Houzz Logo Print
nik_yetman

What do you think of our dream-home plans?

7 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Hi fellow Houzz'ers, I'm a long-time follower, first-time poster :) Hubby & I have found a house plan from a master builder we love, but have tweaked it so that it bests fit our family. We are in QLD. Please let me preempt this post by saying a few things:- 1. I can't draw lol 2. My amendments are not to scale so I don't know if they are viable options or not. We haven't spoken to our chosen builder about all this first, figuring it would be best to get some independent advice/suggestions - hence why I'm asking here :) The biggest changes we have made are the main bedroom/master and the front room which was originally another family/dining space but I've changed to a studio/rumpus/theatre room. I've also extended the alfresco. And removed the internal laundry/garage access door to create an exit point from the laundry, directly to the yard. The main bedroom originally had a separated WIR & ensuite which I personally didn't like. We have changed it so that the room flows much better, but also allows us to better hear our son who at almost 20 months of age, has a rare form of epilepsy - so we need to be able to hear him & have quicker access from our room to his so he would be in the adjoining bedroom. Our young daughter (almost 5) would be in the next room. Bedroom 4 may end up as a room for my mum on a short or long term basis. I'd love all 3 bedrooms to be a little bigger with the option of a WIR to bed 4... but I think that would mean extending walls & I presume this would add further to the cost? The ensuite is a bit of a luxury for us with a double vanity & double shower head. I have some serious medical issues of my own having had spinal surgery last year - and open heart surgery yet to happen... so we wanted to try & get some of our wishlist in here. We are a little concerned about moisture in the WIR so thought by having floor to ceiling louvres near the vanity might help the air flow? Also the addition of a long, high window above the shower would still allow for privacy, whilst also allowing another way to get the fresh air in. Is the ensuite/WIR ok or is it not practical/functional? Please let me know your thoughts. We are umming & aahing about a parents retreat as a private garden outside the master... not sure whether to enclose or not? The front studio/theatre/rumpus I was hoping might become my photography studio if my health ever lets me lol. As a maternity/newborn/family photographer, I need a significant amount of storage for props, blankets, outfits, gear etc. the WIR was for my larger props (think baby beds, buckets, wooden crates, large driftwood bowls etc) plus I have hanging space for my maternity gowns & the option for my clients to change discreetly. The powder room is there primarily for client use so they don't need to access the rest of our house... id like to try to maintain our privacy if possible. The layout could be fifty shades of rubbish lol... I have no idea if plumbing will be an issue or if the design is crazy so please, let me know. I've tried to imagine the functionality of this room if we ever sold so thought it could be used as a rumpus with pool table/man cave/home office/guest wing. Feel free to throw some alternative ideas here :) Sorry for the mills & boon :) but thank you for listening & I appreciate in advance, any suggestions you may have that we haven't considered. Cheers

Comments (57)

• PRO
    7 years ago
    Haha!!! That is my appalling writing! 2CBE is actually ROBE :) I should've also preempted my post with 'can not write very clearly' lol. Sorry about that.

Thank you oklouise, I thought as much with the ensuite toilet... thank you for making it 'clear' :)

That's great there is room for a shower in the studio! Excellent!

I'm so impressed with your ideas! After reading lots of posts & seeing you helping others, I was stoked to see your reply:)

Thank you so much :)

Did you think the flow of the kitchen, pantry & laundry was ok?
  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

glad you're pleased...the kitchen is OK but i need to know what you'd like to have in the kitchen because it has to suit your family eg what do you expect to use the pantry sink for, where would you want a dishwasher, do you like double sinks, how many sink drainers do you like, what will you store in the pantry, what type of stove (size not brand) oven and fridge and/or freezers do you want, do you plan to wash up in the pantry, do you have crockery and cutlery for "good" and everyday, do you do a lot of baking, do you already have or plan to have lots of kitchen equipment, saucepans, cake tins, appliances etc etc ...describe how you like to work in the kitchen, pantry and laundry and where you plan to have a clothesline

• Related Discussions

What do you think of this floor plan for a new build?

Q

Comments (103)
    When I first wrote in August 2017 we got a lot of great suggestions and comments. At the time we had accepted the limitations of the block (easements, tree, solar access etc). It is now one year later and I can tell you we found a way to move the garage to the south-west corner. This allowed us to move Beds 2 and 3 and the bathroom to the northern side. Pantry and laundry between garage and kitchen/living/dining. I think it was all of the comments and suggestions that encouraged us to look at it again from different angles, rather than just accepting the limitations. Thanks to everyone for their generosity! The solution involved working around a lovely tree (it is nice, just in the wrong spot). It is still in the way (council said we couldn't remove it) but we've opted for a long, curving driveway that starts on the other side of the block and weaves its way around the treeline to the garage entry. Not ideal, because a large portion of the front setback will now be a hard surface, instead of a garden. But if there is one thing that designing teaches you - its all about compromises. Thanks everyone. MB Design & Drafting Shara C Nik Star girlguides oklouise siriuskey genkii saragraham76 Andy Pat brizcs Mel N 3D Home Concepts suancol Caro
    ...See More

Floor-plan feedback/ideas needed -What do you think of this floor-plan

Q

Comments (51)
    siriuskey, Yes, the courtyard is open to the sky (no roof over it), I assume this is what you mean by double story. Ref. below photos, I would love to get this look, especially the first and last photo, where you can see family living space from the first floor. I can't achieve this in my plan as it eats a lot of floor space upstairs. The referred plan (photos) has a very big void combining staircase, hallway and dining area. I know it is not easy with cooling and heating when you have such a big void. So, I explored a few ideas (with my limited knowledge on this topic) before achieving the current floorplan. I have also thought about, in my current plan, extending the void on the staircase to the dining area (it is more like L shape) but i wasn't sure if that makes any difference. keen to hear your thoughts.
    ...See More

What do you think of our reno plans?

Q

Comments (47)
    Appreciated am coming in late to this conversation, but generally the ideas are there, but I'd be playing with it a bit more.......there are 2 big ones for me here. Firstly missing the opportunity with the master suite. The whole thing should arguably be flipped so the bedroom space is to the rear/outlook to the pool and the bathroom/robe amenity internalised. If you're going that far with extension works arguably a bit of structure/engineering implemented to support the upper level is worth the investment to get the layout working. Design decisions should always be driven from the experience of the space. and 2. Not that convinced about the flow from entry to main living through an internalised dining space. Its like the kitchen/living/dining relationship is similarly not functionally balanced,. It's like the dining should be aligned with the kitchen space and living then separated....How exactly is that living space intended to be furnished?? At this design stage furniture should always be on the plan. You have to design from the inside out, make it work functionally and then deal with the walls/windows/doors etc last What's you're budget? Has your design given you projected costings on this? You want to make sure you don't need up with a conservative design solution that ends up costing you more than you wanted, and you then spend the money anyway but miss the opportunity for a much better resolved, higher value option than makes sense spatially for the way the house will be used and experienced. Best of luck PD :) www.pauldistefanodesign.com
    ...See More

What do you think of our house plans?

Q

Comments (30)
    Thanks for the feedback everyone. Lots to learn and so much to consider. I ended up doing more research to decide sizes for built in and walk in robes. We decided to keep one of the bedrooms at the front of the house to be used as my husbands work space. We have 2 kids and get interstate visitors often which is why we initially wanted a study plus 4 bedrooms. But I like the idea of a living space to break up the hallway a bit and to let some light in. I know we have to think about the northern light for the front room, but my husband works in there every day so I think it works better energy-wise. We moved the guest bathroom closer to living space as per oklouise’s plans (so helpful!!) and did a similar configuration. I think it’s nice for entertaining for guests to have easy access and not to have to walk past bedrooms to use the bathroom. With the reconfiguration and the extra length we added to the family/meals area. I think it’s looking like a pretty good sized area without going over our budget. The kitchen also no longer faces the hallway which is so much nicer I’ve attached our updated plans
    ...See More
  • PRO
    7 years ago
    Thoughts about the kitchen/butlers pantry... ideally, the butlers pantry will have a double sink or one large sink, dishwasher, kettle, toaster & house other major appliances. I'm thinking breakfast & lunches will be prepared in the butlers pantry so the main kitchen stays mostly keen during the day - while dinner will be done in the main kitchen so I can be a part of the crazy dinner night time family routine... wouldn't want to miss it :)

I would still like a double sink or large sink in the main kitchen.

The island would be used as a breakfast bar & hopefully one end might have shelves so I can display recipe books.

Fridge in the kitchen with a large stand alone freezer in the butters pantry which will hold lots of pre cooked frozen dinners.

Oven needs to be a decent size... currently have a 60cm stainless steel wall oven & it's definitely not big enough for our family. In saying that, I haven't really shopped around either. It will need to be up high in a tower (away from little fingers), preferably with the microwave.

We have a traditional roast every Sunday night... while I bake cookies/cakes for the kids & hubby every week, along with 2-3 more meals in the oven. The remaining 50% of our weekly meals would be stove top, grill or BBQ so our alfresco area will be used regularly.

I have some very special dinner sets/Christmas crockery/crystal and our everyday sets too.

We don't drink (once every 6 months because of my medication & we need to be alert for our son) but thought it might be nice to have a built in wine rack/bottle display out in the main kitchen?

I hope I've covered everything :)
  • 7 years ago

lots of good details but where do you plan for the clothesline?? could lose the external laundry door and walk out through the alfresco or through the rear garage door down the side of the house?

• PRO
    7 years ago
    Clothesline would be right outside the laundry door... with my limitations/disabilities, I'll need it as close as possible. On the original plan, the laundry door went via the garage before exiting outside. I was hoping to limit the amount of doors I'd have to navigate... that said, 3 doors off that little laundry seems a little much? What are your thoughts oklouise? I'm loving what you're coming up with so far :)
  • 7 years ago

as you plan to do so much food prep and clean up in the pantry i'm thinking that it should be more of a little kitchen than just a storeroom so taking some space off the main kitchen to enlarge the pantry also makes the laundry more of a mudroom with access from the garage and outside...btw think about if you need/want a closing door between the pantry and main kitchen

• PRO
    7 years ago
    I agree with what you said :) sounds great... the practicality of a laundry/mud room. And I think a door between kitchen & butlers pantry would be the go :)
  • 7 years ago

suggestions for this rough plan include stacked wall oven and microwave and the fridge close to the breakfast bar and pantry prep area, double sink and dw in pantry with alternate dw in island (closer to the dining table, island and alfresco) space for large upright freezer in pantry, 90 cm wide cooktop with extra oven underbench (NB new ovens are cool to touch and lockable) there's more space in the laundry with overhead cabinets for cleaning products and iron and the vacuum and linen to be stored in the hall cupboards, wall cabinets on the garage side of the kitchen show some ideas for wall storage and all underbench storage should mostly be in drawers and walkways between counters should be 90cm at the ends of the island and 120cm between sink and cooktop (easier to reach between the counters to reduce walking and reaching between counters

• PRO
    7 years ago
    It's a very well thought out plan :) thank you for your consideration of my young ones & my limitations. The layout helps me considerably, so thank you.
  • PRO
    7 years ago
    Oklouise.... I just remembered that we need a study nook? With our little ones eventually heading to school, I want somewhere out in the open where we can keep an eye on their computer work ... although I believe most of it is being done on iPads these days, just wondered if you might know of a location on the plan that might suit? It may also double as the place where I edit client photos so would be great to be somewhere open so I can still be cooking etc. if you have time I'd be grateful for any advice or suggestions you may have? :) thank you
  • PRO
    7 years ago
    I'm just wondering if we steal some from the studio WIR and access the study nook from the family room side.... would that work?
  • 7 years ago

tried to add the study nook to the studio and discovered a better arrangement for the studio table area (studio "office" or sit with clients or granny flat kitchen) then realised that there was some space that could be taken off either the guest room bedroom (reduce the guest room to match size of beds 2 and 3) or my favourite: reduce master wiw so that the study nook becomes part of a full wall of bookshelves above 750mm tall (desk height) storage cabinets (toys, games?) with 1500mm wide by 750 deep desk space (more space for spreading out photos and for kids doing painting etc) in the family room, totally under observation from the kitchen and seating areas and also away from traffic btw the door to the studio ens is deliberately on the alfresco side so it can be accessed from outside

• PRO
    7 years ago
    Thank you for giving us some great options! I really appreciate your time & expertise :)
  • 7 years ago

you're very welcome..i was also thinking that you should opt for wider doors in case you need to use a wheelchair or crutches after surgery and also install grab rails in bathrooms as well as a fold down seat in the shower (installed during construction they look so much better than added later and the grab rails can also be used for towel rails and we also use ours for hanging a washer or floor mat and the seat is great for resting a foot while washing...good for everyone not just for illness or injury and look so much better than flimsy angled rails

• PRO
    7 years ago
    That's really thoughtful ... thank you :) I think that kind of foresight has been reflected in your design & I'm so appreciative of that.... you really took the information I gave & applied it very perfectly & practically for our situation. Including moving the robe in our son's room to eliminate another 'sound barrier'... thank you for 'thinking of it all'. It's been such a treat to have your input on so many levels :) I have been showing hubby & he loves your ideas too - especially with how much the layout you proposed simplifies our life & helps me too. Thank you... sincerely :)
  • 7 years ago

your appreciation is very much appreciated!! and, i just wanted to add in the windows and a few other details that might be worth considering and, rereading all your info, i realised that i hadn't included the parents' retreat but, instead of adding extra space, you'll see that by rotating your bed there's enough space for a couple of lounge chairs and small table and, with a screen fence, a pergola, some nice planting and few pavers outside you should have a good area that could also be matched at the studio end,

• 7 years ago

a copy of the plans without all the furniture will be easier for the builder to read

• PRO
    7 years ago
    Just amazing oklouise.... blown away by your attention to detail... so important when building a house for someone like me to overlook some details... I'm stoked to have you throwing your suggestions/ideas at us because we have someone outside our excitement & rose coloured glasses to actually bring reality back into the picture lol! Thank you for all your time.... and providing us with your designs ... I'm so very grateful :)
  • PRO
    7 years ago
    Oklouise - just me again lol.

Hubby & I absolutely love this plan. I was just hoping (only if you have time & want to - please don't feel obligated) - if you would mind making an adjustment?

With the ensuite, is there anyway we could turn the double vanity & double shower head around as per the original plan?

We were hoping by facing it back the way it was, we could make use of views from both the shower & vanity to the garden - versus a frosted window facing the alfresco area. I realize we may lose WIR space & thought that instead we could lose the end linen cupboard but keep the linen cupboard near the main bathroom & hallway near the master you so kindly created.

Again, please don't feel obliged

Thank you again,
    Nik
  • 7 years ago

glad you like the plan but especially pleased that you want to have your own style....the ensuite should have highlight windows towards the alfresco to improve ventilation and the sliding door between the shower and vanity area should be full height to contain steam inside the shower area and you would have a "loo with a view" (with or without the door) and the hall door for the master could be any where along the hallway

• PRO
    7 years ago
    That's fantastic! A loo with a view lol! Love it :) I really appreciate your time & expertise oklouise. Thank you sincerely. That looks terrific ... we love it.
  • 6 years ago

What an amazing effort from oklouise!

Looks really good Nik Star. I'm no expert, but I am going through a similar thing. One thing we considered was the ability to walk through the garage into the laundry and have direct access from there into the pantry. Think bringing home bags of groceries. Access from the garage to the laundry is great, but then you'll do a big weave through the kitchen to be able to put items away in the pantry. Having said that, I don't have an easy fix to offer.

There is much to like, however, so it may not be worth changing it.

Good luck!

• PRO
    6 years ago
    Hi Crocker Castle,

Thank you :) oklouise is such a thoughtful, generous & knowledgeable contributer.... we Houzzer's are lucky for her help :)

It is hard isn't it? Trying to get everything just schmick lol?!

You raise a very valid point, thank you. The original plan had the laundry & butlers pantry connected. But then I would worry the poor laundry had access from all 4 walls ... given our disabilities & issues, you're right though :) or I just order the groceries online & have them delivered directly to the kitchen lol.
  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

It's all a matter of compromise, isn't it?

We have MS in the family so I understand about access. Quite a few builders tried to convince us to increase the number of bedrooms, but didn't want to know about our desire for wider passages and no steps. To me that just meant more cleaning that was harder to get to!

At least doing your own design means you can choose where and when to compromise. :-)

• 6 years ago

Nik Star and oklouise

You're both welcome to comment on our floor plan!

[What-do-you-think-of-this-floorplan-for-a-new-build-in-a-cold-climate?[(https://www.houzz.com.au/discussions/what-do-you-think-of-this-floor-plan-for-a-new-build-dsvw-vd~4823392)

• PRO
    6 years ago
    And that's it isn't it - the impact a design (& ultimately finished product) has on the person/s with disability & their carer/s.

Our young son has a rare form of epilepsy - while I have had spinal surgery last year which hasn't fixed a dead left leg/left foot, am yet to have 2 more spinal surgeries & open heart surgery.

So our planning/considerations as you can fully appreciate, need to work well for those issues - and ease of cleaning - as I'm still trying my hardest to do that too, and be a mummy to 2 little ones. Basic things become monumental challenges for me.... but I'm a stubborn pigheaded pain in the neck & wont quit lol.
  • 6 years ago

living in a cold climate i'm very interested in your project and have just redrawn the plans to try and understand them better.. my initial reaction was to wonder about the garage position but i noticed you're aiming to utilise an existing driveway.. what is the width and length of the block? what is the proposed distance from the southern wall to the boundary? who will be living in the house? do you have any special needs or interests? do you have an outside clothes drying area? are there any local restrictions preventing the garage being closer to the street that the front wall of the house?

• 6 years ago

Thanks oklouise

I responded on the other thread, so I din't interrupt Nik Star.

[What-do-you-think-of-this-floorplan-for-a-new-build-in-a-cold-climate?[(https://www.houzz.com.au/discussions/what-do-you-think-of-this-floor-plan-for-a-new-build-dsvw-vd~4823392)

• 6 years ago
    Have you considered having the garage directly connected to the pantry? What worked really well for my grandparents was the internal access from garage to the pantry and even having overflow storage in the garagr like a bulk freezer or bulk food storage in the garage itself. lots of designs these days you see an extra couple metres depth on the garage to account for a coat cupboard and then extra storage of work area in the garage.
  • 6 years ago
    Also if you're in queensland, going for a deeper garage with a laundry actually in the garage itself might be an option. My aunt who has rheumatoid arthritis has their under queenslander laundry/garage set up that way so it's got clear access all around. That way it's open and accessible and you've got more room to move around the pantry and get simpler access with fewer doors and walls and pathways.
  • 6 years ago
    I like lots about the plan. My two cents worth. The powder room is a great idea but prob too narrow for a pregnant woman to get changed in. I've a 5 and 7yo. As they've gotten older I've noticed we really need a second living area (maybe bedroom 4 could be used) and a study nook that I can see from the kitchen.
  • 6 years ago
    I've just done a search on "laundry garage" to show you what I mean, I've seen it a lot in the states but it's less common down under for whatever reason. I think in qld you've got a more stable climate in a lot of places so the garage is a more viable option than somewhere like VIC with the weather fluctuations we get. Considerations for this option would include whether the slab needs to be spec differently to allow for the plumbing plus ventilation, lighting, maybe having transparent panels in the garage door to allow natural light in.
  • PRO
    6 years ago

I hope that you are planning to use the builder that the original plan came from. Even though you have adapted it the original copyright still belongs to somebody else . If you get another builder to construct your adpated plan you may find that the original builder comes after you for breach of copyright. Undercover Architect explains it all with this link: https://undercoverarchitect.com/can-you-use-a-floorplan-you-find-online/

• 6 years ago

Undercover architect makes a very good point, but does that mean that we the contributors to these threads by putting up altered plans are aiding and abetting a criminal act. And could also be liable ?

• PRO
    6 years ago
    Yes we are using the same builder who designed this - we love their quality, attention to detail & professionalism. They have an excellent local reputation & we intend to build with them :)
  • 6 years ago
    That’s great to hear Niki, I think the point that was trying to be made was that this site HOUZZ is a great forum for working thru ideas but a lot of people don’t value professionals work these days.
    I use an architect and this site so the collaboration we had was very 2 way and we will achieve an amazing home.
    I
  • PRO
    6 years ago
    Thank you Alexandra - great ideas! Thank you for your contributions :) I think the door from garage to pantry makes sense with our disabilities but I don't know how we'll manage it with our current plan. With my husbands work & the kids, access from garage to laundry/mudroom was key - along with access from garage to kitchen which is ok :)
  • PRO
    6 years ago
    I understand the point being made ... perhaps a disclaimer or moderator post by the administrator for Houzz to newcomers to the site, specifically requesting help/assistance/modifications to plans (kindly offered by Houzz contributors) could include a reminder on copyright/legal processes etc so they have that information available - with helpful links to undercover architect? An automatic process if you will on posts about plans etc.
  • PRO
    6 years ago
    Hi big reader :) the lovely oklouise has designed a very large WIR/storage area along with a decent size powder room/bathroom for my studio to accommodate my pregnant clients :) size wise we are a little constrained as bed 4 will become a guest room for my mum when she hopefully moves home from the USA - I'd like to give her a WIR so hopefully we can accommodate that for her. A separate activity room for the kids would be helpful but not sure if we could achieve that without making some big changes. I agree with you - study nook in the kitchen area for sure - keeping an eye on what the little ones are doing when school homework time comes will be important. I was hoping to make the studio a bit of a family home theatre room as the studio May only see clients twice a week. So it's a lovely big space, not to get much use. We thought having some bean bags we could throw down on the floor for family movie nights with a big screen tv could help make use of that space too?
  • PRO
    6 years ago
    I enjoyed reading that article you referred to Dr Retro. As a songwriter & photographer, copyright is very important to me so I understand it well. Doug - you're right. More respect to architects, builders & craftspeople on their expertise & honouring the copyright on their work should be a given - not modified nor undersold. It's not on.
  • PRO
    6 years ago
    * draftspeople (not craftspeople lol)
  • 6 years ago

My final bit of advice is even with the use of this site and professionals, still Quadruple check everything. Anything your not sure of or tell your design build team too and go over everything .

Why well as i have just found in my plans vs engineering, that the engineer changed a very important part of our build. And it got thru many sets of eye and authorities.

Now part way thru our build , we have to stop and go legal because the change that was made has caused major design flaw. And while it may be able to be fixed at some cost. The delay and heart ache it has caused has made us not even want the house now.

I know that sounds like a little rant but reading your feed, i note that you have some special needs and as we just went through this with elderly parents. I know that wheel chair access is a very big thing in design of house, as bathrooms and toilets. So planning is everything.

Hope your project goes well and maybe some before an after shots

• PRO
    6 years ago
    That's so sad & heartbreaking to read Doug. I'm really sorry to bear that. What a terrible shame for the shine to be taken off such a special & much longed for project. I can't imagine the depths of your disappointment & frustration. I appreciate your very wise advice & will take it onboard, I assure you. With our special needs & situation, we'll have to be meticulous in our planning - so thank you for the reminder to be vigilant. I wish you luck with your legal process - and I really hope for you & your family's sake, that things improve significantly, moving forward.
  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Hey Nik Star,

I've had a PowerPoint play with oklouise's edits. This is what I meant about garage entry to the pantry and a laundry in the garage. The red arrows are to stipulate to the builder that level access is required. I added extra garage depth to allow for the garage, that would definitely impact your facade elevation.

If you remove the wall between the butler's pantry and mudroom you would have a SUPER PANTRY! But a true butler's pantry in that it was supposed to be where you would land with the veg from the garden so you would kick your shoes off inside the door, so I've noted a little bench seat there, then head in and wash it before heading over to the actual cooking area. Then if you get rid of the sliders and reduce the storage to shallow shelving on the middle wall you would have plenty of space to manoeuvre with mobility devices.

For the washing labour machines - washer, dryer, dishy - try getting those mounted on plinths so the load on your poor back is reduced. I have dodgy joints so I am researching all the ergonomic ways to design work spaces to help me when I get to the awesome stage you guys are at with getting to build!

21st Century Bungalow · More Info

Wild Bear & Co Hervey Bay thanked Alex
  • 6 years ago

Hi Doug, I saw your thread about the silent change, so very disappointing, even professionals make mistakes as all human's do.

That's why I think this thread is very helpful to a whole lot of those without any previous experience to try to understand the whole process.

Building a new home can be a very stressful, large, expensive and long process, although sometimes it might look like there are too many ideas to take in from the Houzz thread, hopefully at the end of the discussion those embarking on this will feel that they are now far more informed and take back a list to their chosen Professional being Architect, Draughts, or Designer or who ever to finalize their Plans.

But as you know it's not over until it's completed. Even though you have had to deal with a terrible over site, you will love your new dream build and will have a story to tell.

We have just had a build near us and it went like clock work, the builder was amazing, so very important to pick the right builder.

Looking forward to seeing your exciting home progress into the beautiful swan you thought it would be cheers

• PRO
    6 years ago

Hi Alexandra! I had to laugh - I use PowerPoint too lol! I actually really like that idea to be honest, it's definitely got merit and hubby is keen to explore that option also. Whether we keep that space as a massive butler's pantry as you've suggested, or somehow stealing some room from there to make the WIR for my mum's room (Bed 4) is certainly a possibility too. What a marvellous idea! Thank you so much of your time and for suggesting it :) I love Houzz and the lovely people that spend their time helping others.... it's really very humbling :) Thank you x

• 6 years ago

I used to use snagit but that was on my work computer =D I was thinking it would be excessive if you closed it off so the walk throughs are creating a full scullery feel. I'm honestly not a huge fan of the current trend for these secondary kitchens behind teh "guest" kitchen - it's very weird to my thinking to hide the nuts and bolts of the kitchen. If it's a big storage space like an informal family entry where you have space to dump the shopping and take the kids' shoes off and keep the christmas tree and all the fancy serving wear and the baby junk in between babies etc... then it makes sense to me. So happy to help! I have an addiction to floorplans so it's great to have an outlet. Let us know how you go!

• PRO
    6 years ago

lol I love floor plans too - can't stop looking at them :) So thank you for sharing your thoughts with me..... I read your post with a big smile on my face :) Will do!

• 6 years ago

If ~5m of pantry seems excessive, this floorplan from Hotondo has one about the same length, if with different depth and fewer openings, first link is the floorplan for reference but the 3D flythrough is flipped.

Hotondo Homes Eureka 307

Hotondo Homes Eureka 307 Explore