Houzz Logo Print
sallyhart

Victorian Terrace Bedroom Storage

Clever Closet Company
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Terrace houses are quite a challenge storage wise. The elegant lines and scale of these old beauties can be ruined with unsympathetic storage solutions that interfere with cornices, picture rails and tend to unbalance the room.

I like to minimise the impact of built in storage in these homes by maximising hanging where possible into nooks and crannies offered by these old beauties, such as into the recess created by the chimney. Then gain storage for other items with bespoke, space maximising but sympathetic furniture such as this credenza.

Being a low piece running the length of the window, and beyond we gain a lot of valuable lineal storage in a compact, seamless and sympathetic way. The benefit of custom design is we can make it whatever length suits the room, and more importantly in this room we could keep the unit quite shallow so as to keep the generous feeling of the room.

Having used as much of the wardrobes as possible for hanging, we use the credenza for the remaining priorities- underwear, folded gear and shoes.

When designing the credenza, Lisa was pregnant and I was concerned for her discomfort when bending to reach low into the drawers. This inspired me to turn the shoes vertically, which enabled us to fit more in and for Lisa to not have to bend as low.

Comments (2)