Houzz Logo Print
ltunstall

Advice on Floor Plan

Laura Kay
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Hi there, I was hoping to get some advice on the floor plan of our new house. It's a 1950s double brick home - currently 3 bedrooms and 1 bathroom but there is an extra toilet in the laundry. We want to change the layout in the future and I'm trying to work out whether we can do it without having to extend up. Specifically wanting to move the 3rd bedroom from the back to the front of the house - either by converting the loungeroom or by extending out the front of the house. Also wanting to move the kitchen into the back of the house so it's not in the middle - making it more open plan. My main issues at the moment are how to keep the second toilet or create an ensuite as the current bathroom is very small and also where to put the laundry. There is room to extend out the front of the house but not a lot of room out the back. Hoping somebody may have some brilliant ideas! Thanks in advance

Comments (39)

• siriuskey
    6 years ago

Hi Laura, congratulations on your new home, I have marked out some rough ideas for you to consider in your future plans cheers

• oklouise
    6 years ago

something like this?? but we really need to know the shape of the roof (hip, gable or?)..what rooms are part of an old extension (family room and rear bedroom?) what are the dimensions of the bathroom, toilet and laundry? is the existing laundry facing the street? do you have any good or bad views? do you want to have an outside entertaining area or future pool and where, what is your climate and where is north?

• Related Discussions

Advice on floorplan

Q

Comments (15)
    Without a scaled plan I have tips only. I agree with putting the hallway up the middle so that you make the most of the sunlight and not a rabbit warren. I think it is important to have a sunny kitchen (puts you in a good mood first thing in the morning). Use skylights if you can afford, they can really make a room. Try not to have a long skinny lounge room as it is way too hard to place your furniture, especially if watching TV is important. I also dont think a laundry and butlers pantry should be in the same room IF you plan on storing food in there too. The moisture / humidity from the laundry can destroy your food. Food for thought! :)
    ...See More

Seeking advice on floor plan layout for kitchen, dine, study & lounge

Q

Comments (35)
    I mentioned earlier to think about dropping the wall next to the stairs to hip or slightly higher height to allow for the TV, as this would further open up the top floor and perhaps show the street art, ie the framed print. I know that you don't want anything else hanging from the ceiling but because of the ceiling height you will need a reverse hanging fan to bring all the warm air down into the room that will sit up there if you don't. The heater is because you had one shown in your posted floor plan, this is one of the fires available on my 1997 CAD program, that's the colour it comes in but can be changed within the program cheers
    ...See More

Advice with floorplan

Q

Comments (14)
    I'm unable to reproduce the shape of the block precisely but if the house is pushed as close to the south boundary as possible there should be enough space for a 6m set back to the lounge and at least a metre to the side of the alfresco and garage with 2m from the laundry and bathroom with plenty of north facing garden for landscaping to frame the views and screen the road. My suggestions include only minor alterations that shouldn't challenge the builders (GJGardners own the plans so assume they will be building it for you)..lose the WIL in favour of a more generous PWDR, family and kitchen..towels can be stored in the three vanities and bed linen in freestanding storage or in the wardrobes, there's no biw in bed 2 in favour of free standing furniture for more flexibility for furniture placement, more generous ens shower and swapping the vanity and toilet in the ens makes access easier with the bed placed against the east wall to enjoy the views and it keeps the toilet noise away from the connecting wall with bed 2..the floorplan will be good provided careful attention is paid to location of doors and windows eg only a single doorway into the lounge for better furniture placement, a minimal west facing window and to be able to make the lounge a quiet space or extra bedroom..i've kept the sink in the island as my induction cooktop came with strict instruction that it not be used for a work surface..i've used a hinged door in the laundry for easier cabinet installation and to include a small window and hinged connecting door into the garage for better seal and added a paved extension to the floor of the patio and alfresco that could be added later and shaded with a deciduous vine covered pergola for hot weather
    ...See More

Advice on Floorplan for Heritage Home, with extension

Q

Comments (7)
    I too am planning an extension. It’s exciting but time consuming. Is the existing kitchen, sunroom, bath in an extension already. What is the floor and roof? Will this be ripped down and rebuilt? Did whoever drew up your current plans do any investigation of the condition of the current building? I ask because joining a new extension to an old extension can be expensive way of building.
    ...See More
  • PRO
    3D Home Concepts
    6 years ago

Have a rest oklouise,

You have the entry at the rear of house next to a laundry. When clearly they have a front entry thru a porch area. This is possibly a corner allotment, with main street frontage where porch is and while you have extended out the front like laura has requested siriuskey has made a much cheaper and easier solution .

• siriuskey
    6 years ago

Oklouise is a very hard working Profesional Draughts Person and contributes to many Houzzers requests with her plans. I have always just been an ideas person and if plans were needed for council etc someone like OK or an Architect would be employed to do this. One day I might learn to use a computer program as well. I do agree with you 3D that the house appears to be on a corner block, and that it's cheaper to try and keep as much of the plumbing together and in close proximity to each other. cheers

• Laura Kay
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you all so much. Sorry I am new to this so probably didn't provide enough information. The house is on a corner block and is north-east to rear aspect. The roof is pitched (I am not good with terms but I think hip) in the whole house except for the family room at the back which is flat. I believe this and the back bedroom were added in the 1970s but not sure why only part is flat. The laundry is just under 2.5m wide and the bathroom is 1.77 wide and 3m long. We are not precious about the garden front or back as it needs significant work but would like to leave some lawn space at the back as it is more private there and we have a higher fence/hedge there. Also a deck at the back could be a good addition at some stage. No good views. No plans for a pool. You guys are amazing with your ideas I am very much in awe of your talents!

• scottevie
    6 years ago

Building regulations may restrict your ability to build further forward (eg. Restrictions surrounding building further forward than your neighbour's)... If you haven't already looked into this sort of thing, it would be worth seeking professional opinion on how far forward you are permitted to go.

• Laura Kay
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Yes thank you we are the farest back from the street so I think we should be able to go forward. But obviously I need to talk to a builder just hoping to get some ideas of what might be possible

• siriuskey
    6 years ago

A deck or verandah across the back of the house would be a great addition as well, this could be under the new back section of the roof replacing the flat section. A good builder is gold. cheers

• PRO
    3D Home Concepts
    6 years ago

Very important point scottevie, most corner blocks have one main set back and bing a 1950's house usually you will find that neighbours has same set back. I would consult council first and find out all details of set backs and easements.

Next question is what is the fall of this block from back to front and other way. Being i see front steps up to porch.

Why to gain larger back yard if you have enough set back at front. As you say you may want to extend to gain extra room. Could you dig out to also put garage underneath.

It helps to have photo of property to really get good idea if making major changes.

• siriuskey
    6 years ago

Good advice to check with council, I'am guessing that your house is set back further than the others because it's a corner block, traffic safety, visibility, seems to me you have a lovely side and rear garden space already. You could look at being able to have a double carport/garage on the driveway to the garage, this would look great and the old garage could be a studio/man cave. cheers

• oklouise
    6 years ago

how many steps are there up to the front porch, how many steps down from the laundry door and the family room door? is the floor of the family room the same as the floor in the kitchen without any steps? which door do you come in when you arrive home with groceries? what do you love and hate about the house and garden

and does this roof look about right??

• girlguides
    6 years ago
    I'd make bathroom at least 1800 deep to fit bath
  • Laura Kay
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks guys, the front of the house is elevated so we could possible dig underneath and put the garage there - I'm not sure how easy it is to get permission to move the driveway. There's about 10 steps up to the front porch and from the laundry door and back door only one step down. The whole house is flat no steps inside. We use the back door the most and never use the laundry door. Oh yes oklouise I think that roof is right I'm going to try and find a photo. I love the high ceilings in our house (family room is lower with the flat roof) and I love how light the lounge and dining room are. I don't like our front entryway as it's very dark and I don't like the idea of the third bedroom being out the back. The garden needs a lot of work but I like our back lawn it's nice and flat and a good spot for our toddler to play.

• Laura Kay
    Original Author
    6 years ago

• Laura Kay
    Original Author
    6 years ago

We have a new fence in just haven't painted it yet. Also the shot of the back is old as we have now painted the mission brown windows white and replaced the old screen door.

• siriuskey
    6 years ago

Anything is possible it just depends on how much money you want/have to spend, moving the driveway and digging down out front for a new garage, very expensive,

I also think that your current driveway is in a much safer position being on a corner. Loving the new fence you have a lovely rear garden for children to play in.

A rear deck at the same floor level as the back of the house,( 1 step) would extend your indoor living area,even more so if the extension is on a lower level to the front of the house This would also make easy access for unloading the car and kids cheers.

PS: A structural engineer and council approval may be needed for any changes you are considering

• oklouise
    6 years ago

combining all others' suggestions this floorplan allows for a two stage approach with bed 3 becoming the kitchen, dining room becoming bed 3 (with wardrobe and storage taken off old kitchen), toilet being enlarged to include hand basin and side access, new laundry door to create more separation between toilet and kitchen, old kitchen becoming a walk through study with access from front hallway re arranged to create better use of the old kitchen...stage 2 adds a downstairs garage or rumpus room with northern windows and driveway access from either street (old garage becomes the mancave or playroom), upstairs includes new master bedroom suite and extra bedroom or retreat and, fingers crossed, the hip roof can be extended at the same level as the original to incorporate the extension with standard 2400 ceilings and a flat roof (with skylights) over the entry and front terrace

• siriuskey
    6 years ago

agree that it's best to have a whole plan and staged so as to be able to afford it, additions of that size will cost a lot of money to achieve a new master and garage/driveway.

With you being a young family of 3 which may become 4 - 5 I would be looking to do the most affordable update to your home to accommodate your family needs now and if in the future you decide you can afford to extend do it. Keeping in mind that any plans drawn and submitted for approval have limited time in which you can use them, we had 3 yrs, and this can add considerable cost.

As previously I have suggested moving the kitchen into Bed 3 which would have the back wall of full height pantries and wall oven the other side starting with the fridge would have an opening servery with stools to the outdoor living area, a BBQ is also next to the kitchen. Sink and dishwasher, the cook top at the end

You mention not using the laundry door? if so that will allow more space for a combined laundry pantry, a laundry sink close up to the kitchen is a boon, like having two sinks in the kitchen. I have combined the WC & parts of bedroom 2 and the laundry to allow for a second bathroom, It's not big but should be able to have a bath with shower over, vanity and WC, very important to have at least 2 WC's

Bed 3 is a bit reduced but it could be the kids play room for now and share bed 2 for sleeping most little kids love to share this room. And the Lounge/Living could be multi purpose Grand Parents/guests/parents retreat/media.

I am attaching another wonderfully drawn floor plan which I'am hoping you can understand, along with a couple of photos which could help describe where I'am going. cheers

Tailored Interior · More Info

Tailored Spaces, Clever Layout · More Info

A contemporary shaker style kitchen · More Info

Bulleen · More Info
    your possible out door area in reverse

• Laura Kay
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you so much these suggestions are great. i definitely agree we need to do it in two stages. Oklouise I can't see your outline of the back of the house am I missing seeing a photo?

• oklouise
    6 years ago

ooops!! here's the rest of the renovated original...i haven't included an extra bathroom in stage one although the old bathroom could be renovated to improve comfort

... this rough cross section might make it easier to understand how it all fits together

• siriuskey
    6 years ago

Ok glad to see that you have moved the kitchen and entrance from your original drawing this is much better we can both agree on that, I just thought it would be better to link the kitchen & laundry. Didn't like your idea of making the new entrance via the laundry that was a bit weird, sorry, what did you think of that idea Laura

• User
    6 years ago

Some awesome ideas here, but no talk of specific budget. Depending on where you are Laura, it looks like the number of proposed mods, you may be getting very close to being on par with knocking-down and rebuilding (argh, yes I know, I hate it too...such a pretty cottage). You mentioned double brick walls internally. To keep costs down and make a reno viable to this house, I think you'd need to look to maintain as many of the current walls as possible.

It'd be good to hear from someone like MB.

• siriuskey
    6 years ago

Oops, sorry Laura you did say you hated the original entrance so Ok's original suggested floor plan might work for you. Mel, totally agree with trying to work within the current walls and plumbing, the updates to this lovely cottage are starting to look like a $400 Reno/addition

• siriuskey
    6 years ago

Another simpler floor plan working within existing walls, Move bed 3 to dining, laundry becomes a laundry cupboard using the old kitchens plumbing. The laundry becomes the family bathroom. Large doors to lounge room to let light into entrance foyer, this room can be multi purpose. This would be very cost effective. Th only other thing I would consider is to extend out pavilion style the family/kitchen/outdoor living and an attractive pergola carport near existing garage

• Laura Kay
    Original Author
    6 years ago

We have some friends who owned a similar house down the road and they have just knocked it down to rebuild. The costs were just too expensive. So sad because I just love the character so much of our little house! We are going to be here a long time so we are hoping we could come up with an overall plan and then do the renovation in stages if necessary. Siriuskey if we put the laundry in where the old kitchen is do you think it matters not having a window? Presumably you can vent a dryer up through the roof? There is a skylight on the other side of the kitchen where the new hall would go but that doesn't help the laundry so much. Mind you I did see a new house recently that had a laundry in a cupboard so I guess it must be okay! I am going to need to chat with a builder for costings I think but I am curious what it would cost to add a bedroom/ensuite on out the front to see if that would be viable or whether we need to stick with the existing structure.

• siriuskey
    6 years ago

Hi Laura, My suggestion for the Laundry as for a good sized cupboard with full height doors to close it off, yes you can vent out through the ceiling and then outside.

The extension would be quite expensive, remember you still have the living room for any extra other bedrooms.

Your Master will have it's ensuite by using the existing bathroom next to it, saves a lot of extra money to update the bathroom for this purpose, all plumbing is there as with the new Laundry using the old kitchen plumbing and the old laundry becoming a family bathroom.

If I were to do anything I would make the kitchen family bigger by extending out. This way you can keep the charm and character of your house and enjoy life with your little family cheers

• Laura Kay
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks Siriuskey I think you might be right. If we extended out the family room too we could put the dining table in there as well and then maybe French doors leading out to a verandah. Do you think the current size of the 3rd bedroom is big enough for a kitchen or we should possibly extend that room out by a metre or so too?

• siriuskey
    6 years ago

I would do the whole space with the same roof, so that you may even have a WIP, love french doors,

• oklouise
    6 years ago

if you decide to have the internal laundry a condensor dryer will help with condensation but to have the extension for the family room and kitchen with one roof would involve removing and rebuilding the existing roof back over the old kitchen to alter the shape of the roof and would be much more expensive than a simple skillion (flat) roofed extension to the family room (depending on the height of the existing ceiling and distance to the north boundary) and the kitchen already has enough space for the standard inclusions and the ideal walking space between benches and i've added more suggestions for the laundry and family bathroom with an extra separate toilet

• siriuskey
    6 years ago

I have noticed that people worry about condensation in Laundry cupboards, and it's such a simple thing to deal with, we did laundry cupboards and the F&P dryer had duct kit that was fitted to the dryer and then out through the wall across the ceiling and came out through the eaves (Not the roof). Worked beautifully and when the laundry door was closed it was very quiet even with machines running. The laundry cupboard still allows light and a decent passageway through the house

Kitchen and bathrooms sell houses and add value. I think maintaining the existing rooms as much as possible and turning the current bathroom into the ensuite is a great solution to give you a better Master suite. you would just need to add a door at the entrance to the master The laundry becoming the family bathroom with toilet for everyone to use including visitors.

The possible extension to the rear of the house across the one wall (Living/ dining/ kitchen would be more affordable than doing two walls, the new rear wall would mainly be made up of doors and windows.

The one thing I would like to see is to keep the roof extension in sympathy with the rest of the house., tall ceilings and character, would make your house look and work brilliantly.

Everything comes at a cost, but making these changes should prove cost effective, instead of the expense of adding a new double garage and master suite to the front of the house. Keep the charm of your house and by spending time in the front garden would really make a difference, cheers

• oklouise
    6 years ago

the reason the old family room has a skillion roof is because it's not possible to add an extension to the original roof without changing the shape of the roof over bed 2, old kitchen and dining rooms which is a very expensive project unless you wanted to include a second storey over the family room at the same time (staircase would fit over the cupboard laundry) and the size of an extension at the back will be determined by the height of the existing ceiling as the further out you go towards the garage the lower the ceiling has to be and the biggest cost will be changing the structure of the roof and ceilings...time to have a structural engineer confirm possibilities and then you'll know what space is available

• siriuskey
    6 years ago

Changing the roof could be expensive over sticking with the flat roof, As was done back then verandahs were filled in to make extra rooms and always had a flat roof, creating the lean to look at the rear of many houses.

I would get a builder or such to give you there ideas & costs for building the new tiled roof to match the existing house out over the rear of the house, ie: Kitchen/family /dining.

I was brought up to say can and not can't, but everything we do must be affordable and within budget.

The same roof for the whole house would be the best way to go forward so it looks as though it's always been like that.

And as always speak to engineers/builders/council cheers

• Laura Kay
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks so much for all your advice. I'm not sure whether I should talk to a builder or structural engineer next to see what's possible?

• siriuskey
    6 years ago

give it a go, any help you get is a bonus. Just one question Laura, seeing that you have a corner block are you able to sub divide?

• Laura Kay
    Original Author
    6 years ago

No we can't sub-divide as I don't think the block is big enough for the minimum set by council

• siriuskey
    6 years ago

thanks just thought i'd ask, woudl be a good idea to have a designer/architect come out and give you some ideas cheers

• User
    6 years ago
    Structural engineers will charge for their time. Get a builder as a first point. Siriuskeys idea is worth consideration and research....imagine a duplex that you sell to pay off a big chunk of your mortgage?! Nice one!
  • siriuskey
    6 years ago

Hi there, getting back to building a possible Duplex, my experience with that was a family member did just that in Sydney.

It was a corner block with the original house at the top of the slope. A friend and neighbor at the time was an Architect and designed a second house on the block that was joined by double carport at street level and another room below.

It was effectively a duplex which takes less area than two houses. Torrens title and able to be sold separately.

They first did extensions to house A and then built house B, sold House A and moved into B.

House B has recently sold for $1.7 mil. I have drawn a rough idea for you, might be worth a thought. cheers