Houzz Logo Print
asorbak

Western facing garden design help needed!

asorbak
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

We have a western facing garden that I would like to tidy up and give a more structured look. I want low maintenance plants, I don't mind watering, but I dont have alot of time to prune or trim hedges, as we have 4 small children. This garden is at the side of the house and is often neglected, but it is where I hang the washing and swing the baby and it is really nice in the winter, but very hot in the summer due to the western afternoon sun. It has a wisteria vine which helps in the summer so I would like to keep that. There is also a photinia red robin hedge running along the back of the garden which I would like to keep, but as the garden is overgrown, I cant get to it to trim!! I would like a french look with some olive type trees and lavender if possible. We live in Queensland Australia, but it is not as hot as most of queensland as we are 2000 feet above sea level here and can get quite cool weather. We are 2 hours inland so it can be quite dry. have a western

This is looking out the laundry door towards the west
This is looking to the left
this is looking to the right. The garden in the middle there is edged by rocks which you can't see due to the overgrowth
when I step out the laundry door and stand in the middle of the area this is what I see on my left.There is some wire mesh stuff against the corrogated plastic if you look carefully which I could grow a vine on. Behind that is a carport

Then is is what I see on my right.

This is looking back towards the house
This is the garden in the middle. I would like to keep the pot. I am in the process of planting it with succulents as that is about the only thing that will live in it!! ;)

This little garden has just got wood chips in it at the moment, because nothing really wants to live there. A very hot little spot in the middle of summer.

This is what it looks like in the long garden along the back

Thats about it!! Any suggestions appreciated!

Comments (7)