webuser_170817650

Advise needed in choosing color for kitchen walls,cabinet & splashback

Aria W
September 2, 2019
last modified: September 2, 2019

I am renovating my kitchen in a property we are soon moving in. 2 kitchen windows face south and one faces west. I have decided to go with dark benchtop (charcoal/black) and white cabinets. Confused in selecting the wall and cabinet colours , as i want the kitchen to be bright and lively, don't want it to end up too white / bland. I will be using glass splashback but unsure on the colour as yet. We are also painting the living area and the hall way.

Any advise is greatly appreciated as we are beginning the reno soon. Pics attached for reference.

Dr Retro House Calls

It looks like you have a post-war home that has got a bit of a mid-century vibe to it. It is a pity that the decisions that you have already made about the charcoal benchtop and white cabinetwork are so bland, safe and generic, when you want something "bright and lively". Houses of this period often had lots of timber, warmth and colour in their kitchens and they were bright and lively.

Balcones Mid-Century · More Info

I would suggest you do some research on mid-century kitchens if you really want a bright and lively look before commiting to the cliched black benchtop/white cabinetwork that is so common, (and is anything but bright and lively).

Dr Retro

of Dr Retro House Calls

Aria W thanked Dr Retro House Calls
  • JE C

For something a bit different, I think the front of your island would look great painted navy - but I would pair this with white cabinets and a light coloured benchtop rather than dark. Love the colour of your timber floor.

Aria W thanked JE C
  • Related Discussions

Need help choosing kitchen benchtop

Q

From the pictures I see on Houzz, it won't work well. The Ceasarstone is a little on the yellow side, and Carreras marble is on the blue side. IMO it'll look like a mistake. The other concern is that you're introducing two patterns right on top of each other and they don't compliment well. I'd keep the chosen counters and use plain white (yellow undertone) subway tile for the back splash. Install it in a herringbone, or chevron pattern to add visual interest.
    ...See More

Splashback ideas? Needs colour!

Q

Rellish, did you have trouble getting matching grout and silicone? We're about to use the exact same tile in our bathroom. Also, did the tiler have any trouble due to the embossed pattern? Our builder thinks we need to install the tiles on top of the vanity as the tiles are not flat and it will be difficult to get a good, clean seal if the wall is tiled first.
    ...See More

need help on splashback for kitchen

Q

Thank you all I have now decided...wow that was a marathon. So I am going for a 3D tile in white laid vertical from Di Lorenzo their WOW collection called Delta. Boy I hope it looks good.
    ...See More

Kitchen splashback colour

Q

In or out of date just go with what you love! Colour is easily added and changed with accessories. But a splashback can always be altered later on as well, although at more expense. I really like the photo splashbacks. We're thinking of putting a picture of my fathers family farm behind it but I've seen lovely ones with underwater shots, fields, even a family shot. Go nuts. If you don't like it, change it later.
    ...See More
  • Aria W

Thanks for your reply Dr Retro. I have decided for a darker benchtop as they do not show stains easily which is a problem with my current light coloured benchtop. I really liked the idea of adding a yellow tiled splashback which will instantly lift the kitchen. Will have a look into mid -century kitchen to get some more inspiration.

• Aria W

Thanks for your reply JE C. Unfortunately, having a light coloured benchtop is not an option. The only way i can add some colour is with the cabinet and the splashback. The timber floor is great color, hence want to compliment it with some nice color combinations. Do you have any more recommendations. I have shared the design we going with. The layout is same as the current kitchen.

• JE C

I like the yellow but this blue might also be cheerful and sit well with your timber and a dark benchtop.

Northwest Hills Full House Remodel · More Info

• JE C

Or painting the island navy or petrol blue would still look good with a dark benchtop.

Aria W thanked JE C
  • Aria W

Thank you JE C. This colour combination looks very good. However, what catches my eye is the copper tone from the bricks . I am thinking of using a similar colour tone spalshback with tiles, which i think would look good. Your thoughts..

• JE C

I think that could look good, but you would want to make sure that it didn't clash with the floor using a sample ( and separating them a bit as they would in practice.) Google " copper red splashback kitchens" to see ones that work. In the phoro above the blue works really well with the brick colour so bringing some of that in too might really well.

• Aria W

Thank you for all the advise JE C. will look into it.

Lauren Shiels Interior Design

Hi there! If you keep your kitchen colours to the light warm greys it will balance out the strong top and the warmth of the floors. Then you could add some pretty mid century inspired but contemporary lighting and stools with a metallic accent to lift it.

Aria W thanked Lauren Shiels Interior Design
  • amonymousanne

Hi Aria , Colour can be in the sink , handles and lighting

• amonymousanne

More photos

• Aria W

HI Lauren Shiels Interior Design. Thank you for the suggestions. Love the pendant lights, will look great in the kitchen. I am inclined towards Vanilla Noir or Walnut Ceaserstone for the benchtops. Planning to paint the walls in Antique white USA as the room doesnt get much light in the mornings. I still havent picked the color for the cabinets. What is the colour that you have recommended in colour scheme. Thank you.

• Aria W

Hi amonymousanne. Thank you for the suggestions. I like the colored pendant lightings, great way of adding some colour. We were thinking of tile splashbacks, as it is easier to clean n in budget as well.

Lauren Shiels Interior Design

Would you consider Piatra Grey Caesarstone? It’s a bit softer and will work better with the timber than the Vanilla Noir, Walnut may look a little too Retro.. it will also be more forgiving matching with either cream or warm grey cabinetry. If you missed the drama of the black you could put it in the splash back.

• Aria W

Piatra grey looks good too. not as bold as vanilla noir. Any particular colour for the cabinet that you would suggest to go with the grey stone. Its very difficult to visualise the end result for someone like me, there are so many shades of white out there. we have to finalise our decision by tomorrow.

Lauren Shiels Interior Design

What brands are you looking at for cabinetry?

• Aria W

DO u mean color brands. I am going with dulux.

Lauren Shiels Interior Design

If the cabinets are a Laminex you could opt for a white linen

Lauren Shiels Interior Design

Go for a white with a warm base it will balance with the Grey and timber and look fabulous xx

• Aria W

Cabinets will be 2 pac

Lauren Shiels Interior Design

I’m in NZ and our ranges are named differently I don’t want to specify from the screen but if no one else can help I would test Light Rice against the bench. Feel free to send a pic through tomorrow but the subtle contrast should be really nice with the walls. If you get stuck you can call me on +64 027 3065533.

• Aria W

Thank you Lauren Shiels for the recommendation. I am looking into warm white colors to match with the bench top. Light rice would be slightly darker for my liking. I will check with the cabinet maker for other options. I will match the samples against the slab and see what works. Will share the updates.

Pure Creative Group

Hi Aria.

I think instead of charcoal you could go a lighter grey stone for your benchtop and if you have the budget, personally I would take that up and use it on the splash also. If you dont have the budget for this you could use a mosaic. Glass is a bit dated for splachbacks.

You could pair this with some navy for bang and timber for warmth. I wouldn't use too many poppy colours as these will date quickly. As the kitchen is probably one of the most expensive areas of your house you are going to renovate you want longevity.

I hope this is of some help.

• Aria W

Hi Pure Creative group thanks for ur advice. I am looking into groutless marble look tiles as an option for splashback. Not considering glass anymore. Using the stone will add onto the budget as my kitchen is quiet big. So will keep the splashback simple. What dou u think of marble look tiles

Pure Creative Group

Hi Aria,

It really depends in the size and format. Are they printed porcelain your referring to? If so some can be amazing and others not so good. Just shop around to make sure your happy with the product you choose. Personally if your not going to use something in one sheet I think smaller mosaics are better. See attached image for an example.

Cheers

Kaye

• Aria W

I am thinking how difficult will be the cleaning with the mosaic ones, as my style of cooking involves heavy use of spices and sauces. I liked the designs i have attached but something less busy. Less veins with marble effect. I definitely need to go and have a look in person.

Pure Creative Group

I understand.

There are a lot of composite marbles around like Caesarstone and porcelain marble look sheets however, some of these are as expensive as stone.

• Aria W

i have not looked into the splashback pricing yet, as i am still stuck onto the colour fr the cabinets. we have to decide it tonight. I have been looking at warm whites, as suggested earlier in the thread. Antique white USA in 1/4 strength i think will go with the grey colored stone. I have read tht in full strength it throws cream tones. NOt sure if this colour scheme will work. i still have to decide the wall colours for the kitchen.

We have finalised hog bristle1/4 for the living area with natural white for ceiling n trim.

Pure Creative Group

Hi Aria, I wouldn't go cream with grey it would come up a bit insipid. Go for a cool white one with grey under tones or a crisp white. Something along the lines of Qtr Monument or Lexicon. both Dulux. Good luck

Aria W thanked Pure Creative Group
  • Aria W

Hi Pure Creative Group thank you for pouring in your ideas. Lexicon quarter looks good. I will place the actual stone n color cards together. I was thinking natural white for the walls but read somewhere that warm and cool tones do not look good together. What color do u recommend for kitchen walls. There wont be much wall space as we have cabinets covering most of them.

Pure Creative Group

Hi Aria,

Sorry slip of the tongue before. I meant Manorburn not Monument!

Brain malfunction for a minute.

Manorburn could be good on the walls. If you want lighter you could go half Manorburn . See below. Looks much whiter when you see it on the walls than on a white background like this.

• Aria W

I am thinking if this would make the kitchen too dark as it faces south and doesnt get a lot of light of natural light during the day.

Pure Creative Group

It is very light when on the walls