kim_vanvliet67

Choosing the Dulux paint colour for cabinets and splashback. Help!

Kim
2 years ago

We are renovating our kitchen which is really exciting after being here for nearly 20 years but am needing some help with colour choices.

I am set on having Caesarstone Frosty Carrina benchtops.

Our walls are Dulux Warm Neutral. Ceilings and trims are Fair Bianca Half.

We also have Hogs Bristle Half on hallway around the corner of the kitchen.

Was thinking about Natural White for cabinets. Have no idea for the splashback. Would it be too stark to have Natural White there too?

On one side of kitchen (where the cooktop will be) the splashback will be in between the FC benchtops and the Natural White cabinets. On the otherside, there will be a fair bit of wall (warm neutral) above the splashback.

Any thoughts/opinions?

• Kim
    Original Author
    2 years ago
    This is my current kitchen. The new kitchen will be same layout but many of the underbench cupboards will become drawers. The microwave will go above the new wall single oven. we will also replace the cooktop, rangehood, sink & tap.
  • Related Discussions

Help choosing cabinet colour for kitchen

Q

Hi Heather, whatever the selection - we always recommend to have the cabinetry finish match as closely as possible to your wall finish - as to not look like two contrasting whites, you may just consider repainting after you've made the selection. Dulux Natural white or Lexicon Quarter are both very popular selections - and not on the too cold or too warm side either. We also find that most clients too will mix finishes - for example using a grey for the upper cabinetry, or on the island bench - to create contrast, you may notice that between all white walls, benchtop and sink the white becomes overwhelming! Good luck - we are loving the sounds of how it is all coming together so far!
    ...See More

DULUX Beige Royal Colour for EXTERIOR ----- HELP PLEASE

Q

I bought beige royal w today and will start outside of my house to paint when it finish will post the photos as far as I searched it is nice colour the photo will submit in few days as it is double story house
    ...See More

Dulux Exterior Render Colour - HELP NEEDED!!!

Q

hahaha tribbletrouble...U kill me :)) No charge - every week they have a free consultant at my local dulux paint shop :) Question - Do you think Surfmist matches with Colorbond Dune ?
    ...See More

Dulux Wall Colour

Q

I love the cool greys. Although you stated Dulux paint I'm pretty sure you can have any paint tinted to colours from other brands and I love Greyology from Haymes. It comes numbered Greyology1 being the lightest. Easy then to increase or deepen your colour. Worth a look.
    ...See More
  • Kim
    Original Author
    2 years ago
    Going for modern polyurethane cabinets (maybe semigloss, not sure) with handles. The cabinets will come up to almost the new cornices.
  • annb1997
    2 years ago

I think you have picked a winning combination.

You can certainly also have Natural White splashback. Whether it seems too stark to you or not, may, in part, depend upon the type of tiles, size, pattern and layout. For example, octagonal shaped tiles, to my mind, would not look stark but rather understated interesting!

• annb1997
    2 years ago

Kim, what cabinet profile have you chosen?

• annb1997
    2 years ago

Had you considered tiling all the way to ceiling? Just trying to be thorough with my questions.

Is there any aspect to your kitchen layout other than what you have mentioned that you wish was different?

• Kim
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Doors will be flat panel. The splashback will be glass. So I need a Dulux paint colour to be painted on the rear side of glass.

• annb1997
    2 years ago

Kim, can you take a pic to show view of cooktop, rangehood, splashback & cabinets on that wall, pls? It will give a better perspective in order to respond more objectively.

• Kim
    Original Author
    2 years ago

As far as the kitchen layout... I would have loved to have done away with the corner pantry but, as the floor tiles that we have were laid nearly 20 years ago, I have not been about to locate them. Therefore, need to stick with the current shape. Changing flooring is not a financial option as tiles run through a large portion of the house.

• annb1997
    2 years ago

And all upper cabinets, incl ones on cooktop wall, will be arranged just like the current ones, with exception they will go to just under cornice? Rangehood will be exposed or under cabinet?

• annb1997
    2 years ago

It looks like there will be no wall colour showing on that wall, is that correct?

• Kim
    Original Author
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

we will be getting an integrated rangehood so won't be visible. The wall cupboards will be extended a little higher. The cupboards under the cooktop will become 6 drawers (2 rows of 3)

• annb1997
    2 years ago

Ok thanks Kim, I completely understand about flooring in relation to the pantry. As long as pantry's internal storage design works well, that's what really matters.

• Kim
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Yes. Barely, if any, wall colour showing on the cooktop wall. However, on opposite side which has the sink and window, a fair bit of wall colour will be showing directly above the splashback. If it was only the cooktop side needing a splashback, I was thinking having the glass splashback either warm neutral or perhaps hogs bristle half or quarter strength. But.... as both sides of kitchen are needing to be done ..., I'm not sure which way to go.

• Kim
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Having pantry amended a little bit. The shelves will be indented more to make the lower shelf more accessible.

• annb1997
    2 years ago

Thank you again for pic. Integrated rangehood will be fabulous. Very streamlined. Natural White glass splashback paired with Natural White joinery will really brighten and lighten the entire look of your kitchen. Semi-gloss finish will bounce light around as well. Some prefer matte so fingerprints aren't quite as obvious, but if that isn't bothersome for you, then why not. Matte will also reflect light but of course not quite as much as semi-gloss. It really is your choice and whether one of your goals is to have a much brighter kitchen than your current one.

On the other hand, if you think you might like a little contrast between Nat White cabs and your gorgeous Frosty Carrina benchtops, then maybe look at a neutral white with a touch of warm grey to pick up on the grey veins of the stone.

• Kim
    Original Author
    2 years ago
    wow. Thanks for all your advice Ann. You have made me feel more confident with making these big decisions. I am wanting to really brighten up the kitchen. Shall check out the Neutral White too.
  • annb1997
    2 years ago

Here's a look at how this combination looks. I'll also post another combination for splashback, but at a glance this particular scheme works very well.

Do you need any under-cab lighting factors in? Overhead lighting remains the same?

• Kim
    Original Author
    2 years ago
    Lighting to remain the same at this stage. any suggestion re splashback ? looking at paint chart ... Snowy Mountains, Casper White and Terrace White seem to have a grey undertone.
  • annb1997
    2 years ago

What do you think of this colour palette? I'll take a look at those you just mentioned.

• annb1997
    2 years ago

This is opposite wall (cooktop) with cabs, splashback & benchtop.

• annb1997
    2 years ago

At a glance, I think Terrace White throws off blue and is too cool a tone. the other two are possibilities. You have a good eye, Kim!

• Kim
    Original Author
    2 years ago
    Thanks Ann. I may try to get some larger swatches of these two. Do you think I'd be better off having one of these for the splashback rather than having it the same as the cabinets ( natural white)?
  • annb1997
    2 years ago

Personally, I like contrast, so I guess that's a yes; however, I would choose based on seeing the samples together in diff combinations. If you have the opportunity to ask for opinion from a colour consultant, do so, as they have an in-depth knowledge of colour.

• annb1997
    2 years ago

Let me know what you think when you gather more samples! :)

• Kim
    Original Author
    2 years ago
    Thanks Ann. You've been awesome.
  • annb1997
    2 years ago

Window wall colour palette

• annb1997
    2 years ago

Cooktop wall colour palette

• annb1997
    2 years ago

Window wall

• annb1997
    2 years ago

Cooktop wall

wow, I'm loving this latest combination. Subtle contrast on cooktop wall with greater contrast on window wall. What do you think?

• annb1997
    2 years ago

Seems the Casper White tiny bit richer matched with Frosty Carrina, at least that's what my eye picks up.

• Kim
    Original Author
    2 years ago
    Yes. I'm liking the Casper White combo. The splashback will still be a "white" but a different undertone to that of the cabinetry. This may be a winner!
  • Lea R
    last year

annb1997, I know this is an old thread, but where are you getting all those colour cards from? Are they freely available or are you a designer? We're about to build and I'm worried my palette is too bland, but we do want neutral and 'safe' colours. Would love to check out these card combinations... Kim, hope you were happy with your final choice - it's tough trying to get things just right (first world problem, I know!)

• annb1997
    last year

Lea, I got them from the Dulux website. I screenshot certain colours, then posted them to thread. Of course, it’s always best to get sample pots and try your selections where you will be using them...need to see them in all lighting and in combination with each other. You may want to speak with a colour consultant at a good paint shop; they are very knowledgeable and helpful. Also, lots of great articles on Houzz.

You can can also post a Design Dilemna if you would like the wider community to mull over your colour palette and offer advice! Cheers.

• annb1997
    last year

Kim, what did you finally choose? Care to post photos? Would love to see.