Houzz Logo Print
nik_yetman

What do you think of our dream-home plans?

Wild Bear & Co Hervey Bay
6 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Hi fellow Houzz'ers, I'm a long-time follower, first-time poster :) Hubby & I have found a house plan from a master builder we love, but have tweaked it so that it bests fit our family. We are in QLD. Please let me preempt this post by saying a few things:- 1. I can't draw lol 2. My amendments are not to scale so I don't know if they are viable options or not. We haven't spoken to our chosen builder about all this first, figuring it would be best to get some independent advice/suggestions - hence why I'm asking here :) The biggest changes we have made are the main bedroom/master and the front room which was originally another family/dining space but I've changed to a studio/rumpus/theatre room. I've also extended the alfresco. And removed the internal laundry/garage access door to create an exit point from the laundry, directly to the yard. The main bedroom originally had a separated WIR & ensuite which I personally didn't like. We have changed it so that the room flows much better, but also allows us to better hear our son who at almost 20 months of age, has a rare form of epilepsy - so we need to be able to hear him & have quicker access from our room to his so he would be in the adjoining bedroom. Our young daughter (almost 5) would be in the next room. Bedroom 4 may end up as a room for my mum on a short or long term basis. I'd love all 3 bedrooms to be a little bigger with the option of a WIR to bed 4... but I think that would mean extending walls & I presume this would add further to the cost? The ensuite is a bit of a luxury for us with a double vanity & double shower head. I have some serious medical issues of my own having had spinal surgery last year - and open heart surgery yet to happen... so we wanted to try & get some of our wishlist in here. We are a little concerned about moisture in the WIR so thought by having floor to ceiling louvres near the vanity might help the air flow? Also the addition of a long, high window above the shower would still allow for privacy, whilst also allowing another way to get the fresh air in. Is the ensuite/WIR ok or is it not practical/functional? Please let me know your thoughts. We are umming & aahing about a parents retreat as a private garden outside the master... not sure whether to enclose or not? The front studio/theatre/rumpus I was hoping might become my photography studio if my health ever lets me lol. As a maternity/newborn/family photographer, I need a significant amount of storage for props, blankets, outfits, gear etc. the WIR was for my larger props (think baby beds, buckets, wooden crates, large driftwood bowls etc) plus I have hanging space for my maternity gowns & the option for my clients to change discreetly. The powder room is there primarily for client use so they don't need to access the rest of our house... id like to try to maintain our privacy if possible. The layout could be fifty shades of rubbish lol... I have no idea if plumbing will be an issue or if the design is crazy so please, let me know. I've tried to imagine the functionality of this room if we ever sold so thought it could be used as a rumpus with pool table/man cave/home office/guest wing. Feel free to throw some alternative ideas here :) Sorry for the mills & boon :) but thank you for listening & I appreciate in advance, any suggestions you may have that we haven't considered. Cheers

Comments (57)