Houzz Logo Print
sydlouise

Riverstone/pebble floor indoor garden

Louise
7 years ago
When you enter my house through the garage or use the laundry or second bathroom you go through a basement with an exposed sandstone rock wall (wet after rain).
The floor is plain concrete with a drainage channel for any water that seeps through and it's currently a mess of storage with ugly wooden beams exposing the back of plasterboard where a bedroom has been created. all the plumbing pipes for the upstairs bathroom are visible above the sandstone.

We're loving the idea of turning this into an indoor feature garden with hanging ferns to obscure the plumbing pipes, potted ferns sitting along the drainage area to emphasise the pretty natural rock, maybe some moss. There is a window but we would also install some black lights that can be switched on during the day when we're at work.

I saw this idea for river stone flooring and loved it I think it would turn an ugly eyesore into something quite special. The problem is since everyone is doing it for bathrooms they put loads of grout in to smooth off the finish which takes away the natural feel. I liked the idea of having it cemented to the floor like tiles without it looking too 'manicured' so it's more like an actual river bed.
As most of the area isn't walked through the feel under foot isn't crucial, but I did consider some paver stepping stones to keep with the outside vibe and make walking around barefoot to water plants or go to the laundry stress free.
Any thoughts if this would work keeping in mind it's a standard cement slab that hasn't got a usual bathroom waterproof membrane for a tiling project.
if so, how to grout it without losing all of its look but protecting the stones.
I would leave the drainage ditch clear I think, maybe some loose pebbles in between plants. The water flow is very low as it's only seepage and the rest of the floor stays dry other than rising damp.

I've attached the pics that gave me the idea. First is the one I loved but second is the finished product, very grouty.

Comments (9)