from $1200 odd to $7000 odd. Quite inexpensive to retain a 'clean' aesthetic.

• Barbara Dunstan
    7 years ago

@suancol,

I didn't even begin to think about how difficult it would be to fit a fan of any description as an after thought through a wall at least and as mentioned above, these types of fans are not designed for a kitchen and are also quite loud!!!

What with insulation and pre existing wiring possibly already there, it would be almost impossible to put wiring in later and I got that straight from my electrician, who said roof access is the only way to do this usually, as they simply piggy backs onto another circut but then theres the mess later as well, of cutting out the plaster, perhaps having to retile, repaint etc...

You said originally that you're not planing on reselling at the present moment and you should do what you want but I think in this instance, you should put in a rangehood but if not, at least do your internal fitouts for the future.

Could I also suggest that you give us a picture of your kitchen and perhaps there might be a professional out there that can help you with the look you so desire but still achieve propper kitchen ventilation.

suancol thanked Barbara Dunstan
  • suancol
    Original Author
    7 years ago

it is in the planning stage with induction cooktop central to 150 cm space between raised cupboards housing oven and micro on one side and a toaster / kettle appliance cupboard on opposite side with sink in island opposite cooktop my aim was to have an opening window above the cooktop and if i did a fan one that would go through the wall some are small enough to replace a single brick though someone said they are only good for bathroom ensuite laundry use as kitchen can produce grease i don't fry so thought it might be a solution there too

• Evonne
    7 years ago

I Am doing a kicthen reno now too and have decided not to have an exhaust fan. In my view, most are inefficient, noisy and generally an expensive light (In previous home, I never turned on because of that).

I have talked to 4-5 kitchen designers and while they said they have improved in quality/noise, whether needed depands on how you cook and including is not compulsory (one admitted that their colleague just did their kitchen and did not put one in...). Go with your gut.

Re Potential long in future Re-sale: people always have to have something to negotiate price on, let it be this.. If they even notice :)

• suancol
    Original Author
    7 years ago

thanks Evonne seems like there a lot of greasy cooking people out there I am not one thanks for comment maybe we will start a new trend